End of day routines

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hwmom123, Jul 14, 2007.

1. hwmom123

hwmom123 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

Hi,
    I don't know that I've ever quite mastered the art of a peaceful end of day routine. What are some of your tried and true ending routines and rituals?
    Thanks,
    Heather:angel:

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2007

This year, I created an End of the Day journal in a 1 subject notebook. The kids could write anything about their day or their life in it. If they wanted me to read it or respond to it, they placed a star at the top of the page. I collected them once a week or every other week and spent a night looking at them at home. The kids loved it! :) It also kept them busy while I signed homework planners at the end of the day. We didn't do it every single say, but we did it about 3 times a week, I think. :)

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

After all students are ready to go, we gather on the rug and read a book after we've talked about the day's events- sort of a flip to the morning meeting idea.

5. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Last year we were having snack at the end of the day so some kids would be finishing that. I'd play the CD that goes with their reading series and the kids who were finished with their snack would sing and dance. It really helped get them motivated to finish their snacks.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 15, 2007

I use the end of the day to get my newsletter done, but the kids do it for me... we gather on the carpet, and each child has to give me a 'ticket' to get ready to go home. Their 'ticket' is one thing they learned or did that day... as each child says there item, I type it up and put their name at the end. On Friday, all I have to do is print it out and voila - there is my newsletter! The parents love reading what we're doing all week and it's a good way to have the kids reflect on their day. :)

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

Halpey, that's brilliant!

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2007

What a great idea Halpey1!

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

I have a closing meeting each day. We share thank you's and compliments. I give compliments, but mostly leave it to the kids. They love to hear about themselves from their peers. Also, like Halpey, I have them share something they learned. On Friday we have a long meeting, and we review the week, talk about whatever happened, and I have each child share something- something they were proud of, something that challenged them, something they liked, something that was tricky, etc.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

One year that's when I did my read aloud. Most of my kids left at the same time.

11. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

We usually do journals at the end of the day. Still, I like the idea about reading on the rug. I may try that for the very end and journals just before reading.

As far as newsletters go, I do a monthly newsletter with a different monthly theme and each child has a writing piece in the newsletter. By January, students type some of the shorter writing pieces by themselves and I cut and paste the entries. The parents love it! I put in pictures too (some individual and always a class picture).

I think I may add a little section, "What I learned this month." Thanks for the ideas!;)

12. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I'm going to try this: While we're reviewing our day and talking about significant events, what we learned, etc., the students & I will pick (maybe vote on?) 1 thing whick I'll write on our big calendar (it's big enough to write 1 or 2 short notes). Then occasionally we will turn it into a timeline, starting with the events of one week, then after a month or so, circle 1 event from each week & turn that into a timeline, and so on.

13. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

What a GREAT idea! LOVE IT!

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

The last class is writing evey day so they are pretty calm. I have them copy the homework assignments into their agendas then begin gathering their supplies to take home. They must form a silent line by my desk as I stamp each agenda and check that it's correct. It's amazing how many kids pretend to write down their homework! Once I've stamped it, they are to return to their desks and wait to be sent to their lockers.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

For me it depended on the day we had specials that would end at the end of the day or pretty close. Once we started spelling tests sometimes we would play *sparkle* to review spelling words, or I would read a book and excuse those looking very quiet & ready to get their backpacks & mailbox stuff. IF we had a special to the end of the day (one special teacher would walk them out) I would have them ready to go before we went to the special. I'm not saying it was always the quietest. How quiet can you be with 20 somthing backpacks or snowsuits...but at least we did pretty much the same thing everyday & they knew what to expect.

16. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I always end the day trying to calm them down since departures are hectic. I give each kid an "exit slip" which they write an answer to a prompt I give them. These prompts are laminated now b/c I usually go through them several times in one school year. I may ask what was their favorite part of the day, least favorite, what did they think about ____, etc. However, we fill out our homework pages first and have that folder and our home items on our desks before they do the exit slips. I put on some classical music and the kids answer the prompt, put the slips in a tray, get packed quietly and read at their desks. Then when the dismissal announcements begin, we start to line up.

17. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Ten minutes before the bell rings I have kids put away crayons, glue, etc., and pick up the carpet and floor. They keep silent because the two best workers get small rewards. When that is done they empty out mailboxes, pack the things away(still in silence because this counts for the reward, too) then I call their rows to line up for dismissal. The winners then receive their little prizes as the bell rings.

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

I forgot all about exit slips!! Thank you!! I will use these to keep them busy while I stamp agendas. Kids are lined up waiting for their agendas to be stamped. Once I stamp it, they get to read the prompt sitting on my desk and go back to their seat to write their exit slip. Now...when and how do I make sure they each wrote something meaningful?

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

I also sign each agenda book and I place a colored dot next to my initials. Since I use a traffic light system, the parents know what each color stands for. Green is an excellent day, yellow means ok but received 2 warnings, and red means bad day, received 4 or more warnings and they have a behavior traffic ticket to sign:) Its a good way of having a small bit of daily communication with the parents!

20. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I model exit slips for about a week. I tell the kiddoes to remember the rule of three with the exit slips. The first is to think about their answer to make sure they WRITE something meaningul. Rule two is the state and explain part. The write what they are thinking and why the thought that way. The last rule is to proofread it. It helps, but inevitably you will get a poor response here and there.