Employment Choices?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by elliemouse, Sep 4, 2008.

1. elliemouse

elliemouse New Member

Sep 4, 2008

Hello,

I have read these boards frequently since I became a preschool teacher for great ideas on lesson plans and classroom management. I am currently looking for a new position and have been offered two. Though this is a great position to be in, I am having a hard time deciding. Help would be appreciated!

The first position is in a private center in a large downtown metro with three locations, but not a national chain. I would be a lead teacher of the preschool (4-5) year olds. The ratio would be 12-1 with 22 children in the class. The owner writes all of the curriculum and does centers throughout the entire preschool together. ex. art is in one room, then math is in another and so on and rotate between the rooms. From the parents I have talked to the center is very nice but seems to have the normal staff turnover issues. Also, they are interested in paying for my education advancements. This position is about 15 mi. away from my house on a busy interstate.

The second postion is a church preschool in a mega church. This is in a more rural area. I would be the assistant teacher of the 4-5 yr. preschool class with a ratio of 6-1 with 12 children in the class. The lead teacher would be someone who has taught with this preschool for over twenty years. The church also uses the a Beka curriculum and I have never used worksheets in my preschool experience thus far. The location is only 5-6 mi. from my house using backroads.

The pay and benefits are the same and I am having a hard time deciding what is the best career move for me. Help!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2008

Even though the first position would mean a longer commute, I would choose that one since you would be the lead teacher and not an assistant.

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 4, 2008

mke a list of pros and cons for each one and then think about your future educational ambitions-- if you have gone as far as you plan to go withyour education then that's a mute point. Take into consideration the privileges and responsiblities of each and also the clientelle and how dealing with them might be for you--- do both places mesh well with our philosophy and life styles, what about the hours, planning time, etc. How will each effect your family life etc. It's a big decision and I feel for you. Can you visit each place for a day to get a feel for how things are run and if its a good fit for you? Do you wnat the responsibilty that comes with the privilege of being the lead teacher in a larger classroom? The first one doesn't sound like you will have much to say about what yout each, does the second let you supplement the a becca? Are you comfortable working in a church releated atmosphere? Waht are travel conditions like in the winter on interstate versus back roads? those are questions you might wnat to consider as well. Godd luck! Keep us posted!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 4, 2008

Don't forget the what you know, by visiting, of the philosophy (in reality, not on paper) of the programs, the way the rooms work and the individuals with whom you would need to work closely.

For instance if the director of the lead teacher option was an individual I couldn't work well with, that would make the placement more tragic for me than the assistant position if the lead teacher there were someone with whom I felt I could spend my days.

6. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I would probably go with the first one for the opportunity to further my education. My advice is to pray about it and do what's best for you (&family) in the long run. Good luck! Keep us posted!

7. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I would have to say the 1st because you would be a lead and not an assistant. I'm not too keen on the idea of switching rooms and doing school wide centers, but I am spoiled in my own little part of the world.

Good Luck!

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 4, 2008

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of switching rooms and doing school wide centers either-- I like being in contorl of what my kids are learning and when and having things set up the way I like them.

9. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I would consider the smaller school if you have met and would get along with the lead teacher. If the pay is the same for lead at job #1 and assistant at job #2, do you think the lead at job #2 makes more and if she retires within the near future, would you be in line for it? Also, have you driven the two routes during the times you would commute? Traffic on the interstate may make the 15 miles seem like an eternity.

10. young_ones

young_ones Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

I so disliked being in the Assistant (Ass.) Teacher position! I worked very hard to get out of that position as quickly as I could. The places I was an assistant at offered less money BUT with the same amount of work…not gonna happen for me!!! And the assistants never got the credit they deserved. I would definitely go for the lead teacher position.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

bottom line

From my experience, church-based programs are not able to offer the stability that regular child care programs provide. For example, although you say both jobs are equal in pay and benefits, are you sure that the church job offers things such as long term care, disability, tuition reimbursement, and sick time?

Did you know that church based employees (in IL) can't receive unemployment???

