End of the Year ELA Game/ filler

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by allisonbeth, Jun 12, 2007.

1. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

I have 2 days next week where I may or may not have some of my class depending on awards presentations, picnics, speakers, etc.
    So, does anyone have a fun, easy to use activity that I could use with 5-20 students? My grades will already be complete so it can not be graded and my room will (hopefully) be partially packed up. My regular end of the year final activity will already be complete and sent home. Hmmmm...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

For fillers like end of the year stuff, half-days, or when I'm not feeling good, I do these:

Fun, kid-friendly videos. Sometimes they are educational, sometimes theatrical.

Aulularia. This means 'Pot of Gold' in Latin. I've seen similar games played in lots of classrooms. Basically you have a grid on the board, overhead, or computer (projected onto your screen via an LCD projector--this is what I do). In each box of the grid, you have a vocabulary word or a math problem or something. All the boxes are covered. Starting with the first kid in the first row, you uncover the first box. That kid has to answer the question correctly. When he does, you move on to the next kid and uncover the next box. This continues until someone makes a mistake and gives the wrong answer. Then you cover up all the boxes and start over with the very next kid. The goal is to make it through the entire grid. All kids (even my gangbanger high-schoolers) love this game.