End-of-1st-Quarter VENT :)

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

Where oh where did that first quarter go? Here are some things that happened to me last quarter:

• Got my own room
    • Gained two 1:1's
    • My classroom aide took one of the 1:1 spots
    • Got a new classroom aide (eh)
    • My 18 year-old stepdaughter moved in with us (from Scotland)
    • I had to buy a halo helmet for my son and it broke my heart
    • Started Morning Focus (thanks sk) and now 4 of my 6 kids know their street address and phone number
    • Two of my six students are crushing on each other (yikes)
    • Husband and I celebrated our 12 year wedding anniversary and he sent the most GORGEOUS bouquet to work - freakin' awesome
    • I got a 7th student, male, with ED, ADHD, and a fondness for restraint
    • Said student punched me, kicked me, spit on me, broke my necklace, and kicked in a wall outlet plate
    • Said student was only in my room for 2 "full days" and then 5 "1/2 days" and now he's being referred to a behavior program at a different school
    I feel like I'm leaving some important bits out...

How are you all?

3. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Let me try

got out of my part time contract -- after a month of bouncing back and fourth

met my six students and seven paraprofessionals --

end of september finally started work full time

3 days into it had a visual problems -- and blood pressure problems left in an ambulance

Three weeks of full time work -- been kick, hit, peed on --

but somehow loved it because now I know what I need to work on---

went to a training and now excited to get back and get things going. . .
    and by the way now I have my first observation :rolleyes:
    that was mine

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

what is a halo helmet????

My son bite me for the first time in 5 years --- he's 8.

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Hmmmm...

- Trained and got my 5 new learning assistants in the groove (thati s going well).
    - Got the other 4 learning assistants back in the groove.
    - Have set up a program with the grade 1 teacher for one of my students be almost fully included in her room.
    - Have worked with one of my old learning assistants to her more on the same page as everyone else is now.
    - Started doing weekly swimming trips with 14 adults and 11 students (4 of whom are in wheelchairs)
    - Got a lot the "new stuff" in place (although still working at getting some of it going)
    - Transitioned my son to my room - he is doing quite well
    - Have been dealing with issues surrounding one of my students developing a fear of another student.
    - Have started looking in to having another one of my students fully included at least for mornings.
    - Starting to develop a plan towards more inclusion for all of my students over the next couple of years (my job is going to change drastically).
    - Have completed writing 10 IEPs and going in to meetings for those over the next couple of weeks.

Hmmmmm... that is about all ;).

Zoom - sorry about the halo helmet :(.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

This is a fun game!

Here's what happened in our neck of the woods this quarter:

• Implemented a successful weekly special olympics program and we're about to complete our first "season" (Soccer) - I even took a "team photo" and made trading cards for all of the kids...
    • Got a new student who functions on an infant level (lower than my other student who functions at the toddler level) - who is an incredibly dear, wonderful little guy, but a huge amount of work. He is making great progress in all areas and getting used to our routine day by day...
    • With said new student got a new aide, who started out good, but as of recently has been attached to "texting" during the instructional day... an issue that I am currently working through but having difficulty getting support from my admin
    • I have two kids crushing on each other too! It's a verbal kid and a non-verbal kid. My verbal kid will say, "I think that she wishes she could say...." and it's so sweet. He's like her voice!
    • Are in the process of entering a video contest in which we got our lunch bunch friends to sing an original song (to the tune of "Party in the USA" - it's hilarious - in the background of our video. Fun times!
    • Started using Unique Learning System and I LOVE MY LIFE
    • I'm in my last semester of grad school and have one single thirty page paper remaining and then I'll be TeacherSK M.Ed. !
    • Got a new principal who still doesn't know anything about autism, but fortunately is very open to anything I suggest, so I am OK with him!
    • Got TWO community trips per WEEK approved... which has been amazing for the kids
    • Won a subscription to Weekly Reader through some Kleenex (??) contest
    • Got my PECS certification in the mail (holler)
    • Husband is about to get ordained! (holler again)
    • Aside from the aide issue (listed above) life is pretty good right now!

Zoom, sorry to hear about the Halo helmet. How is it working out? Is it serving the purpose you intended it to serve? Perhaps it will be a "Phase" and you will not need it for a long time! Think positive. :)

M2M, awesome with the new assistants and new programming, etc!

7. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

Wow, sounds like some exciting things happening!

I can't believe it is already almost Thanksgiving. Crazy!

-I moved schools. I now have an autism-only classroom, which is what I have wanted for a long time. Its awesome!
    -we had a random flood (which closed school) in September, followed by 30 straight days without any rain, followed by a wind/ice/snowstorm (today).
    -I got an ipod Touch and a ball chair donated on DonorsChoose!
    -After muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch waiting, pestering, emails, and phone calls, I finally got my SMARTboard installed and it is awesome.
    -I've got one of my most difficult kids going to general ed for 20 minutes in the morning successfully!
    -We have an AWESOME gym time in the middle of the day that gen ed peers are joining us for
    -One of my other kids went on meds and its making such a difference for her!
    -I got a CBI program approved if we can raise the funds for the transportation
    -I sucked it up and bought a subscription to N2Y and it was so worth it!
    -I discovered Target sells a great little laminator for $27.00!
    -I have a TEAM this year! Another ASD teacher and a DCD teacher. I think the DCD teacher is basically me in another body. It is so great to have colleagues and people to share, plan, and bounce around ideas with. My principal actually approved that our PLC (some staff development time) could be just us three working together on projects that work for OUR students (we just have to write her a summary of what we did so she can turn it in).
    -annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I got engaged.

Yeah, this is the best year ever for me.

8. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Oct 30, 2010

I, too like this game.

I got into 3 disagreements with one of the team leaders, I am in class support for junior and senior English.
    Senior team FINALLY included me on their emails so I now get MOST of the assignments so they can be modified.
    I finally have my schedule down.
    I got a thank you letter from a student, 1st one I've ever recieved.
    I went to a special ed department meeting found out there's cut backs in the future AGAIN, I just barely made it off the excess list this year.
    Decided I needed to milk my 20 year old car in case of lay offs in May.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

Wow Beth - congratulations!! :D

anew - - a halo helmet is a padded helmet for kiddos (or adults) that bang their heads. My son hits his head so much - the last straw was when he broke a classroom window with this head. Safety glass so his head didn't go THROUGH it, but it was really thick and totally shattered!

sk - Too soon to tell. He does keep it on though. He still bangs his head a lot though. BUT I'm noticing that sometimes, he'll make sure that the padded part hits the surface. So I guess that's something!

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

Zoom-
    It's interesting you mention that because I have known some kids who just "know" that what they're doing is wrong but they can't quite figure out how to stop doing it... so instead use a coping mechanism such as using the soft part of the helmet! SO - although it's a bummer you're in this situation, it IS good that he is making that connection!
    I had a kid in my last class who would "request" his helmet with a face shield right before he was about to go off and bite himself or us... it was amazing once we figured out how to teach him that - nothing else worked - then we taught him he could ask for the helmet, and it would protect him (and us) from major aggressive episodes. How do you apply the helmet (as in, non-contingent schedule, all of the time, as a consequence, etc.?) Sometimes that can make a difference too!

I've got lots of helmet experience under my belt. :)