End of the year classroom awards...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by loves2teach, Apr 10, 2007.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2007

Hi,

I am planning on doing an end of the year awards ceremony for my classroom (parents invited).

I am a bit stumped on awards to give though, and also how to make their certificates. Anyone have any suggestions. I am also planning on having the students vote on some of the awards.

So far I have thought of
    -A honor roll all year
    -Most improved
    -Best helper
    -Makes everyone laugh (need a better way to word that)
    -Perhaps best student in each subject?

Would like to try to where everyone gets an award of some type. I have 23 students at this time. Thanks so much for the help!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2007

Perfect attendance
    most inquisitive
    best vocabulary
    author of the year

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 10, 2007

I give out "candy bar" awards. The kids love it and everyone is able to get something. (Payday: who always forgot their lunch money; Snickers: whose laugh was contagious; Skore: who achieved academic success) You can make them into academic awards or whatever you would like.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2007

-Most Creative
    -Best Friend to All (reword it)
    -Best Participant (reword--basically who raises their hands and always wants to answer, does their work, etc).
    -Best Artist (if you guys use that in your work)
    -Best Class Citizen (follows the rules and procedures)
    -Most Persuasive (do you have a student that loves to negotiate (in a good way) or has good compelling arguements in debates?)

6. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Apr 10, 2007

Instead of "best", my kids teachers use "Always or Most Improvement"

Always a Team Player
    Always a "Three Musketeer"
    Most Improvement in Math
    Always an Eager Participant
    Always a Class Citizen
    Most Improvement as a Class Citizen
    Most Improvement in French
    Most Improvement as an Artist
    Always a Creative Soul
    Always telling Great Stories

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2007

Class clown, most helpful, most athletic

could you look at old high school year books and have them vote on things like "prettiest eyes", "most likely to succeed", "most athletic", "most dramatic", "most talented" and things like that? then you could do a bulletin board or something...

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 10, 2007

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2007

I like the Always word. Then it's not a competition.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2007

neatest handwriting
    most improved
    cleanest desk
    most orgnized

you chould also phrase your rewards like

handwriting wizard
    top speller

etc. that way you can get away from "best"

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 10, 2007

School Spirit or Class Spirit Award

I give out one of these to that kid who always takes care of the room- picks up other people's trash, takes care of classmates or cleans up areas without being asked, etc.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 10, 2007

When I did camp with my church, our kids ALL get awards at the end... and we try VERY hard not to duplicate (difficult since there are over 80 campers, but we manage to do it!)...

We have typical "sweetest camper," "biggest smile" "most likely to be a counselor" "best friend" etc... but sometimes we've had to get VERY creative, so we'd pick something unusual or memorable... one kid got "the watermelon and AMerican cheese award" because she was a really picky eater and that's about all she ate all week... another got the "'Houston, we have a problem' award" because he kept repeating that line OVER and OVER.... Unusual shoes, "Entemology" award (obsessed with bugs), etc.

But these aren't ones voted on by the kids, just ones the adults make up and give out on the last night.

13. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Apr 10, 2007

Last year I had the kids list everyone in the class and choose the award that they would give them. I was surprised at some of the answers, and it gave me some ideas for those "challenging" students.

14. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Apr 29, 2007

I did something like this last year. I made a memory book for all the students with a superlative section that all the students voted on. They liked seeing who got what award and they get to keep the list of all students. This could be an additional component so all children can remember who got what award.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

Our awards are based on accomplishments and building self esteem and meeting class and individual goals. ****ATTENDANCE. Perfect attendance. ***STATE TESTING…Our 4th graders will all receive a certificate because the class received the Standard of Excellence Achieving on the Mathematic Kansas Accessment test. *****Perfect Spelling certificates…and anyone missing only five or less get certificates…, we sponsor a school spelling bee contest. Anyone who participates gets a certificate. The top five go to the county spelling bee and get certificates and they get county spelling bee certificates. We have had students go on to the state spelling bee contest. ***READING.. Book-It certificates to all who completed the requirements each month. Accelerated Reading certificate for meeting certain goals. Rising Reader, Super Reader, Advanced Reader, Star Reader, and Classic Reader…..****MATH.. Accelerated Math certificates. Click on certificates and it prints the students name and goal reach on a very nice certificate. (all you need to do is click and print)…Mad Minutes. Second grade ---addition and subtraction Mad Minute certificates with number of problems correct in one minute. 3rd grade get Mad Minute certificates for addition, subtraction and multiplication. 4th grade get Mad Minute certificates for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. ****AUTHOR… First, Second, 3rd and 4th all get author certificates. First grade and Second grade.. four pages 8x10 top half they draw a picture and bottom half they write one or two sentences. Cover Title, by students name, date, a picture about the book. Glue the cover on construction paper. Laminate the front and back and bind. 3rd grade made an ABC book for their mothers. They wrote one thing about their mother for each letter. Cover –title, by students name and a photo of the student. 4th grade. Cover—title, by, date, picture about the book. Story must have an introduction, plot and conclusion. They have an index. Everybody gets an authors certificate for writing a book. Not which one is the best but because they wrote a book and every book and every author is different and that is what makes their book unique. PE teacher gives awards for participating in track meets, president awards to students completing the requirements, and etc. Music teacher has certificates for music, Band teacher has band awards. We sponsor a music contest and invite schools to come.
    http://www.kidbibs.com/awards/card.htm

This a great website to make your own awards for the end of the year, FREE! It also has some ideas for awards. Hope this helps.
    http://www.billybear4kids.com/show/awards/certificates.html

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

Here are some more for you to ponder on.
    Being Fun to Be With
    Hard Worker
    Excellent True Friend
    Most Responsible
    Happy Attitude
    Always Dependable
    Always Sharing
    Always Polite
    Stick-to-it Award
    Class Bookworm
    Always Helpful
    Most cooperative in Your Group
    Excellent Artist
    Excellent Thinker
    Great Participation
    Scroll to bottom and you can download all of the awards.

http://www.gulf-shores-real-estate.c...tificates.html
    Informal (Fun) Appreciation Awards
    Brought to you via Neil Savage's "Appreciating Girl Scout/Guide
    Volunteers" Compilation
    http://www.guidezone.skl.com/jainformal.htm (website no longer online)

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 29, 2007

Excellence in Science
    Your Bright Smile
    Most Improved in Reading
    Most Improved in Spelling
    Being Fun to Be With
    Hardest Worker
    Best Boy Athlete
    Best Girl Athlete
    Outstanding Behavior
    Being a True Friend
    Math Problem Solving
    Most Responsible
    Wonderful Singing
    Happy Attitude
    Always Dependable
    Always Sharing
    Always Polite
    Computer Whiz
    Great Sportsmanship
    Stick-to-it Award
    Class Bookworm
    Wonderful Handwriting
    Always Helpful
    Most cooperative in Your Group
    Creative Writing
    Excellent Artist
    Most Improved in Math
    Excellent Thinking
    Great Participation
    Excellence in Math
    Excellence in Reading
    Excellence in Writing
    Excellence in Spelling

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2007

Thank you so much for all of the ideas...

I ended up having the kids write down one nice thing about everyone. I am using that, along with some ideas I already had.

I ended up getting a pack of the bright decorative paper at dollar tree (has 42 sheets in a pack I think) and created a design in word.

Looking forward to the ceremony! Going to invite parents, and have a potluck type lunch where all the kids bring in recipes they donated to our class cookbook.

19. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

Class Clown or Comedian for makes everyone laugh