End of the day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Sep 15, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

End of the day Craziness

My class is awesome in the morning. They are on task, work great together in groups, work quietly when they are supposed to work independently.

Afternoons are a nightmare. Morning is all one subject, afternoon is all different ones (school mandated schedule), and I think that having fewer transitions helps. No matter what my kids are doing in the afternoon, they are crazy. Well, not all of them, but a few of them, and they seem to take over the class! I feel bad for the many good kids. They get annoyed with the ones who misbehave.

It is every afternoon. I have tried groups, I have tried partners, I have tried sit-and-be-quiet-and-zero-talking. They practice behavior like crazy. What does quiet sound like? What should what you are supposed to be doing look like? A few of my kids are just wiped out by the end of the day and don't listen to a word I say.

I will start having kids practice at recess, but they only get one a day (before lunch), so that consequence would be delayed until the next day, which sucks if a kid has had a well behaved morning and is then in trouble for something they did the day before. I'm okay with it, but it's not an ideal solution.

My go-to right now is having everyone practice being quiet with the lights off and their heads on their desks - but it's not really a punishment for them (nor is it meant to be), and some actually like it. I wish I could just give them 10 minutes of rest time before the afternoon began.

I think not having recess in the afternoon is a problem. We've tried brain breaks so they can get up and move, but it seems to wind them up more. Also, the math curriculum is above their level and I have an extremely varied-level group, but it is a mandated curriculum.

Any suggestions for helping me stay sane at the end of the day?

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 15, 2014

Is there way you could give them a ten minute break? Maybe do a read-aloud just after lunch instead of doing another type of self starter, something where they can just chill and listen, or draw while they listen?
    If my kids refuse to do what I say, we stay there and practice it until they get it right, with whole class positive or negative consequences each time they have to try it. Is there a way you could incorporate that and use peer pressure to get the kids to do what you want them to?
    After lunch is always rough, even within my school that has a 15 minute recess halfway through the afternoon.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

Lunch is especially crazy at my school, and I think that's a huuuge part of the problem.

We are supposed to jump right into math, so I can't do a read aloud. My P is super strict about following the regimented schedule and not doing anything that's not standards based. (That seems silly to me, because I think if they had a ten minute read aloud, the whole afternoon would be more productive.)

What kind of whole class positive and negative rewards do you use when you practice behavior, or is the practice the negative reward?

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

I have my kids sit with heads down till they seem calmer, then I have them all get some water, then they pack up lunches and stuff which will be going home. We do it all right after lunch. It seems to calm them down well. It also gives us more time at the end of the day.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

I like that. I might try having them pack up early tomorrow.

7. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 15, 2014

I give teacher/student points. Each time the students beat me to ten points, they get to fill in a bingo square towards a class party, each time I beat them to ten points I erase a square off their bingo chart. So when we're practicing when the students follow a procedure the way they're supposed to I give them points, when they have to try it again I give myself points.
    The good kids really pressure the naughty kids to behave lest they lose a square towards a class party.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

We're supposed to be following a strict schedule at my school as well. But when I've had rowdy classes in the past the ten minute read aloud after lunch made a world of difference. No one ever walked in during it, but if they did I would justified what I was doing. Maybe look for math read alouds!

9. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 20, 2014

You have stated the problem succinctly. Principal is caught up in the quantity of learning - covering the material - versus the process of learning. You are spot-on about learning realized in the long run by having a routine which saves you more time to teach.

10. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 20, 2014

Just FYI, you could do a read aloud that was Math based if your principal was that picky. Another thing that may work is to have them journal about a Math topic for 10 minutes.

11. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Sep 21, 2014

I sub a LOT, and see this same kind of behavior in some classes, and not in others. Some teachers just do not maintain control, and so when they are out and have a sub, of course the kids act the same way. Due to this there are some teachers whose classes I just will NOT take any more! Last year I subbed for one teacher and her class was pure trouble! I never did her class again. But this year I decided to take her class once to see if (since she had different students) the atmosphere was more conducive to LEARNING, and I found that it was not! Her students behaved basically in the same way this year as the class she had last year. My only conclusion is that the problem stems from the TEACHER not being in control of her kids. Otherwise how could two separate groups of students behave in essentially the same disruptive way? And from talking to othe teachers and especially those who do a lo of sub work, I think that many teachers have forgotten that THEY are the adults in the class, and THEY should be the ones running the show, not the kids! And I think matters only get worse in the higher grades, if the students are not TAUGHT that this behavior will not be tolerated. And, until the teachers and the schools stand up and enforce RULES, this behavior will only get worse.