employee hangs up on my husband and their supervisor doesn't care????!! UGH!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

SOOOOOOO, as some of you may know, my hubby and I bought a house back in April. It's been nothing but problems getting this house ready for us to move in. It's been one thing after another. SO, we finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. The paint was so close to being done, the carpet installer will be coming out soon to install carpets (we got a great deal on it!). Everything seemed to finally come together! THEN we find out that the paint in our house didn't match. Some parts of the house is glossy and the other parts are flat. We specifically ordered satin paint for all of the walls and ceiling. We dug out all of the paint cans and sure enough, all of them say satin on it. YET, parts of the house have NO gloss to it, it's a flat. SO, long story short, we went to Lowe's Hardware and they told us all they do is add the paint color to the can. That we need to deal directly with the paint company (it's Olympics, BTW). We're annoyed, but we asked them if they could help us by contacting their rep and having their rep call us (if we did this ourselves, we would have to call this 800 number and who knows how many hoops we would have to go through to talk to an actual human). So, we just want them to help us deal with their rep and not deal with the phone system nightmare.

TOday, we didn't hear from the rep from the paint company. So, my husband called paint company during his break. The guy who answered said he didn't have time to call for a rep to come out to our house. My husband asked if he would have time later on. The guy got angry and said he didn't have time to call today. My husband calmly asked if he would call the paint rep tomorrow then. The guy got angrier and said he didn't have time to call! So, my husband explained that we want to get the paint in the bedrooms fixed before the carpet installer came. The guy got so angry that he just hung up on my husband! My husband called back, asked to speak to that guy and said, "Look, I don't appreciate being hung up on." He then asked to speak to a supervisor. My husband explained the WHOLE ordeal to the supervisor including the part about being hung up on. The supervisor did not apologize or say anything about the employee hanging up on my hubby. He didn't care at all.

I just don't know what to do. It's been four months of working on this house. I am so wanting to move in. I need to move out of this house with my parents and start my own life. I am just so frustrated.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 11, 2009

Maybe you could find a district manager's number. That is unacceptable!

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Not that I think you deserve to be hung up on....but I do think you're asking someone else to do something that's not their job before you even try to deal with it on your own. I mean...he did tell you that ALL they can do is mix the color into the paint. I know I sound hatefull...but that's really my opinion. I hate asking people to go out of their way to even do their jobs...I can't imagine asking them to do something in addition to their job just to make my job easier.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

Wow, that's really rude! Assuming the supervisor you spoke to is the store manager then I agree with TeacherNY, get a hold of the district manager. But first go for the highest up at the store itself if you haven't already.

Sorry to hear moving into your new home is turning into such a nightmare.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

~snip snip~

GAH!!!! GOt the wrong information. GEEEEZ *slaps forehead*

7. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

No, if you read all of my post...the first part says "not that I think you deserve to be hung up on". I just think you're being....persistant....in asking someone to go above and beyond what they get paid to do when you haven't even tried to handle it yourself. I just think that before interupting someone at work who's doing their job to ask them to go above and beyond their job 3 times in a few minute conversation without being willing to even TRY the number yourself, is asking a bit much. No, I don't think he should have hung up on your husband though

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

Sorry, did miss that first part. But, I still disagree. Lowes purchased paint form Olympics that was bad. Why is it now our problem? I don't see why it is not their job to help US figure out a way to fix this. PLUS, their rep needs to know so that the other bad batches of paint can be removed.

BTW: I'm very frustrated and annoyed and I feel that I was a bit snippish with you and apologize.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I agree with you. For the most part, if you buy something from a store and it is faulty, they replace it or refund it, and they deal with the manufacturer themselves. Obviously that's not the case if you get something with a warranty, but I doubt that was true for a can of paint. It's their job to take care of it.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

Oh no! Hopefully they all get their butts in gear.

Yep, I tell you, customer service has flown out the window (as I've said in my Making Legimitate Complaints thread).

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 11, 2009

I agree that it might not have been that guy's actual job to make calls for customers BUT his behavior was out of line. He could have referred Peachy's husband to his supervisor if he didn't think he could handle it on his own.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I made a mistake. My husband really needs to learn how to include details in his story when he tells me things. It wasn't the employee at Lowes, it was an employee at the actual paint company. My husband somehow got the number for the rep company and called them himself! It was the employee at the paint company who yelled at my husband and hung up! GAH. I wish he made that more clear. Nonetheless, they were rude too, which is worse because we NEED to deal with them to get this mess solved.

