End of Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hep223, Jul 9, 2014.

1. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 9, 2014

Hi! What are you favorite questions to ask at the end of the interview? :help:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

I change it up depending on what I know about the school and what was covered during the interview. Usually something about collaboration and technology. My new district I asked what their biggest challenge is- they mentioned a disconnect due to combining buildings and mentioned a new program they are piloting so everyone has the same expectations and rules. I asked this question because I know they struggle financially, so I was pleased to hear an answer besides their financial woes.

4. sweet tea

sweet tea Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

In addition to questions about support/mentors for new teachers, continuing ed, I like to ask what the ideal candidate for that particular position is. I've had several principals say they liked that question.

5. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

I hate asking too much, generally if they don't state it if I could get a salary schedule, and a copy of the benefits included.

One question I like to ask, which I probably shouldn't but I do, is why is the position open? And the reason I ask that, is I said I don't want to get into a situation where your not so and so, why can't you be like so and so.

Other then that, I'm not sure what there is to ask, technology available is a good one, the one I ask, but I always get a bs answer so I hate asking and sometimes don't, is when will I get an answer.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 9, 2014

I might change up the question based on something I heard in the interview. One question I do like asking though is about parent involvement

7. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

I think this is really where researching the school/district is important. The questions I asked for the interview I went on this year were completely different than the one I asked at the interview for the last job I had. I think it also depends on what level you're looking at. Again, I first interviewed for a grade that is a lot different than what I'm getting to do now.

But that's probably not very helpful, is it? ;) What level are you interviewing for? (Elementary, high school...)

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 9, 2014

Try to find out as much as you can about the school and/or district and then ask a question very specific to their programming, extra curricular, etc.

9. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 9, 2014

I ask about new teacher support programs. Also, I usually ask what opportunities there are for new teachers to become involved with extracurricular activities. This past interview, I asked about curriculum development because I read online that they were working on their curric.

10. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 9, 2014

I do try to tailor the questions to the district... but I just wanted to see if I was on the right track. I don't have any interviews lined up right now, I am preparing for the future interviews. I figure if I break this up into pieces some of it may "stick" by the next interview. :)

I am a Middle School (Grades 4-9) Language Arts & Science teacher. :)

11. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 9, 2014

You bring up another great question- what do you say when asked about collaboration? In my last interview they asked me if I like to collaborate or be independent. I responded with, "I collaborate. I think it is important for us to share ideas." When I asked the P what I could do to improve my interview she said I scored low on collaboration. So how would you answer that in a better way? :thanks:

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

I do research on the school so my questions don't sound uninformed, but otherwise, I just ask followup questions to things the principal has talked about. So, if she mentions they just adopted a new reading curriculum, I ask for more information about that. I also sometimes ask about the atmosphere of the school and staff collaboration, if they haven't come up yet during the interview.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2014

I think you could expand quite a bit on collaboration. You could mention that you see collaboration as not just sharing ideas. It could involve planning together, team teaching, developing lesson plans and activities, presenting PD together to the staff, work on differentiating for the whole team, etc.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

I would probably also touch on the fact that if something doesn't work for my kids I won't do it. I'd be really honest in that I love collaborating and think that working in a team is incredibly beneficial, but I'm quite picky about what I will adopt into my own programming. Obviously anything mandated, but in terms of collaboration I only go to a point. I don't jump on board just because everyone else is doing something.

15. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

For the positions I've applied, I'd typically be the only teacher of my subject in the high school. I like to ask them to tell me their expectations for me as the teacher, and where they want the program to go from here.

I also like to ask what they are most proud of in the school. If they don't say "the students" or something similar, I consider that a bit of a red flag.

If, during the course of the interview, they asked 'why should we hire you,' I like to turn it around and ask 'why should I work here.'

16. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

I always ask what specific types of professional development do they offer. I also do research on the school and try to see if I can form any questions about their statistics, data, etc.

17. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

I research and ask based on what I've learned. For example, the website for the school I just interviewed (and was hired) at said "under construction" for their math page. I told them this and asked what curriculum they use.

Typically I ask: What support do you have for new teachers?
    What does PD look like?
    What does the school/district do to support or encourage continuing education or career goals? (The asst. super I asked this to said it inspired him to start thinking about what the district can do more of to help employees, which I thought was cool)
    The very first question I start with is: What are you most proud of at your school/district?