End of Day Noise???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iheart5thgrade, Jul 29, 2007.

1. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I teach 5th grade math all day, so I only have my homeroom for one class and then again at the very end of the day for pack up time. We have ten minutes for pack up time. My homeroom students come in, do their assigned classroom job, and pack up their backpacks to go home.

In my six math classes, the students are very wellbehaved and classroom noise is never a problem. HOWEVER, at the end of the day, when my homeroom comes back to pack up, it is unbearable.

Do you all have any tips for an orderly packup time? I don't want to make them be totally silent because I realize it's the end of the day and they haven't had any time to talk to each other and socialize, I just want it to be a bit quieter and a bit more orderly than what it is now...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Can you give them a short bellringer-type activity to keep them occupied for a portion of that time? I find that my students are quieter when they're busier.

4. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I just let them do their thing. As long as they're doing their job(s) and getting their assignments written in their planners within our 15-minute time, then they're golden.

If they go over the 15 minutes (I use a timer), time is taken away from their PAT time on Fridays. They hate to lose time, so the peer pressure to git 'er done is usually enough to move them along.

We also pack up BEFORE we close most days with silent reading. That way, they can be a bit noisy, pack up, and then get quiet for the final 20 minutes. Other days, we close the day outside at PE.

Chele :)

5. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

When my homeroom comes back from their lockers, I let them chat quietly as long as they are seated. If it gets too loud, it has to be silent. Once announcements start, they are expected to be silent and listening.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

You didn't mention how long this last period is? Don't let them have too much time to do their end of the day jobs and pack up. They shouldn't need more than 10 minutes for that. As far as "knowing they need time to socialize because they haven't gotten to talk all day.?"..NO!
    They can talk on their own time after school, on the phone from home or make arrangements with each other to get together. You DO NO have to provide school time for socializing!
    Definitely have a seat-work activitiy for them to complete daily and hold them accountable! This seat activity should begin immediately after the 10 minutes to do their jobs and pack up.
    The seat work should be the same type every day so that you build a routine and socializing should not be part of it.
    I'm not trying to be a joy-killer, but until the end of the day dismissal bell, they are still in school and deserve to be doing something productive!

7. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Zoe,
    In my opening question I was just saying they need a few minutes to socialize at the end of the day to keep from all the replies saying "just make it a silent packup." That's the only reason I wrote that. I didn't want to make it a completely silent pack up time, that's why I was looking for new ideas.

My last class and the "packup" kids are different, that's why I didn't mention how long last class is.... my last class ends at 2:50,my homeroom comes back at that time, and they pack up/do classroom jobs until 3:00. Hope that clarifies my question a little bit.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

iheart5thgrade,
    Oh...I didn't catch all that...sorry.
    I went back and reread and you sure did say all that!! OOOPS!!
    So...what you are asking is how to keep them orderly and quiet for 10 minutes at the end of the day during pack up time? My reply is still no socializing and give them something constructive to do.
    But you don't want that because you do want to allow time for socializing so.....They might talk quietly if you show them how to use quiet voices while packing up. They'll probably be happy to have these few minutes to talk that they won't abuse it.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

I tried something out with my summer school class and it worked. During clean up, I play a song. They need to be done by the time the song is up. I made a whole play list to use. Anyway, they are busy trying to clean up, and listening to the song, that they aren't talking. My clean up used to be SO noisy! I would time it, then graph the times we finished each day. I think during the year, each table group will be responsible for finishing x number of tasks. The table group that is done first (and well done) will pick the song for the next day.

The music really worked. As soon as all the jobs are done, we have a brief reflection of the day. We share proud moments, thank you's, compliments, talk about challenges, etc. This is a quiet meeting, and it gives us a chance to debrief on the day.

10. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Littleschool--the music idea sounds great and then reflecting over the day...I think I'll try that this year!