End of the Year

Discussion in 'High School' started by blindteacher, Apr 22, 2009.

1. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

I'm extremely frustrated right now so please pardon any harsh tone that may come across in this post.

The time has begun. This time of the year gets me every year. I know we all look forward to the end of the year and want to relax but I make a huge effort not to overwork my students all year so that they don't die short of the end of the year. And yet they always do anyway. I wonder if my attempts to keep the year well-paced are worth it at all.

There are always those students that just stop caring. Come the warmer weather and they don't care. They don't rehearse their songs. They don't do their readings. How can I have a class if no one has practiced the song or done the reading? And some students lose all respect for me and for their peers. They figure "you won't be teaching me much longer so I don't have to care what you think of me anymore." They think they can just get away with saying things and doing things they never would have thought of saying or doing at the beginning of the year.

It's only April. We end in June. The last week of school? I can understand. But it's April! It's way too early to be falling off the wagon!

Thanks for listening.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 22, 2009

My AP kids know that we are really done after the AP test. After that we do only fun things. I understand your frustration though, my math students have A LOT more to cover before we end in mid june.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2009

Yep, as soon as we get back from spring break, it's a steady slide downhill. Absenteeism is at an all-time high this year; it's rather astounding - sometimes I have almost a third of my class missing. I have a class of 24 standard-level seniors, and while most of them are pretty good kids, there are a few who are starting to be openly uncooperative. One of my college prep classes is so checked out that I feel like I need a whip and a chair to get them under control! I love my seniors, but sometimes...:rolleyes:

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

I usually don't start this "fight" until the first of May. Thankfully, our Spring Break is always the last full week of March so our break isn't usually assoicated with warm weather since we are in the midwest. We get out of school late this year because we had quite a few snow days to make up so we go until May 28. So, my kids will be okay for another week or two, then we will start the checkin' out phase.

6. SAteach

SAteach New Member

Apr 22, 2009

We have been experiencing excellent weather here in TX. Plus we just began Fiesta (a 15-day-long party with a carnival and tons of food). Low attendance is the norm for my district, but now the "good" students are not showing up. Our small campus is trying to come up with ways to get the students to come to school regularly, but nothing has worked. Maybe we should have a carnival?

blindteacher - complain away. We all understand.

7. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Our guys usually shutdown for the year between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks..........that's not a joke, either.

8. AKTeacher

AKTeacher New Member

May 1, 2009

I am also having some difficulty with my students-- especially here in Alaska where it has been dark all winter and now we have a tremendous amount of daylight, I believe that students are staying up extremely late and coming to class sleepy and unfocused. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do?

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 1, 2009

I can't figure out whats up...my students have been suspiciously more well-behaved than usual since spring break. I though this was when they started going downhill?:dizzy:

10. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

May 2, 2009

Same with my students, after Christmas I usually see a decline in attendance but after Easter break, forget about it, 95% of my students have checked out mentally and physically.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 2, 2009

I have all of the juniors and all of the seniors in our school. I just keep rolling after spring break ... my students know that whining gets them no where. Spring is really busy with students being out of class due to sports, competitions, trips, etc but I just keep moving. Most of my students come along for the ride. The ones that don't get letters and phone calls home.

12. english_bulldog

english_bulldog Rookie

May 11, 2009

Students in Texas know that, unless you are in AP, school is essentially over after TAKS, the standardized test for the state. That occurs generally in late April. So, the month of May is chaotic. Absences increase, as do behavior problems.