The center based program is geared for a profit. The church based program probably started for members, and expanded to the community. They may get some funding, or depend entirely on parishners for income. If, God forbid the something happened, the insurance would cover the building, but the employees would be out of work until they could rebuild.

Center based programs are operating for profit. You have room to grow. You can be a director, or even co-owner. You can even take over a new site, and maybe branch off to a new area.

The church based program is pretty much localized.

I am certain their are plenty of good church programs, and I am all for the faith based programs. They are certainly needed and provide jobs and care and education.

But the church job is a calling...and you may be asked to go above & beyond what is expected, especially as a church member, because this is more of what you are giving of yourself. this can be true of any job, but you don't want a guilt trip when it's 5pm and they ask if you can stay until 6pm. :unsure:

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 5, 2008

I just wanted to say that I work in a church based child care center in the preschool program and are licensed by the state ot have 101 children from 6 weeks to 12 years. we don't have to be members of the church---and if we are aksed to stay late because of an emergency we are never made to feel guilty if we say no--- and we are open to the community-- always have been --was never for only members of the church--we are state licensed and have stricter guidelines and are more progressive than the other centers in the area. You need to really check out both opportunities in detail-- and weigh all the pros and cons then make a decision. let us know what you decide.

13. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

That is a tough decision. Make a list of pros and cons for each and narro them down.
    I would tend to lead to the 1st one b/c you would be in charge of your own classroom, but it doesn't sound like you might all the freedom to be that creative with curriculum and changing rooms for kids could be tough.
    The 2nd one though would be great as well. Smaller class size, same benefits, etc.
    You will make the right decision for you. Good luck and keep us posted!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

of course there are exceptions to everything... your program is great

I am just offering my own experience and opinion...

15. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 6, 2008

Master PreK brings up an interesting point. Is the center-based program for- or non-profit? What are the benefits like?

If the pay is the same in both choices, I'd choose the one with better benefits that was non-profit.

My experiences with for-profit centers have left a bad taste in my mouth.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

Mark 4: 1-9 & 20

well said MsWK...

as teaching is a calling... many of us would work for free...if we were doing something that we really enjoyed!

I know I worked as a temp (temporary secretary) on an assigment as a secretary in a senior center. I enjoyed them so much, I told the director I would be back after my assignment.

and I did return for quite some time...and volunteered because I loved being there, listening to the stories, reading and helping, and they even offered me lunch!

so, with all being equal...look at stability, security, and future growth...because we can grow where we are planted...

but it is hard to grow if the ground isn't fertile and can't support us... :unsure:

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 6, 2008

I still say that you also need to look at the people in the environment with you. If all things are equal but one place offers better co worker or director options then I would consider that as well. Perhaps even more than if I were lead or not. It is hard to grow with poision being poured on you too, you know.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

yeah, that too...

19. snorkelbum

snorkelbum Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

i would choose the first beacause i don't think the A Bekka curr. is DAP.. i couldn't teach that... you should check that out carefully if you choose that one.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 6, 2008

I don't know if it is the same everywhere but I found out the hard way that if you lose your job at a nonprofit, you don't get unemployment.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

ditto cng...

btw... first week was great! things are going very well!

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 6, 2008

Serious? No idea-good to know. I don't work for a 501 c-3 but i almost opened one.

23. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 6, 2008

It is true that if we quit or get fired we can't collect unemployment --at least not until after a waiting period--

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

Ours wasn't based on a waiting period. The nonprofit agency is exempt from paying certain taxes and they don't have to pay into the unemployment insurance funds or whatever it is called.

25. elliemouse

elliemouse New Member

Sep 7, 2008

I have decided to go with the first choice. It had a very welcoming feeling and everything is very clean and bright. The parents seem to love it and several of the staff have been there for several years. Thank you for all of your help and I start tomorrow!

26. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

Congratulations!

27. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

:party::celebrate:Great-make sure you come in and let us know how very much you love it there!!!

28. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 7, 2008

:clap:
    That's so great! Congrats!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

IL law states employees in church-based program are not allowed to collect any UI benefits.

Sounds like you made the best choice for you! All in all, that's what really counts!

:partyhat:

Congratuations!

30. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Congrats!!! Good luck!