End of the Year Crunch!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by PinkFish, May 16, 2009.

1. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

May 16, 2009

So I am totally freaking out! I was told yesterday that I had to turn in all of my textbooks on Monday. There is still 3 weeks left of school! What am I suppose to do with my second graders with no textbooks???? Does anyone elses school do this? Next week we are doing end of the year testing so I have next week all planned out but then there is still 2 weeks left and nothing to do. I know that they don't expect much of anything to happen but as a new teacher I don't have a wealth of games/ extra activities. I've burned through most of my extra activity sheets and I only have 3 math worksheets to last me the rest of the year... Any ideas of things I could do????

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

Well, I don't have a lot of concrete ideas, but I'll still reply.

What technology do you have access to? That may make a difference.

Have you finished your curriculum? I know I still have 3 types of verbal problems to cover before I start to review for our final exams.

Could you do a big push on reading? Have each of the kids bring in their favorite books and do something with that? Perhaps work on their skills at reading aloud?

How about the beginning of teaching script? Or the times tables?

4. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 16, 2009

I like having my students write a class book about how to be third graders in my classroom. It takes a good chunk of time (but it's purposeful) and we take photographs to accompany their pages and publish it.

Then I have it to read to next year's students as part of my back to school activities!

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 16, 2009

Another idea...

This upcoming week will be my last week of school. We have no more pullouts so we're scrambling for interesting things to do. I have coordinated a time with second grade teachers to have their students come tour third grade classrooms and interview my students.

Maybe you could arrange something like this with the first grade teachers at your school?

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 16, 2009

One more!

For that very last day I go to this puzzle maker at Discovery Education and make a word search with the names of my students.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 16, 2009

Here are some ideas that require no copies and no textbooks:

--teach cursive writing

--play slap game. (You split the kids up into 2 teams. Have the kids sit in a line on each side. THe first player comes up from each side and you hand each a fly swatter. You have half-sheets of paper with one word answers written on them. You announce the question, shout "go!" and the two race around searching for the answer. First one to see it and slap it, gets the point. For example, "On which continent would you find the United States?" The first one to slap North America wins the point.

This game works well even if the number on each team is uneven. I make a line with chairs on each side, and the kids constantly have to stay in order and scoot down, which keeps them busy. Don't let them shout out answers. I take a point from their team if they do or if they are poor sports.)

--Have a "measuring day." Use rulers to measure desks, chairs, classrooms, down the hall, etc etc. Use yard sticks, split the kids up into teams, and have them race to measure the basketball court outside. (If you do girls against boys, the boys almost always win. Why? With boys, someone will step up and be in change, and the rest will fall into line. With the girls, they argue over how they are going to do it, who is going to do what, whose turn it is, and I've even seen them stop halfway through and start over because someone complains "it isn't fair! She got 2 turns and I only got 1!!!!!!") I'm not gender-bashing -- I've just watched it happen, year after year after year! It is kind of funny actually.

--have kids use notebook paper, fold it in half long-ways, and write
    x 7 =
    x 3 =
    x 1 =
    x 8 =
    x 4 =
    x 2 =
    x 5 =
    x 0 =
    x 6 =
    x 3 =

on a bunch of sheets. Then collect them. Hand them out and do "math speed drills." You announce, "today we are doing the 3s times tables" and the kids fill in 3 in front of each and race to finish. I give them 2 minutes at first (then shorten it as they get better.) We didn't always have copy machines, and this is how speed drills were done before we had drill copy sheets.

--Play math games that use cards, dice, or chips.

8. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

May 16, 2009

Thanks guy these are great ideas! I am feeling much better about the next few weeks of school! I still can't believe that I have survived this year. The 1st grade teachers told me if I could survive the class I got this year I could survive any class. LOL. Yay for summer break!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

And it feels so good to get that first year under your belt!

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

I would send a letter to all the parents explaining that instruction has ended for the year and the rest of their kids time in second grade will be spent coloring and watching movies, due to the fact that your school is confiscating their textbooks.

I'll bet the turn in date will be extended.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 17, 2009

And Sarge...could you send her some teacher recruitment sites that she can access while she is standing in the unemployment line? :whistle:

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 17, 2009

Pisces,
    Another thing that is fun is to do chalk board games. Kids love to write on the chalkboard. Write problems for them to solve (make sure they are low enough so they can reach them.) I usually write one problem low and one a bit higher, and send the taller children to do the "uppers" and the more average height children to do the "lowers." Make it a race. The students split into teams, and the next player can't run up until the problem is done, and you shout "Cor-rect!" Which team can finish their string of problems first? Then switch the teams around.

You can also have a "board game day." Students are allowed to bring in one of their favorite board games. (Choose half the students for one day, and half for another -- otherwise there will be too many games, and the students will spend all their time trying to talk others into playing their game.) It is amazing the skills they can learn from board games.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

I didn't notice the first year issue. So you're right. She should have a tenured teacher write a similar letter to his or her students' parents.

It just strikes a nerve with me whenever I see stuff that actually makes me wonder if administration knows what the primary mission of a school actually is. It reminds me of how in the air force, a lot of the people started to have the mindset that the job of flight crews was to give the mechanics planes to work on.

15. cateste

cateste Companion

May 25, 2009

If you go to teachershare.scholastic.com and type end of year in the search box and select grade 2 you will come up with three lesson plans that sound like something you are looking for. The first two lessons say gr 3-5 but ignore that since they are easy for any grade to do. Also look for read aloud and do some interesting lessons based on favorite read aloud books that take no text or workbook. Good luck!

16. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

May 25, 2009

Thanks for all the ideas guys!!! With all your ideas I'm a little sad that I won't have time to do them all! The end of year is going so fast. We still have so much to do in just 7 days... This year was a challenge but now that it is over I think I'm going to have a hard time saying good-bye to my first class!