End of Day Chaos

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Missy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2007

I struggle with this every year; I have good procedures in place until the end of the day.:)

School ends at 2:30. Safety patrol members have to leave at 2:20. I try to teach until 2:25 or so. Homework is listed on the board and I check planners. The problem comes when I dismiss tables to get coats and backpacks - it gets so LOUD I can't think!:eek:

What do all of you do?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 21, 2007

I would maybe try a mock example so the kids can practice! What was chaotic today was that they had to dash from music to our classroom at dismissal time, 3:10! The intercom was dismissing as we were in line!!!!!!!!

4. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I agree. Have a few kids go at a time and see if they can do this task quietly. If that group does not do as well as you had hoped, ask them to sit down, and try another small group of kids to demonstrate. (You might need to start this earlier than expected to allow time and for them to be ready by the end of the day.)
    Practice makes perfect!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2007

Thanks Ms. J and jellokites (love your name!), I will give it a try.

6. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Thanks Missy!:D

7. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I like to read aloud during the last ten minutes. If you have a great story going ... you'll be amazed how quickly and quietly they get those back packs stuffed.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 21, 2007

You're welcome! I feel like doing more skit-like practice tomorrow with a few procedures. I'm telling them we'll have JEOPARDY later this week to review all! :) Today, they had a partner questionaire about procedures, and yesterday, they just read their handbooks I provided them.

9. jenluvs2teach

jenluvs2teach Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Music

I had this same problem last year. I tried playing a song during pack up time. The kids have until the completion of the song to be packed up and ready to go. I set the volume and tell them that I should still be able to hear the music clearly. Those who accomplish this receive a classroom coupon when they are back at their desk with zero voices signal in the air. Any song will work, but I recommend using the same on everyday. Good luck:)

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

I ususally do a read_aloud about 15 minutes before, then they write down their homework assignments and I excuse "line a and line b" to get their backpacks, etc." What's tough for me is 4th grade is the 1st year at our school that kids can join band, so last year I had 3/4 of my kids that had musical instruments to get, on top of backpacks and jackets. It did get a little nuts. However, I do go over lining up procedures religiously with the kids, and I plan to spend more time on clean up/end of day stuff too!

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 23, 2007

Thanks for more good ideas. I will definitely start much earlier in the afternoon to practice the first few days. I would love to read from our book at that time, but my safety patrol students will be gone and I don't want them to miss out. The music might help also. I picked up a few of the Sandra Boynton CD's at Kohl's last year, and the class always begged to hear a few songs each day.

12. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I HATE end of day chaos. It was a problem for me last year, and I put it on my list of things to think about and fix this summer.

This year, I have specials at the end of the day - specials end at 3:10 and dismissal starts at 3:10. YIKES! Right now, we leave for specials at 2:40.. I stop teaching by 2:20 so we can prepare for dismissal.

We start with writing homework in agenda books. I check books by team, inital them then dismiss the team to pack up. By the time I check the next team, the first team is *usually* back in their seats. They know they have to be "ready" (completely packed up, clean area, sitting quietly) to line up for specials.

When we return, the students are permitted ONLY to read a book, work on homework, or sit with their heads down.

Right now, I HATE losing the instruction time to pack up, but its necessary. I predict that this will take less and less time as the year goes on.

You've gotten great suggestions here, hope this helps!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

As they pack we gather on the carpet for a quiet game: guess my number, guess my word, hangman on the white board...

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2007

I HAVE to practice early because specials ends at 3:10 and we have dismissal starting at 3:10. We have to clean up in a 2-minute clean up at least an hour before. They're FAST. They can earn a marble- and they can get the room fixed in a minute and a half if they have to. :woot: They ARE very good at this.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2007

Your post sounds almost exactly like my scenario! When they get in from the specials, though, they're lining up by the door already and joining the other kids in the hallway for pick up/bus.

Are you sure we're not in the same school?? On the same team? :woot: Just kidding. I see you're from MD.

16. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Sounds like it :) The last specials have benefits, but definite drawbacks too!

Mine have to come in for afternoon announcements, and since I have mostly walkers it would be a mad rush for the door when walkers are dismissed. I have drilled into their heads that announcements don't dismiss you - *I* dismiss you. I call one team at a time to avoid the craziness. :cool: