End of the year student morale

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by riverdance85, Apr 7, 2013.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013

Hi all,

Another question I have is what are some of your thoughts/recommendations with student demeanor at the end of the year? I began teaching last year at a middle school and because I was brand new and more focused on lesson planning, I thought that the kids last year were starting to act up because they were getting bored with my teaching style.

Basically, I am looking for survival tips as well as recommendations in keeping students motivated as much as possible. I teach Spanish, so hopefully I can get some ideas that would keep students interested in the language.

Thanks a lot!

3. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 7, 2013

Good question-- I look forward to seeing others' answers to this!

I think the first thing to do is make sure you don't relax standards too much even if you feel the students start to drift. There's always some reason students might be acting up: "it's almost the end of the year, it's almost spring break, we just got back from break, we haven't had a break in a while..." and I think you are wise to plan for it rather than just assuming there's nothing you can do about it.

I have enjoyed finding some way to change things up a little bit for the last month or so, depending on the subject matter that still needs to be covered and the class. This seems to work as long as the change isn't perceived or presented as a "coast to the end." For example, in one of my English classes, we did a few different types of speeches at the end of the year. It signaled a change because we weren't doing reading assignments like we had been all year, but it still took work to prepare speeches.

A more independent project with well-defined expectations is another thing that has worked well-- several class periods were given as work time on the project, and at least with my students, they wanted to avoid homework as much as possible, so they did a decent job of using the work time. However, they also felt a little more freedom because they had less day-to-day work and some choice about how they would spend their work time. However, they were still working on a "big project," so it still mattered.

This may not work depending on what you still need to cover, and I'm sure there are many other ways to keep going strong-- I just found that a little bit of change can fend off the end-of-year inattentiveness just a bit.

Good luck!

4. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Apr 13, 2013

I went ahead and bought a sombrero and rearranged the room to add some spice. I also will try to have verb games to keep their attention. Thanks very much for the ideas!