encouraging info for job seekers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tb71, Jul 16, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

I just heard that one of the local colleges told their Ed. graduates not to count on getting hired until right before school starts.

I'm thinking positive--but I hate for things to be so unsure right now!

3. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Schools here begin Aug 3rd. All jobs in my county say they have to hire for open slots by July 27th.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

You could be hired right up until school starts-sometimes after if there is an unexpected enrollment 'surge'...don't give up hope, but DO send out resumes/packages NOW...and keep dropping by, emailing, getting your name and face 'out there'...;) Good luck!

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

So that would give you a whole week--as much as I see all the hired teachers on this thread doing, I don't know that I could get it done that quick. School starts here on 8/24 or 25th.

I'm one of those people that plan everything well in advance, by brother used to tease me b/c we planned what months we wanted our kids to be born. I hate not knowing!!! Just in case I don't get I hired, I'll have to do the 12 wks training with no pay and they haven't even given me a school assignment yet. UGH!!

6. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I've also heard that many districts hire right after school starts. I know things were very different in the last couple years..I mean geez, in FL two years ago they were BEGGING for teachers..that's when I first started teaching in FL...but they hired an additional 2nd grade teacher at my school a MONTH after school started....THEN halfway through the year they dispersed all of that teachers 2nd grade students into all the rest of our 2nd grade teachers classes and changed him to a 3rd grade teacher because of numbers....Luckily he got hired on permanently last year and he's there for good now..even with this economy..

I don't know what the point of my rambling is..but basically..I think even TODAY...they are trying right NOW not to hire more teachers than they have to...but once the school year begins..if their numbers are too high they will be forced to hire more teachers...so I really do think that getting yourself out there now and being persistent will GET YOU A JOB, even if it isn't until after the school year starts.