Emotionally Exhausted!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Channe24, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Channe24

Channe24 New Member

Aug 16, 2006

Well, I had another 'great interview' yesterday...at least that is how the principal described it when she called to tell me I didn't get the job. I have had only 6 'great interviews' this entire summer. I have created a great website for myself. I have tried to visit the principals of each school I was interested in. I gave out portfolios to 15 schools! I have emailed the principals with information about me and links to my website. All of this and I can't, for the life of me, get a job. I have one school that may call me for an interview in the next few days, if they need more teachers.

I have never tried so hard and continued to fail as I have trying to get my 1st teaching job. I even bought that Acing teacher interview jobs, but still didn't ace it. Every principal tells me that I had a great interview and that they will pass my name on, but that they decided to give the job to someone with more experience or someone that 'fit' the school better. What exactly does that mean?

Of course, everyone that I express concerns with tells me to substitute for a year, then try again. I can't afford to sub. This is the most emotionally draining thing I have ever done. Everytime I have an interview I get so excited, just to be let down, or better yet, receive no phone call at all. I have had principals avoid my follow-ups, just because they didn't want to talk to me.

Where do I go from here?

3. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

That first teaching job is very hard to get. Most principals want experience. It is a tricky equation, because you can't get experience if you don't get a job! We have all been there, but the only advice I can give you is this: Get the experience however you can. For some, that means sub. There are long-term sub jobs that open up every day, and if you put your name in with a bunch of different districts you will have work for every day. If you 'cant afford' to sub, you can still get a full time job with weekend and evening hours (retail, restaurant, hotel, etc.) so that you can sub during the day. For others, that means putting your name in the really undesirable districts, the places that are either 'tough', low-paying, or have not-so-great reputations. Charter and parochial schools are said to be low-paying, that might be a start. My first job was in an urban charter school, and I got experience that was very valuable that got me my next job. Don't give up- unfortunately, our profession has a high burnout rate. People quit, move, get sick, etc. all the time. If you interview really well, be assured that you will get a position in time. Once you do not get offered the position, use your connection as a networking contact: ask for specific feedback on your resume or performance, what info should you know about, etc. If you have any problems with licensure (pending status, etc.) take care of it right away. Most often, that is the biggest reason why people don't hire new grads. Good luck, it is not too late, you can do it.

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 16, 2006

I know how you fell. I have gone on 20 interviews and have had many years experience and I am fully credentialed. I have had to reosrt to subbing. Try getting your name on sub lists and applying for tuttoring. That is what I am doing. I feel bad because one of my colleagues who is an Inter got a job at a district that I love. I e-mailed the district and asked them to consider me for permanent positions. You might also consider applying for TA jobs then you woud be ready when a teaching position opens up. Try contacting Kelly Educational Staffing to sub in private schools. You can go on the Kelly Services Website or cantact your local Kelly Services Office to find out where they are located in your area. they will send to sub in both public and private schools and you can buy health insurance through them. Also apply at every private school you can think of including religious ones. Have someone critique you on your interviews. I feel emotionally exhausted to but I am going to keep trying and I will sub if I cannot get something permanent. Good luck! Terry G.

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 16, 2006

You might want to read Landing Your First Teaching Job to assist you in your search. The tips there are specifically geared towards people seeking their very first teaching job.

Please keep up the determination and persistence and don't always get your hopes up THAT high every time you get an interview. Remember, an interview is no guarantee of a job and if you don't get an offer then there's a good reason behind it. Eventually, you'll find a principal or HR person to connect with who'll make you an offer.

Good luck! :cool:

6. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I'm in the same boat, too! I am fully credentialed, been on two interviews, but have yet to receive an offer for my first teaching job. Right now I am subbing, but I find it hard to get the long-term sub positions (and I've been subbing for over two years in the same district).

I know that there are still a few openings for positions at the elementary level, but time is starting to run out with schools starting on the 30th of August. Since I can't hold out waiting for an offer that may not come, I have decided to pursue the single subject science credential. I am hoping that with the need for science and math teachers, I will be able to get a job faster than at the elementary level.

