end of the year reading ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Apr 21, 2011

So, I'm getting sick of the basal and want to do something different while the kids are testing in a few weeks. I'm leaning towards doing reader's theaters, but don't want to over-do it. How many do you all think I could do before the novelty wears off and I have a class of crazy, summer-bound 4th graders on my hands?
    I know most of you are getting into a spring break frame of mind, so pardon my request for some thinking on such an occasion! ;)

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 21, 2011

In my experience with reader's theater and older kids, that novelty wears off FAST.

Can you read a novel? Or how about a poetry unit? I always liked this site for good reading ideas. Click on Classroom Resources->Lesson Plans.

4. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Apr 21, 2011

During our SAT testing, I did an author study on Chris Van Allsburg. We read the books, we compared and contrasted a book, then the students broke into groups and compared and contrasted their selections.
    We also did an author study on The Berenstein's and thier books. (They were Christian authors, so we said it went along with our Bible curriculum.)

You could do so many different things - novels, genres, poetry. Heck, they love just having books read to them. My students would literally pout if I couldn't read from our current novel that day! lol

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2011

I would use one round of reader's theater. With my sixth graders, this usually lasts about a week from getting scripts to presenting. You could maybe string it out for two if you have them make scenery and props.

I love the novel study, buddy reading, literature circle, etc. If you find a good book, you can do so much with it!

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 21, 2011

Google "mentor texts." We do this every year near the end of the year- we read a storybook to our class, then have them create a class book together. Some we have done include "Duck on a Bike" (we created Gorilla on a Bus), "Book of Similes" (modeled after "Quick as a Cricket"), and "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" (we made "The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Picture Day.") The kids enjoyed these and discussing different writing styles and techniques is always good information!

7. historynut

historynut Rookie

Apr 21, 2011

We're doing a persuasive speech contest right now. After that I will spend time reading a few of the different Cinderella stories to my kids. We will make a list of what characteristics they all have in common and then the students will each write their own stories.

8. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Apr 22, 2011

Whew! Great ideas! I've got 10 weeks left so there's definitely enough time to have fun with reading. Maybe start with an author study, create a class book, then wrap up with a rt or something else. I only wish I had time to really do a good job with planning it all.

9. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Apr 25, 2011

Use book wizard to get some ideas on books to use. Pick an interest of the class and put it in the quick search and find some books to read however you want. bookwizard.scholastic.com

10. GoldStars4all

GoldStars4all New Member

Apr 26, 2011

You can try doing a book from the Shakespeare can be fun series by Lois Burdett. I did them with 2nd grade once and they loved it!

11. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

How about doing a "Cereal Box Book Report" for fun??? I assign it every year and it is so fun for the kids to complete. Have all the students bring in empty cereal boxes and choose a favorite book to do the report on and provide them with the template in class and viola!!! :) Fun end of the year project! They can all share their projects and display them for a week or so in the hallway!