end of the year--"separating" from your students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherheath, Jun 5, 2010.

1. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 5, 2010

I'm not sure that's the title I'm looking for. I have several students who have expressed a fear/sadness about the end of the year--that they'll miss me, miss school, etc. I get that, because it happens every year w/ some kids (while the others CAN'T WAIT :lol:). I have this one little girl who is getting so sad--I get several hugs a day, lots of "I love you," "I'm gonna miss you," "I don't want school to end," etc........ It just breaks my heart. I know school is a place where she's cared for, is predictable, and she gets 2 meals a day. She'll be okay, but it just breaks my heart. I just wish I could do something to make this transition easier for her???

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 5, 2010

I know its so hard for some students! When I was student teaching, I knew one girl who did not have a great home life (I suspect she was being at least emotionally abused) and had already dealt with suicide attempts (this was 7th grade!). She gave me such a big hug and was almost in tears on my last day of being in her classroom. It broke my heart and I still pray that she'd be a happy and healthy young lady.

What you could do is write her a note of encouragement. Last year I had a young lady for a student who came in doing not so great with science and by the end of the year she was getting A's and was such a great leader for the class. She got very close to me and she told me she was concerned about leaving and not seeing me again. So before the last day of school, I wrote her a note saying how proud I was of her, how she was a talented student, and that I knew she'd succeed next year in school (she's gotten straight A's in science all this year!). I think just having that token-- something a child can hold on to and remember you by-- is comforting.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 5, 2010

I think the note is a great idea.

Even the beginning of the last week I have "meetings" with my kids as a group (kind of like group therapy, now that I think about it). And give them an opportunity to talk about their fears for next year. I know that sounds hokey (psych major, can't help it ;) ) but for some kids I think it helps to hear others have the same feelings. I even express my fears at getting next year's group and how I'll miss them. You may even want to give them your e-mail or postcards that they can send to the school already stamped.

I was going to ask what grade it was but we had kids boo-hooing on the last day from K through 5th. It's hard.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

those are great ideas and I will have to remember these ideas. I send a postcard at the beginning of the year, but never thought about doing the end of the year. Thanks for sharing great thoughts which is why I love AtoZ.

6. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 5, 2010

I was planning on writing each kid a note. A postcard is an even better idea...it's always exciting to get mail!! And they're second graders, for what it's worth. There are days when I wish I could take about 5 of them home and just take care of them!

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2010

I had the same kids last year as I did this year, and I will have them again next year. They are still sad about leaving for the summer. Summer is hard for a lot of kids because school is the only stable environment they have. Can you talk to her mom and see if you can get her signed up in some sort of summer program?

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

I wrote my kids notes. I have one girl in particular with anxiety disorder. She ALWAYS got picked up if our class had to get divided into different rooms for some reason. The transitions are really hard for her. I just said things like "I admire your ability to complete work so quickly and neatly. You are a fantastic role model student! I hope you find something that makes school less scary for you. When I get nervous, I like to go home and snuggle my puppy....."

I hope my kids will appreciate little personal notes like that and they will be comfortable moving on. (It was also helpful for me too! I will miss them. :lol:)

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 6, 2010

I noticed that several of my kiddos were getting a litte concerned about moving to third grade, so I've arranged for the two third grade teachers to come in on the last day of school and introduce themselves to the kids. They'll also answer questions the kids have about third grade. I don't know why I didn't think of this before! My class seems very excited about it!

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 6, 2010

SO hard. My kids are all having this issue, which I think is pretty typical in kindergarten. We talk about how exciting first grade is going to be and the fact that they can all come back and visit me next year quite a bit.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2010

I send a note with each report card that has a poem, and I write a short personal note on each one. The poem encourages them to come back and see me (I teach 4th and our school goes to 6th). At the beginning of the year I give out my school email and a few students contact me that way. It's hard for some of them to let go, but I remind them that when they came in my room they felt that way about their 3rd grade teachers and were unsure of me. That means next year the pattern should stay the same. I do have one child that I am worried about. I made suggestions on which room to put him in, but he and I developed a special relationship this year, and I worry about next year.

12. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 7, 2010

We do a visitation day and penpal project during the last month of school with the grade level they will enter in the fall- the students have really enjoyed it because they have a buddy from the grade above and get to ask questions, etc. in preparation for that grade. Meeting the teacher, learning about expecations and addressing their questions get them thinking and help ease the transition.