End of the year report card comments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach1abc, Jun 5, 2016.

1. teach1abc

teach1abc Rookie

Jun 5, 2016

I am trying to finish up my report cards and am down to the last few comments. These kids are not the best behaved, don't put much effort into their work, and are right at grade level. Any suggestions since I need some ideas so I can be officially done with report cards?

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2016

"Have a great summer!"

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. teach1abc

teach1abc Rookie

Jun 5, 2016

I wish! Unfortunately, our district requires longer comments than that.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2016

Then tell them to have a nice summer and be wordy and verbose.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 5, 2016

I would call out their work ethic and behavior.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2016

Some people prefer just to use cut/paste sentences, some prefer to be pretty basic and wrap it up, but I end up using most of the character limit and try to identify a positive aspect (to their behavior, math, reading, and writing) and a goal / something to work on / next steps for each of those areas. It ends up being about 8 sentences plus a flourish of some sort at the end. Can you try to identify a positive and then a goal for each?

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2016

Since I am sure the behavior is not new from the last comments, you could say...
    ________ continues to lack motivation (or whatever it is). For next year, neatness, prompt homework, and better choices with peers will make a smooth third grade year.

One of my favorites was something like...The best way to prepare for 3rd grade is to read, read, read all summer long. Read books you LIKE to read. You sure enjoyed RAZ kids and that is available to you all summer!

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 6, 2016

Many of the report cards I signed simply stated: "Have a nice summer!"

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2016

Wow! Seems to take away the whole point of the "comment" section, but I suppose that's more a cultural/regional thing.

I was tempted to shorten mine / go a bit more cookie-cutter based on the student and what fits them, but I've had so many parents comment how the comments are as personalized as they've seen and how much they appreciate it, so I've decided to just do away with any cookie-cutter, and free-form most of them, truly speaking from the heart and giving both positives and goals.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 6, 2016

We are required to write a strength, a challenge and a next step for each subject area. Then we also follow the same format to comment on behavior. Perhaps using that format can help you craft an acceptable comment.

otterpop, MrsC and mathmagic like this.
  12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 10, 2016

I generally use an outcome that we've covered and state whether they've met the outcome or not...

Johnny has demonstrated an understanding of 1-digit by 2-digit multiplication. I'll use the same basic statement for all students, but adjust it to fit the student in question.

Edit: I usually use two outcomes for Speaking and Listening, two for Reading and Viewing, two for Math, and then I base my comments for Writing and Representing on how they've done with their monthly demand writing (areas of strength and areas for growth).

13. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 10, 2016

This is my typical report card.
    John has made a lot of growth this school year. He is currently reading on a DRA __ which is above/below grade level. Continue to read over the summer and remember to discuss the book like we have been working on this school year. He really needs to focus on ___ (retell, main idea, inferencing etc), John does well in math. He needs to continue to work on addition and subtraction fluency, this will help him in second grade. John is an excellent writer. He really thought out his stories and could write a beginning, middle, and end. John does need to remember to use his editor's checklist to make revisions to his story. I have enjoyed getting to know John this school year. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 10, 2016

agreed

15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 10, 2016

I would say something like "__ is reading at grade level. Needs to work on raising his hand for permission to speak." Or, "Does very well when putting in his best effort."

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2016

I need to write several comment of this length--English, Mathematics and Learning Skills (which is more of a general comment). For all subjects, we need to include concepts the students have learned, their individual of mastery of the concepts, strengths and weaknesses and next steps for improvements.