Emotionally exhausted

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Oct 7, 2009.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2009

I love my school but right now I'm completely spent. The last two days have had me acting more like a social worker than an educator, which is understandable given that I call people in their homes.
    • I've ask Truancy to check on a student whose home I'd previously visited and was overcome by marajuana fumes. A uniformed officer will be there as well. I feel like a narc.
    • The student who ditched our meeting yesterday called me in tears. She has no IEP on her records because her school never updated the one she had from 2005. She was embarrassed to tell me.
    • Mom #1 called me to ask to cut back on her son's classwork. His blood pressure is so high that he can barely get out of bed without being sick. He probably also has a heart murmur.
    • Mom #2 responded to a message asking why her daughter has handed in nothing. Daughter is severely bipolar and refuses to take her meds. Dad has been taking daughter in. Mom doesn't have his street address.
    :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2009

The one good thing about all the mess of the day is that I was the first one to catch that the student with no IEP also still needs to pass her state reading test. It may take a week or so to get her tested for our resource teachers but she can at least be moved into a Title I classroom with two teachers to assist her instead of just me. I talked to her about this and we were both in tears about how silly we were to let her almost sink in this class when there are ways to help her stay afloat.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 7, 2009

The tears of stupidity and frustration are caustic, catnfiddle, but sounds like you two were working toward the tears of release and healing by the end. That's good work, you know.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 7, 2009

Hugs, hope things improve for you!

6. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

Time for a glass of wine

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 8, 2009

Oh, I had the wine AND my husband made cinnamon rolls! Today was just as much fun. I was on the phone for an hour trying to talk a student through a nine-question quiz about Canterbury Tales. I would tell the student the answer, read the direct quote from the poem and then ask her the question. She couldn't retain the information. After hanging up with her, I quickly checked her test scores and realized that she had failed every state test by a huge margin. ACK! Thankfully (and this is a mantra), my principal is so supportive! He's immediately getting this girl tested for an IEP and is getting her moved to a class with two teachers for more support.

Tonight, I had another glass of wine and another cinnamon roll. Tomorrow may call for the shot of scotch I've been eyeballing all week.

8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Oct 8, 2009

They are lucky to have you! And although scotch isn't my thing, I personally think all teachers should be able to deduct the cost of weekly foot massages from our taxes! (and maybe the cost of cinnamon rolls.)

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2009

Cat, I have a class of standard-level seniors. Last week we finished reading selections from Beowulf. I gave them a review sheet to do that included the line numbers where the answers were found. We went over all the answers together on Tuesday. Today I gave them 15 minutes to study their sheets before I gave them a 20-question multiple-choice test taken directly from the review and that had only 3 options for each question.

The result? The best grade was 18/20, and the lowest was 12/20. Whaddya gonna do? :dunno:

BTW, I just started Canterbury Tales with my college prep classes.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2009

Things keep rolling me over. One of my students I had last year when I was still a Title I teacher is in my English class this year. I spent most of last year getting her to trust me and work with me on her assignments. She's completely shut down this year. Why? Because she didn't want to tell me that the assignments are too hard for her. This is a student I've visited at home to help with her assignments. What the heck makes her think I won't sit with her and work with her again? :banghead:

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 10, 2009

I sure feel for you! These situations are so draining - because you are a caring person and want to help.

So here is what helps me - get the glass of wine and a tablet. On one side, write what you can do to help. On the other, write the things you have no control over.

Then cross out those things you have no control over. Get another glass of wine. If you are a person of faith, turn those things over to the One who can help. Literally picture yourself handing each item over.

Then you are left with a nice glow, and a list of things you can do to make things better.

It is painful and distressing to be a person who really loves people. You must find a way to let go of the things you really have no control over. This is a big thing in my life right now and I am practicing - but we don't get much wine in my house!