end of grade test results...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by b-radical, May 25, 2007.

1. b-radical

b-radical Companion

May 25, 2007

We felt a cloud of depression and discouragement descend this afternoon. After three days of intense (over)testing, it appears our school scores didn't meet the "white guys in suits" criteria.

Even though students retained "proficiency," apparently not enough met "mandated standards of growth."

Sorry to all of you "white guys in suits"--but I mean it as an attitude and not a gender/fashion statement.

I'm sad, discouraged, angry, frustrated....not because of these "tell all" scores, but because the real learning in the classroom is not acknowledged.

My colleagues and I are exhausted (as I know all of you are...)...
    Any words of encouragement?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2007

Oh, b-rad, I'm sorry to hear that.

While sometimes prep or background aren't up to producing the desired results, sometimes it truly is the case that the instrument is stupid. I realize the honchissimi honchi don't contemplate this as a possibility... but what are you hearing about the test from those of your students whose judgment can be trusted?

(I have this fantasy of adding a component to the process of validating a test: turning articulate GATE kids loose on it to find both the bugs and the blunders.)

4. b-radical

b-radical Companion

May 25, 2007

The math scores across the board were, apparently, particularly dismal. Many field test questions were included and, according to the "script," would not count for or against scores.

But the math tests for the sixth graders were completely unexpected! So many of the questions involved abstract algebraic thinking that isn't even taught in the sixth grade!!!

I haven't looked at the reading scores for all four of our blocks, and I do know that a few scores went up. But again, if the "proficient" threes didn't go to fours, we're screwed.

What is so frustrating and heartwrenching is that these "tests" don't measure things like in class comprehensive reviews, like those we had today. I know what they've learned, retained, and comprehend. The state and federal government, however, do not and will not see the moments of greatness and success and sudden comprehension that we all see...

It will be interesting to see how the data is manipulated...And I maintain that those who craft the tests should come back into the classroom for at least a week and try to teach to their own ridiculous criteria...

I understand the need for measurement tools, but it's reached absurd proportions for political gain..
    what's particularly painful is that the students who maintained "proficiency" actually pulled overall stats down....

And we live and die by these random numbers....

5. b-radical

b-radical Companion

May 25, 2007

In my exhaustion, I forgot to say that the kids are frustrated and discouraged re: EOG content, particularly in math. I would LOVE to have a student team go through some of the ridiculous questions/selections and explain why these tests can be so slanted toward those who "craft" them.

The political generation of some of these standardized tests is maddening....

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2007

I don't know that having bright students vet the tests would do much about the slant per se, though I'll also admit to being less bothered by slant (which can, after all, be thought around) than I am by inanity.