End of the year work

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by blondierox4u, Apr 30, 2007.

1. blondierox4u

blondierox4u Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I am going to be out for a week at the end of May for surgery. It is the week before school is done. I teacher 6-7th grade math, 2 classes of Science and 2 social studies. I have the social studies work I know I'm going to give them as well as science. But my math classes are very unmotivated and I kind of wanted to do a weeks worth of skills review like multiplcation, division, fractions, word problems etc. Do you think that would be a good idea since I don't want a sub worrying about teaching them new stuff 1 week before school is done...also I was wondering if there are any good books out there to buy that I can make copies of to provide a good skills review packet typr setup????Let me know:thanks:

3. BeckyPie7

BeckyPie7 Companion

Apr 30, 2007

Review is always a good idea while subs are there. I rarely ask my subs to teach anything. Just leave HUGE packets of work for them to do. I hope your surgery goes well!

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2007

May I repeat Just leave HUGE packets of work for them to do. Times TWO

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

I think lots and lots of review is good. Mix it up between word problems and normal numeric problems. Perhaps even an extended response where they explain their answers. If you'll be back before the year is up, you could have some sort of incentive for finishing the packet, like doing a quiz off problems (write the answer to #20 on page 3, etc) from the packet for small prizes.

And DO NOT LET THEM TAKE THE PACKET HOME! Some kids will take it home, finish it, and then complain that they have NOTHING to do. Make it all in class, except the last day when they can finish it up before you return.

6. bettyb

bettyb Companion

May 3, 2007

Have them write and illustrate word problems for different objectives. They could make their own fraction books using their problems. Plus, review worksheets are great. Don't forget to leave the sub the answer key so they can check work in class.