End of the year ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by FallCreekGal82, May 10, 2005.

1. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

May 10, 2005

Our school has us stop taking grades on the 13th. We are in school until the 27th. I teach 4,5, and 6th Title I reading and the kids have already shut down. There is no motivation there, partly because my school district doesn't seem to make the students have much accountability. Does anyone have any fun ideas for the last few weeks of reading? There is not enough time to start a book and the kids aren't motivated enough to get through one either. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 10, 2005

We complete an end of the year memory booklet. I list several topics on the board that cover favorite subjects, my teacher(s), friends, field trips, and just about every event during the year. They choose which topics they want to write about, and they complete one per page. They have to write at least a complete paragraph on each topic and illustrate it. They have to save the last page for autographs. They also get to decorate the front to their liking. Students are to encouraged to complete at least two topics per day, and I include a little note to each student in their booklet.

4. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

May 10, 2005

Are you serious?!?!? You're students are expected to go two whole weeks without being held accountable for anything? I always do my biggest grades the last week or so of class just to keep them motivated enough to stick with me and stay out of trouble. You're district seems to be making it really tough for the teachers with this policy.

5. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

May 10, 2005

Yeah they do. There are alot of things I don't like about the district I am teaching in. Supposedly the students don't know that we aren't taking grades, but they are not stupid either. Grades are due to principals by the 16th. So I figure do something fun for the kids since they are not working now and the grades don't matter.

6. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

May 11, 2005

I'm in Fl. and our grades are due this Monday (16th) also. School's out May 31st (due to hurricanes)...We're in the middle of a move to a new building. We were supposed to move last week, so all of us as teachers are teaching out of boxes, since no one wants to unpack their boxes either.
    So basically, we have two weeks of "teaching" where the students are not accountable for grades and on top of that we are "teaching" out of boxes.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 11, 2005

You could do some readers theatre...my fifth graders love that! We are stopping grades this week too. Next week is our state test! :eek: After that we have half days for a week...pe teacher is taking them swimming at the YMCA and we have our fifth grade graduation! Then we have our field trip to Washington D.C. and we are pretty much finished...We'll still have a week but most of the children don't come after D.C.

8. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

May 11, 2005

Our Fifth Graders have been doing "Reader's Cafe"-- a poem/story reading time where they get up and take turns reading to each other. Snacks and drinks are provided, and they use a microphone to jazz it up. You could videotape it too and then watch all of them another day.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 11, 2005

I find several wordless picture books. Copy the cover and each page of the book. Look at the book with the class, but no one talks (they tell themselves the story in their head as we look at the pictures). Pass out the pages and have the kids write the story and color the pictures. Even though each student only has one or two pages, the story seems to hang together. Read the student's story and put together as a book.

10. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

May 11, 2005

This is a good time for those "fun, interactive" lessons we never seem to have time for.
    Do some fun art/craft ideas. Make paper mache' (sp?) characters from books you've read this year.
    Have your students write "Keys to success in Mrs. _____'s class" for next year's students to read on the first day of school.
    Do some reader's theatre plays in class or for other classes.
    Make memory books for students' favorites from this year.
    Find a younger class in the building and do some paired reading with your older kids (my third graders loooove to go read to the first graders!)
    Have "theme for a day" - Circus, space, rain forest, sports, etc.

11. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 17, 2005

I'm thinking of having my 4th graders practice reading a children's book and 'performing" it for a lower grade classroom. I also may have them do a play or reader's theater.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 17, 2005

I'm pretty much trying to finish up my social studies lessons right to the end. We only got as far as Lewis and Clark - but we are reading the book Lewis and Clark and Me - written from the perspective of Lewis's dog, so they love it. In math, we are using Hands On Equations, a totally hands on method of learning algebra. They can already solve equations like this -
    2(2x + 4) + 3x - 2x = 2x + 10. They love it. I kept handwriting samples of poetry through the year and they are illustrating them. Then I will put them together into keepsake books. They are working on their final book reports. I can't afford to lose precious teaching time and they are all still up for learning.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 17, 2005

I heard of an activity at a workshop the other day called "A Book in a Day". The teacher purchased used books for it. She divided her kids (5th grade) into groups of 3 or 4 and then tore the book into fairly equal sections. Each group got a section. They had to read it and then create a skit to explain what was most important in their section. They didn't get a chance to read any more of the book. She said her kids loved it. By the time you get to the 4th or 5th group they realize that they didn't know they had the solution to the problem and so they try and make what they have fit. She said it takes most of the day to do it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

14. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

May 18, 2005

Our school year ends June 16th and the marking period "silently" ends June 3rd. Grades are due the week after this. The cut off for grades is kept extremely silent and is not announced publicly at all. We receive a secret note telling us the date. Otherwise, this problem the original poster mentioned occurs. In fact, I even go to the extent of telling students grades are done on the computer and I can change them up to the minute of the last period of the year. :cool:

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 22, 2005

Reading/acting plays, Readers Theater, is always great and the kids enjoy these any time of the year. I also concentrate on writing assignments, no heavy duty stuff like essays, but things like Predicting the Future, Three Wishes for the Summer, If You Were a _____, kind of things, which are more personal writing assignments. Creating story books for lower grades, complete with pictures, and having them share these with the lower grades is also good (groups of 3 or 4 could work on each one of these).

16. Robintz

Robintz Rookie

May 29, 2005

grades due

Our year ends June 23 and grades are due June 24. Even though most of us do them earlier, we can (and do) change them up until the last minute. Sure solves the problem of kids deciding they don't have to do anything towards the end!
    Robin :D

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 29, 2005

Our last fun thing were "Whisper Phones" take two pieces of curved PC pipe and glue together looks like a telephone receiver and students whisper read into one end and the other end is at their ear and they can hear what they are reading. Read aloud chapter book "Charlotte's Web" Books on tape... We use Walk-em from Wal-mart cost five dollars a set. Readers Theater ---plays the kids love... buddy reading, read and record on a tape recorder. They like to listen to what they read. Do short books.

18. Antsmom

Antsmom New Member

Jun 1, 2005

Its nice that you can take your kids to places as important as our nations capital. I don't trust my kids to go down to the office alone