End of Day Proceedures

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by luv2teach1st, Aug 9, 2009.

1. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I need some help with how to manage my end of the day procedures. I dread this time of day because it just seems so chaotic. I would love to know other's end of the day procedures or if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

I remember at one point I gave the class two options while I passed out folders: read or sit quietly.
    In the beginning of the year I had to pass out all the folders so I needed them to be quiet. I think I let the 2 helpers of the day pass out any papers. After all papers were passed out, I passed out backpacks (later in the year, the 2 helpers pass out) and when they got their backpack, they put their folder inside. After they put their folder in their backpack, they came down to the carpet. I would be in my chair and read from a chapter book. It keeps them quiet!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

That's a good idea!! Thanks

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2009

I plan to read from chapter books (namely, the Magic Tree House series!) while (by table groups) students:
    1) Clean up their desk or work area.
    2) Place any finished work in the INBOX.
    3) Retrieve their T.I.G.E.R.! Binders and place them in their backpacks.
    4) Come to the carpet to await the dismissal announcements.

Our school calls for bus riders, day care riders, walkers, etc., at certain times, so this tends to work best for me.

6. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 10, 2009

This was my dreaded time of day--what chaos!--until I introduced tickets. Tickets are just a slip of paper with the picture cues of the 5 things that must be completed in order for each child to be ready to leave: 1. Copy the message 2. Raise hand for the teacher to check it. 3. Sign out a book. 4. Get mail. 5. Tidy desk and area around desk. When students have completed their ticket, they "wave" them in the air for the teacher to collect. Sometimes I give everyone who is done by a certain time a reward (sticker, candy, getting to go outside with the T.A.) and sometimes I do a draw using the completed tickets for a prize from the treasure box.

7. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Aug 10, 2009

Everything has to be cleaned up before anyone gets anything. Kids sit at their desks while I stand at mail boxes. I call kids to mail boxes, kids come to mail boxes with take home folder, hand them their stuff, they put in take home folder, and go out to get backpack and sit on carpet. Organized chaos. Haha.