End of the Day Chaos

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Sep 22, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Sep 22, 2013

I am a new teacher this year! I teach first grade. My days are going smoothly now except for the very end of the day. I was thinking of implementing math centers/free choice at the end of the day. Does anyone have any luck with this? After the kids do small groups (math), they will do an individual (formative assessment) and then they will get to pick something to do out of a big basket which will be full of math options. I was thinking- flashcards, dry erase books over shapes, addition/subtraction, big clocks, math books, hundreds charts, and other games. I was also thinking of adding in just a couple other options not math related every now in then just to spice it up like - listening center, read to someone, sight word games. Then if the students are loud I was thinking I would give them 2 warnings and if they get a 3 they must go back to their desk and read to self?? I would bring the entire class together at the very end of the day and do a read aloud/assign students to go get bags. I would LOVE some feedback on this idea or what do you do at the end of the day to keep students motivated/create peace at the end of the day?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

Here is something I have done at the end of the day to calm them down. Last 15 minutes or so. I put on a books on tape or smartboard story and then I dim the lights. I have found that offering centers or free choice just amps them up, and the consequences are too close to the end of the day to make much of a difference.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

What are you currently doing at end of day, TeacherBug? I'd be hesitant to jump into something new if the fundamental issues aren't first addressed.

5. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Sep 22, 2013

I like the idea of the book to calm them down. Right now to be honest the end of the day is the only part of the day I do not have a routine. On Mondays I do not have anything because they end with specials. Other days I either do a read aloud or we play a classroom game (if they earned it). I just thought free choice because I have math right before it and was thinking that would be an easy transition for those who get done quick with their individual assessment etc..

6. live

live Companion

Sep 22, 2013

I think that centers might lend itself to even more chaos if not completely regimented. Just like any other end-of-day activities, there would need to be a lot of teaching of procedures.

My end-of-the-day routine tends to be very systematic:
    1. Students have 1 minute to clean floor, desktops, and straighten rows (timed to earn class incentives)
    2. Students have 30 seconds to get homework folder on desk and planner out and open to the correct date (timed to earn class incentives).
    3. We review homework and fill in planners as a class.
    4. Students take out a book to read silently (only option), I turn on music (instrumental folk or classical; KidzBop if they had a great day), and I send students #1-5 to get their things from their lockers. On their way back in, they get their papers from their mailboxes and sit at their desks to put things in backpack (and then their backpacks and jackets go onto the backs of their chairs).
    5. The kids continue reading silently as the rest of the class gets their things in groups of 5 (by number).
    6. Once everyone is all packed up, we play a trivia or math game as a class, but students must stay in seats. If they opt out of the game, their only other option is to read silently (or do classroom job).
    7. When buses are called, they push chairs in, grab their things, line up, and I send them down the hall.

We have practiced and discussed all of this over and over, including voice levels at this time. By week 3, my 5th graders are starting to be able to do most of this without much prompting. 1st grade might be a little different, but I thought I'd share what works for me! :)

7. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Sep 22, 2013

Thank You!!

Live- I think this will be perfect for me to try out! This will be a great routine for them. :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2013

Agree with all of this! Let us know if you need some quiet whiteboard math/content games.:thumb:

9. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Sep 24, 2013

czacza

I would love some quiet whiteboard math games!!! That would be great! :)

10. cateste

cateste Companion

Sep 24, 2013

smartboard for 1st grade

I was never brave enough to go below 3rd grade, so my hat is off to you. I agree with all the other responders about keeping things calm at the end of the day. If you need some smartboard activities math or otherwise I have found a pretty good resource at this site.

http://teachershare.scholastic.com/groups/1st-grade-smartboard-lessons

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2013

I have found it helps to have my kids pack way before the end of the day. We usually pack about an hour/hour and a half early (either before or after math centers, depending on the day).