End of day craziness!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Learner4Life, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

School hasn't started for me yet (I know your jealous) but I've been trying to brainstorm ideas for my end of day routine. In the past, I've HATED it because it seems to be pure chaos. I've tried dismissing through different ways ("if you have a older brother you can go" "if you are wearing green you can go" type thing) but there always seems to be "that kid" that is so stinkin slow OR doesn't pay attention. I feel like in 5th grade the dismissal procedure shouldn't take more than 15 minutes but if I just let them all go at once then it is really pure chaos.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2011

I would just practice dismissal over and over until they do it the way you want. I would stop teaching the first day with an hour left and go over dismissal expectations. If it's not what you want, start over. Be explicit that first day and take the time out the first week to make sure it is exactly how you want.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 29, 2011

I do dismissal from my closing circle because I want the last thing they remember about out class to not be chaos. I want them to leave my room feeling a sense of structure.

So here is how it goes for my class. My students pack up and clean up the room first. While this is happening I supervise. They leave their bag on top of their desk. Then every one goes to the carpet for a closing circle. I use this time to review the homework, announcements, and trouble shoot problems we had that day. From circle, I call kids a few at a time to line up. I only dismiss when they are quiet and ready. If we have to do it over and over we do so. I have only had to redo the routine once or twice. At the start of the year a few weeks ago I modeled all of this for the students and had them point out and discuss the routine. So far it is working.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 29, 2011

15 minutes is far too long to pack up and get ready to go in 5th grade. My 5th graders get 5 minutes to pack up--and that's usually more than enough time. They are called by groups to get their backpack. They then have to put their belongings in their backpack and sit down. While they are doing this, if they didn't drop their coconut (pull a card) all day, they bring me their "I Stayed on a 5" card to get a hole punch and/or get in the treasure box if they have 10 punches. Once everyone is seated, I call for groups to put their chairs up and line up. There is just enough time to get this done, but not enough time for chaos to ensue.

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 29, 2011

I think that sometimes chaos occurs when they are given too much time to pack up and get ready to go. If they know that they have to hurry or they will be late to leave, it helps them stay focused and get end of the day jobs done.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 29, 2011

I offer them a snack as soon as the room is cleaned and everyone is packed up. These are snacks sent in by the parents for this purpose, and they are usually hungry at the end of the day. While snacking, we have a little sharing time. Review the day, etc., or I will read to them at the circle. Snack is also at the circle.

But I do agree - have them practice over and over until you are happy.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Aug 30, 2011

Throughout the day, we go over what needs to be brought home. For example, if we have just finished math and they have an assignment. Whatever math-related items need to be taken home will be written under the "Take Home" section on the board. The students "take home" folder is permanently on the list, and I simply add stuff throughout the day. At the end of the day, they get 5 minutes to get ready. They look at the board and know exactly what needs to go home. The first day I take a good amount of time explaining this to the students and by the end of the first week we are totally fine. I agree with previous posters. If there is a problem, just keep drilling it over and over. Good luck this year!