End of the day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Sep 26, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 26, 2019

My students lose it at the end of the day / last 10 minutes this year when it's time to clean up and pack up. It's like every rule and procedure they've learned goes out the window. I've tried patience and praise, I've tried being the "mean teacher". Nothing seems to make a difference. They are a good group the rest of the day and it's like they've used up all of their self control by that time. They are loud with no volume control, they talk during directions and won't stop talking when I speak, they leave their seats... Yesterday I had two students chasing each other in the back of the classroom and I yelled at the group and said tomorrow (today) we'd be majorly reviewing dismissal procedures. Honestly, though, I don't know how to "fix" this. Does anyone have suggestions?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2019

Here is something I have tried before. Near the end of the day, the last 20 minutes or so, I have small groups of students pack up and return to their seats so the next group can pack up...
    ...and then they wait for the reward...I have a book on tape of a really popular story that we listen to silently for the last few minutes of the day. The amount of story that they get to listen to depends on how quickly and quietly they pack up. I do allow students to draw quietly at their seat as they listen. That helps the students who are restless at that time of the day.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Sep 28, 2019

Like Swansong, I break them up in to small groups and start getting ready earlier too. I have had the same problem in yrs past of the last minute rush, noisiness, and frustration. Sometimes I let the quiet kids get stuff ready way in advance too. Once they are ready, we either play an academic game, choose songs that reinforce skills taught, or use the computers for an academic game.
    The amount of time they get depends on how long it takes them to get ready. I make the noisy ones sit down. They can't get ready if their work is not turned in either until the last minute. They get a lot less time or zero to do the preferred activity.
    I remember the days when I just had to say, "Get your stuff to go home without talking." Those days are gone. :(

otterpop likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 29, 2019

I feel like my students each year are increasingly finding "zero talking" and "raise your hand to leave your seat" expectations unrealistic. They're not bad kids but everyone seems to think they're the exception to the rule when they have something they deem important to say or do.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Sep 29, 2019

I think you hit the nail on the head. More kids nowadays do think they are the exception to the rule. I remember the days when you could say, "I'm waiting." and everyone hopped to it. They wanted to go to lunch, recess, or specials. I saw a change in that when I moved here. It does not work here. You can wait until recess is half over before everyone is ready and quiet. Plus, our P gets annoyed when kids are late to things. To me, it is just a natural consequence we can no longer use.

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 1, 2019

Not sure what grade but you could listen to a podcast during that time. We listen to 6 minutes and you can hear a pin drop because they are so into the story.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 1, 2019

Thank you! I tried this today and it worked magically. Hopefully that pattern continues.