I am still holding out hope for an elementary position, but at this point, I need to resort to plan "B". Please don't feel that you are going through this alone. I know how emotionally draining this whole process is turning out to be. I did not think it would be this hard to find a teaching job, but I encourage you to hang in there, take a step back, and consider other options you may have - such as finding a long-term sub position, applying to private schools (even though the pay it lower), or teaching at a different grade level - middle or high school. Good luck!

Chiquita

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

If you look through this forum there are a lot of us who have not gotten a teaching job yet. I was a stay at home mom and now want to go back to the classroom. It is just as hard to get in as it is for a new teacher with no experience. This job search thing is very emotionally draining. Some days you just need to get away from it and do something fun for a day or two. I feel like my whole summer went by and I didn't spend much time with my family because I was so engrossed in trying to find a job. I am trying to let it go. It is so hard.....

8. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I know what you mean. I feel like I spent the whole summer consumed with searching for a job. I managed to do a couple of fun outings with my kids, but even then I kept thinking about getting a job. I keep telling myself that next summer will be different because I won't have this hanging over my head. I don't care if I get in job mid-year, I know one will turn up. Hang in there everyone!!

Chiquita

9. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 17, 2006

i know exactly how you feel. I've been looking for a job all summer too and after three interviews, i still haven't found one. Like someone else said on here, its hard to get experience when they won't hire so you can get the experience. I've started working on sub packets so i have something to fall back on because it looks like that's what I'll be doing again this year. Its so fustrating because like you, I get excited when I got my interviews, but was very disappointed and fustrated when they went with someone else. Just try to hang in there.

10. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I know what everyone means. The job search really is just emotionally exhausting. I too feel like I wasted my summer writing and re-writing my resume and cover letter, running to the mailbox, waiting at home so I wouldn't miss a call and constantly checking the job postings...I'm worn out too. I'm so frustrated that I've decided I'd better start looking for some other type of work though nothing else excites me the way teaching does. Oh well...I guess some things just weren't meant to be.

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

Shortee - don't give up - there has to be something out there.
    What is your specialty? Do you have multiple endorsements on your license? Could you go back to school to get additional endorsements?
    The pay stinks, but could you go into pre-school? I taught in three different day care facilities during a 6 year period. I really liked it. I was teaching not babysitting!!! I did lesson plans and field trips. As a Kdgtn teacher I utilized the same programs that the local public schools were using.
    Just a thought!

12. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 20, 2006

kidatheart-Well, I had hoped that at least after school began there might be some openings but the local newspapers have already said that enrollment here was far less than they'd expected. My certification is in middle grades English so I'm very limited. I'm planning to add certification for grades K-5 but I won't be able to complete that until sometime in November. I also taught preschool for a number of years and I enjoyed it back then but I could NOT do it now. And around here subbing is much better pay than teaching preschool. I'm still lokking aand hoping and sending out resumes but I'm afraid if I find something that's not in the schools, at this point I'm going to have to take it.

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Isn't it terrible! I am so disappointed in this whole teacher search.
    On a semi-bright note, I have rec'd one of the nicest rejection letters ever!
    And I am accepting the aide position that was offered to me. I figure worst case scenario is that I have to get a part time job somewhere - best case. Someone will acknowledge my skills and offer me a dream job!

14. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 21, 2006

I'm really kicking myself now. I wa offered a long term sub position from the day school started for the first 9 weeks and I turned it down. I guess I almost felt as if they were just looking to cover that class for half the cost. They were still going to continue looking for someone permanent in there even knowing I was looking for something permanent. What grade is the aide position for? When do you start?

15. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

Channe, sorry you didn't get the job.... again. Boy do I know how that feels! I am in the same boat.
    Did you think that book "acing interviews" helped prepare you? Do you recommend it? I've been doing the sub thing, getting con't ed classes, sending the ole resume, nothing.
    Do you have a recommendation on how to do a website? That is something I don't know how to do, but want to learn....
    Any suggestions are welcom

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 22, 2006

Maybe you knew it wasn't the right thing for you right now. It is hard not to second guess yourself though.
    I will be working with three grade levels, not sure if it will be k-2 or 3-5, the super was still working on the schedule deciding if he wanted to keep the other aide where she was or move her around.
    I am going in next week to fill out paperwork and get the tour, etc.

17. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

Don't worry you're not the only one in this situation. Besides being emotionally exhausted I'm also mentally exhausted. I haven't had one interview this entire summer and I've probably sent out 50+ resumes to districts in Los Angeles and Orange County as well as to principals!!! There are days where I'm very optimistic and there are days like today where I just want to give up. I never thought it would be this tough :(

18. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 24, 2006

Hey, Channe24
    The only advise I can give is to stay in the field if at all possible. Tutoring, subbing or being a TA. I made the mistake of getting out of the field because I couldn't afford to sub anymore after 2 years. Now I'm back to square one, out of the loop and no one is looking past the fact that I worked outside of teaching for many years.
    Now I'm biting the bullet, taking a massive cut in pay and working as an aide for the year in hopes that it will pan out and something better will come along.
    I definitely feel your pain!!!

19. danc2themusic

danc2themusic New Member

Aug 24, 2006

Emotionally Exhausted

I can relate to what you are going through. I have finally secured a 4th grade position after a long summer of heartache and frustration. I did sub last year as a long term. I was assured the classroom would be mine come this year and then it was given to someone with more experience and education...with the principal saying that I had done a WONDERFUL job and a glowing reference was mine for the asking. My only advice is to keep plugging and you may have to sub for the year to get the experience. Long term subbing is difficult and the pay is awful, but the experience is priceless and it is that experience that got me my job this year. Good Luck.

20. jadie

jadie Rookie

Aug 27, 2006

Channe, I'm so sorry about the interview. I just want you to know that you are not alone. I realize now, after reading all these posts that there are LOTS of people going through the same thing. It is emotionally exhausting and sometimes doesn't seem worth it. However, to me it is the only career that I feel that I would ever want to do. Knowing this has been the drive that has motivated me. I'm trying my hardest, and if nothing comes up and it's not likely that it will, then I will sub yet again. One good thing I have found about subbing is you get to see a lot of different classrooms and teaching styles. I've actually kept a notebook with me of neat ideas that I would like to recreate in my own (someday) classroom. Anyhow, now that I've written a novel....don't give up and know that you are not alone in this very hard job search!

21. Mllezoe

Mllezoe Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

Confused About Teaching Jobs

Hi all,
    I was a college (part-time) art history instructor for 6 years. I could NOT find a permanent job and yet decided I loved teaching so much I'd go back for my MS credential. I am totally confused reading these boards, and terrified now too. All I hear is how America needs teachers. Why are so many people having problems finding jobs? Is everyone looking only in the desirablel, suburban school districts? Is there a glut of elementary school teachers? I'm supposed to start my credential program this week. Should I even bother? If looking for a job is going to be as hard as it sounds on these boards, I give up. I already went through that looking for a college job. I never thought getting a teaching job would be a cake walk, but I am stunned at the trials you guys are going through.

Anyone have any opinions as to the discrepency between the so-called need for teachers and the difficulty of getting a job? Is it more a case of getting that first teaching job???

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2006

There are some spot shortages, in Math, Upper level science (I'm talking Chem and Physics) and Special Ed. Many of the other shortages are in inner cities, or specific regions of the country.

But, at least on Long Island, there is NO teacher shortage-- any subject, any specialty, any level. I think it's a combination Urban Legend and School of Education propaganda.

Give it 10 or 20 years , and things may be different. The very leading edge of the baby boomers is just turning 60-- and most can't afford to retire at 65 anymore.

23. live2teach

live2teach Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I COMPLETELY understand being emotionally exhausted.. I have interviewed all summer and am currently waiting to hear on a position and it blows. I am fully qualified, have my MSED degree and have experience teaching. I too have been told that I was "fabulous" when interviewing. I've felt like saying well if I'm so fabulous, why didn' t you hire me. In most cases I've found they hire someone within the district...which is always nice to know that you were just used to fill a interview quota. I went on one interview where the principal called me for the interview because she had received my application from the "database." I went and when she called me to let me know I had not been chosen, she informed me that they went with someone within the district. Obviously she picked this "district person" to interview and just had everyone else show up for poos and grins. As you can see I'm venting here and have been interviewing for a long time. I am trying to remain positive and I hope you can do the same. It is tough but I figure something has to give...it could be my mental state!:p :D