End of term reports...opinion please

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SarahJ, Jun 19, 2009.

1. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jun 19, 2009

Background:

Your child has learning and developmental delays. She attends speech therapy and occupational therapy on a weekly basis. Last year she refused to cooperate at school or participate.

Under gross-motor skills in her school report which would you rather hear:

a) ......... She can jump, roll and crawl very well now and can now climb to the top of the cargo net.......

b)........ Her ball skills are improving ...............

another child....who is always smiling, friendly, going out of his way to help others etc

a) Joe* is a very happy and friendly little boy, often with a smile on his face.

b) Joe* is happy, friendly boy. He smiles often.

Another: bearing in mind this child can get 'lost' in the activities and the messy play is messy - cornflour, bubbles, sago, cold cooked pasta etc

a) Ben* gets throroughly involved in playdough and messy play.

b) Ben* enjoys manipulating playdough and various items in the sensopathic trays.

Am I being difficult? My principal is altering my reports to make them 'better'.

3. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

In the examples you gave, I like these choices:

a
    a
    b

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2009

1. a) ......... She can jump, roll and crawl very well now and can now climb to the top of the cargo net.......

b)........ Her ball skills are improving ...............

a) because it's more specific.

a) Joe* is a very happy and friendly little boy, often with a smile on his face.

b) Joe* is happy, friendly boy. He smiles often.

a) because for some reason it sounds as though you like Joe more when it's phrased that way.

3. a) Ben* gets throroughly involved in playdough and messy play.

b) Ben* enjoys manipulating playdough and various items in the sensopathic trays.

"messy" doesn't sound as professional as 'sensopathic."

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2009

"Sensopathic"???

I suspect it's the word you've been told to use, and a quick check of Google indicates that that word is gaining some traction in preschool-ed circles, but it makes my teeth clench: in most root-root compounds involving -path-, what -path- refers to is a disorder. I'm thinking of

pathology 'study of disease state'
    neuropathy 'nerve disorder'
    psychopath 'someone disordered in psyche'
    sociopath 'someone whose social functioning is clinically disordered'

It's true that -path- refers to 'feeling' in sympathy and empathy, but in that case sensopathic is at least potentially redundant.

It's not always the case that more syllables mean more professionalism. I'm fighting a losing battle, though, so I'll whimper and retreat and stop hijacking this thread.

6. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

Sometimes I wonder who these reports are for..... the parent or the administration.

So then that would be my question for you to ask your principal. If it is truly for the parent ( as I feel they should be) then there shouldnt be any fancy "educational jargon" Parents have no idea what those words mean! And unless you are including a dictionary with the progress report, keep it simple and it terms you know the parent will understand.

Just my 2 cents......but I am in a population that is mostly ESL so the parents can read english, but have poor comprehension skills. So I keep it simple.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

A is more specific and therefore what I would choose.

A, but I would add that he goes out of his way to help others.
    B I like the throuroughly involved that implys that this area is a way to reach him. someone in the future may need to know that. Manipulation isn't the same thing without any clarifing.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

I get it and I agree. However I have seen admins request words that are even further off base.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2009

(glumly)

I know, WaProvider, and one sees the same thing in all manner of other disciplines as well.

10. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jun 20, 2009

Yup, have been told to use sensopathic. I do realise that this is current pre-school jargon, BUT 99% of my parents look at me as if I suddenly grew a 2nd head when I use it! Besides, the messy play is in my classroom and not in the communal 'sensopathic trays' which this child never goes to anyway!

My reports have been totally changed and altered (btw, mine were all answer a, changed to b by the school). I don't really want to sign them but will have to.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

Oh, I just assumed that "sensopathic" was one of those special-ed words that everyone else but me knew :)

Big picture: don't sweat the wording. As long as they're not asking you to change your message-- and it doesn't look as though they are-- do it their way.

12. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

I like a, a, b. I've never heard of senseopathic, though . . . and that's with a B.A. and almost a masters in child development. Why can't you use sensory . . . more parents will know what it means. I was told while doing documentation to never label "feelings" or use many adjectives because they aren't objective. So "happy" and "friendly" are not measurable, but something like "He plays often with others. He often goes around to help his peers during centers" is measurable. I hate that they are changing your words, though, they sounded fine.

13. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jun 20, 2009

It just feels like my opinions on MY class are not trusted. They do not teach my class nor sit in on any of my lessons and yes, changing the wording is changing the meaning of some of my sentences. The changed sentences also seem sterile and abrupt to me, which doesn't sound how I talk or express myself which I know some of the parents will pick up on.

But I'm changing them as they want them changed, keeping my originals as well. Don't want to rock the boat anymore than I already have!!!

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 21, 2009

for the first child, i would combine the two
    for the last two childrenIwould go with A, and B