End-of-the-year stress?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, May 27, 2014.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 27, 2014

Is anyone else feeling incredibly stressed at the end of the year? I feel like I should be relaxing and having fun, but the opposite is happening...Students are getting rowdier, routines are disrupted, final exams are looming...I am feeling like I didn't get enough done in my classes...And then there are the tough decisions about what to do for next year, although I feel like that might warrant a separate thread. Anyone else feeling the pressure at the end of the year? How do you help yourself get through to the end with sanity intact?

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 27, 2014

For me, this is how I feel every "end of the year" time. I'm just ready for it although I don't like it. Thankfully, I'm now on summer vacation. We do get through it!!

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 27, 2014

It's so crazy. We have so many stupid activities interrupting my flow. I am trying to wrap up tests/projects/etc. I hope this means the rest of the year just flies by!

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 27, 2014

I feel the same way. Plus we have an end-of-the year checklist as long as my arm. I'm nervous that I won't be able to get it all done!

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 27, 2014

Yep I feel it too. I have SLO's (student growth measures) that are for pay this year, the resident educator program stuff to finish and report to the state, final exams…. Will it get rehired again? How will my post observation meeting go?

Ready for summer that's for sure.

7. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 27, 2014

I'm feeling the same way as the OP, and I too was expecting to feel a bit more relaxed, not more stressed. Oh well, 1 more week of teaching, 1 week of review, and 1 week of finals to go. I can do that.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2014

I should be relaxed, but can't seem to let myself do it. Report cards are done, cum folders are done, workbooks/notebooks/supplies have been sent home, etc. I could walk out tomorrow and be fine. But I am SO TENSE. I keep running over the next few days in my head, like I would for a wedding or something. It's really weird.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 27, 2014

We have so much due this month. Thankfully, I have my SLO, running records, MAP testing, phonics assessment, and class lists completed. Now I just have to finish report cards, and try to keep my class under control with all of the schedule interruptions. Oh, and I'm out of the classroom the next 2 days, participating on an interview team for a new 2nd grade teacher. SO STRESSED. :(

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 27, 2014

Glad to hear I'm not the only one stressing out! Plus I am already thinking ahead about next year. I'm trying to stay in the present and take it one day at a time...

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 27, 2014

Make a one day, two day, and one week list-as you think of things, put them on a list by priority. That should help alleviate some anxiety. End of the year is very stressful!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 27, 2014

As my teachers were turning in tests to me today (I run the scantrons and print out reports for them), I reminded several of them that there's light at the end of the tunnel: 7 days of school left!

Summer vacation is right around the corner, my friends! :hugs:

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 27, 2014

Definitely a lot going on this time of the year. This is compounded by the fact that we're basically going to be forcibly kicked out this summer because they're putting in air conditioning so we need to start packing NOW!

We're definitely a lot rowdier, but in my class that's because we're doing catapults, goop, root beer, and (if I can get it working) a mission control simulation. I figured they were going to be rowdy towards the end of the year, so I planned a lot of projects for them to direct their energy into.

This week we have the 8th grade picnic, and then it'll almost be graduation. The very last week, I just show a movie, because they have yearbooks, and all they wanna do is go around and sign them.

14. live

live Companion

May 27, 2014

I feel the same way! I'm a fairly new teacher and (surprisingly) haven't felt overwhelmed at any point this year...until last week. Now I feel like I'm forgetting to do things and, since it's the end of the year, I won't be able to make up for it later.

Just trying to trust my to-do lists.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 27, 2014

It is more difficult, but I expected it because I was here last year since April and I remember how the students were. And my P kept talking about how it was going to get more difficult.
    We don't have finals, so I'm trying to keep up the rigor somewhat (our last day is next Friday). So for my students what they do in class now matters, because I told them they can still bring up their grade simply by completing classwork, or bring it down by not doing it.
    What makes it hard is the new students. We're getting new students almost every day, they're being released from juvenile hall or expelled from their school (I don't know why they do it in the last 2 weeks of school). Today I had 5 new students. They can't earn any credit, yet I need them to stay occupied and do their work otherwise they'll be very disruptive. Today it worked.

I'm just taking it day by day and keep telling myself that if it gets too tough I deserve to take a day off. So far it's going ok.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 27, 2014

Yes. I have a to do list a mile long. We still have 23 days left.

Open House is next week, so that's consuming all my hours right now. I've come to realize that Open House is really a mostly California phenomenon, so I'll explain - parents come in the evening and the rooms are decorated to the hilt with student projects. It's a TON of work, though the night itself is pretty enjoyable.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

It's in full force here. I thought we were winding down and I could get some things done in the office; however, I had a behavior meeting last Friday because a sped kiddo was being sent to alternative school. I have two IEP meetings today, one that could get ugly. And then to get to work on the office stuff that still needs to be done.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2014

Yes, there's a certain little stress level to get it all done in time, etc., but not the usual level as if I had a million things to do.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I met my SGOs, state testing is over, had my year end evaluation with P ...17 days left. From here on out, it's pretty much easy going...fun writing projects, hands on activities in math, science experiments...just a bit more relaxed but still good learning going on...plus some fun end of school year stuff: teacher kickball game, tie dye tee shirts with my class, faculty dance video, district celebration at country club...not really feeling stress...just trying to enjoy these sat week with my kiddos...:thumb:

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 28, 2014

I have to say, I'm pretty relaxed. This is the first year where I've known what I'd be teaching this far in advance. I'm excited for this year to be over, I have a few final projects to get completed, but overall, I'm in countdown mode... I don't have the same to-do list that home room teachers would have.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

The end of the year is always busy and stressful for me. We have our student-led conferences next week, finishing up grades, getting all the end-of-the year details done (mainly paper work, turning things in, getting signatures, etc.). I get a headache just thinking about it all.

22. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

May 30, 2014

The end of the year is hard. Our usual routine is disrupted with so many different things that we don't get informed about until the last minute, so it is hard to see how to get everything finished up, cleaned up, packed up, and done by the last day of school. We are supposed to turn in our keys the same day the kids finish up, or if we really need to, we can keep them until the end of the following weekday. I find it difficult to pack up my desk, finish grades, etc., with 36 or 38 kids who seem to need constant supervision at this point in the year--as soon as they turn in textbooks, some students really seem convinced that school is over, but there's more than a week left!
    This week, it seems as if certain girls are acting as if they have to hurry to get into fights with all the other girls who irritate them before school is over and they've missed their chance!

23. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 30, 2014

little stressed but at the end of the day/year what is really important?

prioritizing helps get the pressure off. just put the "must be done TODAY" on the top, draw a line and put the rest of the things that need to be done before the end of the year under it. if you get a few things done below the line YOUR AHEAD of the game. good job, have an ice cream sundae.

lol, that's how I deal at least.