End of the year gifts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 13, 2007

What are you giving your students for end of the year gifts?

I saw this cute idea on littlegiraffes.com.... she put little toys and such in a sand pail with a little shovel, and wrote on it "(name) Digs Kindergarten." I think that would be such a cute idea. We are going to be learning about the ocean the last two weeks of school, and we are having a "beach party" on the last day, so I tought it would be perfect. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money... I've spent so much already on these kids. But anyway... I found some sandpails and shovels at Dollar Tree for a dollar each. Do you think this is a good deal? I don't know where else I'd get them for cheaper. But it's already $18+ just for the sand pails... that seems like a lot.:eek:

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

It is a cute idea and I think that $1 per kid isn't too bad, but adding stuff in on top of that might get a little expensive. What about instead of adding toys to it, the students compile a book of kindergarten memories that you can copy, laminate, and "bind" for each child and put in the bucket? Those supplies (if you need to purchase any) should be low in cost, even if you did something like take photographs, and it isn't just another toy to have laying around the house.

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

You can order a dozen sand sets (pails and three sand tools) for 11.95 plus shipping at Oriental Trader...24 sets would run you less than 30 with the shipping included. This would seem a littel more cost-effective than Dolalr Tree, but is just a suggestion.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2007

Well a pail and a shovel come together for $1. I only have 18 kids, so it would only cost $18 +tax for the shovels and the pails. So it seems better than oriental trading. Maybe I'll give them a book mark, a pencil, an eraser (things I already have). I was thinking bubbles or playdough, because I think at dollar tree I could buy a package for cheap. And I think they would use those. Right, I do not want to buy junkie toys that are just going to be a waste of money. The sand pails are small, so I wouldn't have to feel like I have to put a lot in them.

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

I didn't realize they were a set. Sorry.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 14, 2007

Maybe pop some popcorn and put a small bag of popped corn in the buckets. I have a bowl that you put in the microwave and pour in some popcorn from a bag. I never add butter or salt. The microwave bagged corn in a bag with butter and salt would get expensive.

I make May baskets each year for the students and put popcorn, a pretzel and couple pieces of small wrapped candy in cups.

8. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Apr 14, 2007

I am making scrapbooks for each child using square tissue boxes. I saw this idea in a craft book I borrowed from my assistant. They will each have five pics, decorated pages, etc. We are also ordering scholastic books for my kids and splitting the cost between myself and the assistant.
    Lastly, I am writing a letter of support to each of my parents and kids who will be leaving me this year (their child is either moving or going to DD classes elsewhere). They often have a harder time than the children adjusting to their new school/program.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2007

That's ok! I appreciate your help.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

I burned a CD last year for my ECSE (mostly autism) kids... I did an audio CD of our favorite songs from the year... I had several parents tell me thank you :)

11. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Apr 14, 2007

Brilliant! My kids with autism love some music:)

12. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Apr 14, 2007

Instead of putting toys in your pails...you could put learning activities to do over the summer (sight words, directions for math games you have played...if any use dice, throw in some dice, etc.) Below is a link to a site with something like this...

http://www.thevirtualvine.com/May-Summer.html

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2007

The cd is a realllly good idea. I don't know if copywright laws would be an issue though.

I love the idea to put learning things! I could make my own sight word flashcards.

14. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Apr 14, 2007

Great ideas!

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

I've taken tons of pictures this year so all of the 5th graders (I have them all for science) are getting a cd of the pictures. For my homeroom I have some little odds and ends (pencils, flip flop notepads, etc most ordered from Oriental clearance). I had a "Welcome to Sixth Grade" pencil for them all, but I have a child who is failing :( so I swapped it out for just some bright pencils.

16. yclark

yclark Comrade

Apr 15, 2007

PowerPoint CD

I made a PowerPoint Presentation last year with pictures that I had taken all year long. I just arranged them with some titles and then burned everybody a copy. The kids loved it. The parents loved it. It was a keepsake to last for years and it doesn't bring more stuff (translated junk) into anyone's house. It took me a couple of evenings to put it together, then copying was a breeze. You can buy a whole stack of CD for cheap.

17. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 15, 2007

I'm doing the CD with pictures thing too, but I have a program where you can add music to the slideshow, so mine will have music and captions as it plays.

18. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Apr 15, 2007

I worked with the teacher that runs with that website last year - she has such great ideas! I was the tutor for the kids in her classroom. :D

19. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Apr 15, 2007

Books make good gifts if you can get a good price. Also how about an over the summer learning packet and throw in some pencils, crayons, and just photo copy some pages that they might enjoy working on over the summer.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2007

Is photostory what you use? That's what I'm using.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2007

Ok ChristyF... now that you changed your avatar.. who is it?

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2007

:) That's my niece. Sorry! I realized I still had the Easter one up.

23. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2007

OK.... I can't keep track of people and their avatars.;)

24. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 15, 2007

No, it's called Memories on CD.