End of Day Procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by talknteach, Nov 6, 2022.

1. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Nov 6, 2022

My fourth grade class this year is having a lot of trouble packing up/cleaning up at the end of the day. The procedures I have used for 19 years are not working, and I need some fresh ideas!

This is what I am currently doing. Dismissal is at 3:30. At 3:15, I tell the class to start plugging in chromebooks and cleaning up their area. I stand near the door and call out names of students to come see me to pack up. They turn in a daily folder every day, so I call them from the folders in the basket. They get their folder and papers to go home, then go into the hallway to get backpack/coat, etc., and come back in the room to finish cleaning up their area. After I call all the folders, I call, "Anyone I did not call!" and they come over.

Every other year, students were packed up and cleaned up by 3:25 and we had time to play games. I introduced the games this year (Heads Up 7 Up, Eraser Head game, and Never Have I Ever) and they really seemed to like the games, but the motivation is not enough to get them to focus on packing up and cleaning up. They move around the room and talk loudly and play around. I have to stop calling names and get them quiet multiple times, which slows everything down. I also have over half the class that does not clean up, so we have to wait while I tell them which desk areas are not ready. I mean multiple papers, pencils, trash on the floor, whiteboards on the floor, chromebooks not plugged in. We don't have buses, so there is no reason for them to rush. They are fine with slowly cleaning up. I won't dismiss them until the room is ready, and lately its been after 3:30. I don't like this, and I don't like the scolding I have been doing at the end of the day.

I've tried packing them up earlier and while they did finish by 3:30, the problems of my having to constantly chivy them to clean up and stop talking loudly remained. They do get a brain break about 2:20 every day when we do a Go Noodle, but that doesn't seem to have any impact on their end of day behavior. They also get two recesses every day.

Ideas???

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2022

Classical music in the background I find helps to calm them down some. I use it all the time in the afternoons. As far as getting them to go quicker, an online timer that counts down can be effective. Make sure it is full screen. Students like a challenge.

Personally, I have lightened up a bit on the noise with the students at the end of the day. I want them quiet to work, but I don't see much point in them being quiet when cleaning up. That is just me.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Nov 7, 2022

Proximity (Body Language)

The number one discipline characteristic that determines how students behave is their physical distance from the teacher. If you are standing at the door how far away are students from you? Some may be close (by the door) but most will be too far away for you to use body language to quell disruption and keep them on task. They gamble you are preoccupied helping students with folders which is a green light to go for it. It makes sense. Would you goof off if the teacher is standing one foot away? How about if the teacher is across the room, back turned and helping a student? Fred Jones refers to it as “working the crowd” or discipline by walking around. Is there some way you can change the folder routine so you are not cemented in one spot? Moving around and among students during routines does not guarantee a perfect classroom. Teachers that use proximity correctly report an 85% reduction in discipline problems.

5. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jan 21, 2023

Update:

Thanks for the advice!

My end of the day is much better now! At 3:15 they start cleaning up and I walk around and say things like, "I wonder which table group will be all cleaned up first!" It has worked wonders. They can't talk as much when they are busy picking up their papers on the floor! Once an entire group is ready, they get dismissed to pack up. I still have my messiest one who is allergic to cleaning but she does some and her group helps her. They get their own folders, which works fine. We still don't usually have time for games, but the noise is acceptable and they are ready every day by 3:30. I tried playing music but they couldn't hear it over their talking.