Thankfully, another rep from the company called and she apologized for that guys behavior and she said that they will be sending someone out to look at the paint in our house. Hopefully, that will be soon.

UGH!!! I'm so annoyed that I got annoyed at the wrong person. AAAAAAARGH!! I need to go on a vacation. I have been working ALL summer.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

I agree as well. I also think no one should ever hang up on someone.
    However, I can't seem to think that it wouldn't have been easier and quicker just to call Olympic directly.

It is not Lowe's fault the paint was bad. And, it is much different than buying something like a microwave that works improperly. Take that to the store and they submit it to the manufacturer for a credit. It is kind of hard to do that with paint.
    It could also have to do with the manufacturer's agreement with Lowe's.
    I bought an assemble-it-yourself entertainment center. A board was broken. The store I purchased it from would not exchange it- I had to call a 1-800 number, and they shipped me a new part. That is how the manufacturer dealt with things like that.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

Well, I hope that the paint company checks out the rest of the paint at Lowes to make sure there aren't any more bad batches!

Oh, and sorry about starting something based on the wrong facts!!! UGH! I feel bad. Sorry. :blush:

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

I am so glad you got some results.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Hold on a sec! Lowe's sold paint that was not what it said on the label. It is Lowe's responsibility to make sure what they are selling is accurate. They are the ones who should contact the paint company and deal with it. You aren't getting what you paid for!!! Companies send back to manufacturers products that are of poor quality or are mistakes all the time. For example, if you bought a loaf of bread that was moldy, and it isn't past the expiration date, you don't contact the bread company. You take it back to the grocery store and either ask for you money back or ask for another loaf of bread that accurately reflects what you paid for.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

Peachy-I thought you WERE talking about the Olympic guy when you said he hung up on your husband. So your husband's story came through in your writing, even if you didn't know it at the time. I followed it all the way through, which is why I didn't understand the Lives4Math statement about how it wasn't their fault. Of COURSE it was Olympic's fault! Of COURSE they should take the time to transfer the call. Grrrr for you.

18. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Me too! I was confused why people thought it wasn't the guy's job. If he works for the company who distributed the faulty paint, he should have just transferred your husband to whoever he needed to talk to! I can't imagine that a company that supplies paint to a huge chain like Lowes doesn't have a phone system capable of transferring calls.

Good luck, Peachy!

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

A letter to Lowes, Olympics and CC to the newspaper will get a response

I know that Lowes does not want an unhappy customer

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

Thank you all for understanding. Shouldbeasleep, I do agree that Lowes should help us out. That was what I was arguing, of course, then everything got all confused because of my misunderstanding my husband.

Anyways, we are now waiting for the Olympic paint company to call about coming out. Then, I had to call the carpet installer guy and tell him the problem and reschedule the carpet installation. He was supposed to come out today, but now we have to postpone, which is killing me because I SOOO want to get something done with the house. Oh, well. At least I found ceiling lamp/fans at OSH for only $25!!!!! So, something good has happened lately. :)

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

Jem, after I talked to my husband again, he explained that it was not Lowes but the paint company that was very rude. SO, I went back and changed some of the posts to reflect that.

SOrry, I came to vent and was mixed up about the facts and then I got everyone else mixed up. But, there WAS an employee who hung up on my husband!! That part is true. AND Lowes sold us bad paint. THat is also true!! :rolleyes: Sigh... I guess I need to double check my facts before complaining. :D

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Who's on first,
    What's on second and
    I Don't Know is on third ........
    We got the picture

BTW how's the mail box?

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

Mailbox? well, I still don't know if it should lock or not.

Oh, paint guy is coming out Tuesday. BLEH! oh well, it's taken us four months so far, what's another month?

24. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

I ordered a new sofa in November, and am still waiting. Long story.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

Whoa!!! Now, that is pretty bad. I ordered a telescope several months ago, back in March?? and I also have yet to hear from them. What did the company say as to why it was taking so long?

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

We ordered a stock entry door and it took 6 months to get it installed. The installer said that every time he planned on coming out, someone offered him a better paying installation. You better believe I DISCUSSED this with the big box hardware major chain store whose name shall not be mentioned but whose initials are HD. They refunded our installation.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

Long story-short version. My new sofa broke, and I ordered a part. Manufacturer kept putting off mailing it to me. Manufacturer finally promised to send me a new sofa. Manufacturer went out of business. (surprise!!) JC Penny finally agreed to give me a new sofa. I asked for a copy of my phone calls to them--35 pages!!! My sofa is scheduled to arrive next week. I will let you know if it really comes.