End of school activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, May 27, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

May 27, 2003

Help! I'm running out of ideas for end of school year activities. We have already turned grades in and we have 5 days left! Can anyone offer ideas? Crafts? Snacks? Games? anything! :) Thanks.

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 27, 2003

Have your students clean desks. Give them a pile of shaving cream and let them play--when done wipe off--desks will be sparkly clean.

4. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 27, 2003

Can you cook at school? It would be fun to make some snacks. You could make something hard or no bake cookies. One day I had my students flatten 2 biscuits together (the kind in a can). Then they spooned on pizza sauce, hamburger, pepperoni, shredded cheese. Then cook the mini pizzas for 12-15 minutes. They loved it. I had written the directions, they had to practice reading and following directions.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 27, 2003

i would really hate to walk into my child's class and see board games BUT, you could say its economics lessons if you have the kind with MONEY!
    :D

I play a game i made a long time ago called JEOPARDY. I created the pockets with magnets on the back and had answers that the kids had to ask in the form of a question. For example my categories were: numbers, languages etc. dont have time now to explain but its SOOOO worth creating for those rainy day fillers.
    ruth

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 27, 2003

I don't mind having my kids play games. We have an awesome math game called Set that they love. They also play chess, checkers, etc. Tomorrow we will be making popsicle stick flags. Tomorrow we will have Philly Swirls (like italian ices) after lunch. In the afternoon we have an awards ceremony and yearbook distribution. Friday we go to the Rapids water park. In between, I have had the kids draw themselves as they looked at the beginning of the year, and then as they look now. They then wrote about how they had changed. Today they wrote letters to the 4th graders explaining what to expect in 5th grade. Tomorrow they will fill out a questionnaire about their favorite memories from the year. They also worked on memory packets with pages about their best friends, the hardest things they learned, what was cool, their favorite music, etc. I will miss them all!

7. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 27, 2003

I have an idea that you could do... You could make up a wkst. that has a bunch of things like "Who has blue eyes?" or "Who has a horse?" and stuff like that and then, you give everyone a wkst. and they get to go throught the school and find a person that fits eca catagory and whoevere fills theirs out first, gets a prize.

8. Maxine

Maxine Companion

May 30, 2003

one idea is a mini unit called: "All About Me." Start with a time line graphic organizer on which they record the significant stuff like D.O.B., first day of school, arival of a sibling, beginning music lessons, or dance classes, or sports teams. The gr. org. has three strips per 81/2 x 11sheet of paper. (use what ever lengths they need.) They cut them out & line them up, taping them in a line. When complete, have each student tape their time line to the board & talk about their life. They'll flip over being allowed to use a pointer!
    Another idea is to make a picture cube and give them 6 white sqaures of paper on which they draw fun vacations, great holiday memories and super birthday parties. Make the cube from 6 construction paper squares whose edges are folded and glued together. Put an unfolded paper clip into the corner to hang it up in the room or hallway.
    Another great take-home idea is to take a 12x18 const. paper:Yellow. Use three concentric circle templates which they trace onto paper. They end up keeping the outermost ring and the innermost circle. There should be a blank ring space between them. Have the students write a poem about the sun/summertime/hot & cool in the pool, etc. On the other side, they draw a sun face. They tape string from center circle, onto ring, and up to hang in the room. They twist and turn in the breeze. They also go home with them on the last day you clean out desks and supplies. If you feel inspired, you can let them know that you'll miss the sunshine they brought to your classroom.:D maxine

9. cara3rd

cara3rd Rookie

Jun 2, 2003

I think this was mentioned before, but you could have them write letters to the kids that will be coming to your class next year. I even enjoyed reading what the kids had to say, and they enjoyed doing the activity too!