End of the year poem/letter to students

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by TottalyTink, May 31, 2008.

1. TottalyTink

TottalyTink Rookie

May 31, 2008

:help:Hello,
    I am looking for something such as a letter or poem to give to my students at the end of the year. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My mind is so frazzled I can't think of anything to say.

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 31, 2008

I just googled "end of the year letter to students" and came up with at least a dozen good hits. Try that -- hope you find something you can use!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

5. TottalyTink

TottalyTink Rookie

May 31, 2008

Thank you both for the help. I will try to google it again. I tried before but I guess I wasn't doing something right.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 31, 2008

You're a very special person,
    And I wanted you to know,
    How much I enjoyed being your teacher.
    How fast the year did go!
    Please come back to visit me
    As through the grades you grow,
    Try hard to learn all that you can
    There is so much to know!
    The one thing I tried to teach you
    To last your whole life through,
    Is to know that you are SPECIAL
    There is no one else like you!

7. TottalyTink

TottalyTink Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

Thank you Tasha. That is such a sweet poem. :)

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2008

That's really nice Tasha:)

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 1, 2008

Second grade at my school gives out the poem above.
    I used this one this year
    I'm glad I was your teacher
    I've come to love you so
    I can't believe the end is here
    I hate to see you go!
    Remember all the fun we had
    In all the things we did
    But most of all remember,
    You're a very special kid!

Love,
    Miss Buck8teacher

10. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 3, 2008

I love these poems! I almost got choked up reading them. What a wonderful way to end the school year and to let all of your students know how special they were and that you really did care for them!

11. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jun 20, 2008

I know it is way too late to respond :), but I started something my first year of teaching that I couldn't let go of. After spring break, I start making notes of things that I would remember about each child. Then, I start writing a poem - since that is the last writing genre we study - and I read it on the last day of school. I thought it would be hard to think of something for each child, however, I found it went pretty fast. It is more composing the poem that is a struggle. The kids love hearing their names, and I post them in the room with a class group picture so new students will know who I had. Their parents always ask for a copy, and I willingly oblige. It is my personal way of saying goodbye.

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 25, 2008

This is a great one, which I am going to include in my thank-you's to my class! Thanks!

13. TottalyTink

TottalyTink Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

It is never to late to respond and giving someone else great ideas for next year. Thank you for you input. If you wouldn't mind would you post an example of your writings so that I may get a feel for what you are expressing.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

:hijack:
    Tink, HOW did you put that blue question mark in your title?

15. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

I did what IndyJo did--I wrote my own. I actually wrote two poems; one was meant to be from my point of view and the other was from their point of view (based on things they've said, done, etc...). I like this much better than finding one already written because when you write it yourself, each student will read it and put their own meaning to it based on what stands out for them. I also went one step further--being a grade 7 teacher, it's very difficult to keep the kids focused and motivated that last week of school; so what I did was have each of them write a poem based on their memories from the whole year. It worked out so well because the poems I got were amazing. Then for the end of the year parting, I made up a booklet of the poems for each of them. On the last day of school we read them together and they hear mine for the first time (a copy of which they also have). I also write an individual note to each student letting them know what I have appreciated about them during the year. I found that it provided good closure for everyone, especially when you have a group that's hard to say goodbye to like I did this year.

16. ktriplel

ktriplel New Member

May 26, 2009

End of Year letter...poem

Her is one I like!

Dear Parents,
    I give you back your child, the same child you confidently entrusted to my care last fall. I give him back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible, and more mature then he was then.
    Although he would have attained his growth in spite of me, it has been my pleasure and privilege to watch his personality unfold day by day and marvel at this splendid miracle of development.
    I give him back reluctantly, for having spent nine months together in the narrow confines of a crowded classroom, we have grown close, have become a part of each other, and we shall always retain a little of each other.
    Ten years from now if we met on the street, your child and I, a light will shine to our eyes, a smile to our lips, and we shall feel the bond of understanding once more, this bond we feel today.
    We have lived, loved, laughed, played, studied, learned, and enriched our lives together this year. I wish it could go on indefinitely, but give him back I must. Take care of him, for he is precious.
    Remember that I shall always be interested in your child and his destiny, wherever he goes, whatever he does, whoever he becomes. His joys and sorrows I’ll be happy to share.
    I shall always be his friend.
    ~Author Unknown

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 26, 2009

I love that one, I use it every year~

18. Lady Godiva

Lady Godiva Rookie

Dec 17, 2009

Very nice Tasha! Surely I will use with my 3rd grades!

Thanks