Emotional Support vs Learning Support

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by roll, Nov 20, 2010.

1. roll

roll Rookie

Nov 20, 2010

I requested LS for my internship placement next semester. I got ES instead and changing is not a real option. I will ask my advisor but wanted to know what people thought - what effect will this have on job opportunities? I'm worried that I won't enjoy ES as much (my field was in LS) and that employers will turn me down for not having the LS experience.

Also what are my chances of landing an ES job without ABA certification? Thanks!!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2010

I think that in an ES job, you will need to work with many students who would benefit from the learning supports as well. When you apply for a job, highlight this part of the job as well as the extra skills that you learned through the position.

You probably won't find an ES job without certification or a plan to get the certification. But its never a bad idea to have more certifications just to get in a school.

4. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Nov 21, 2010

I have been teaching special ed since 1995, and one thing has always been true: There is a very blurry line between ES and LS. Very few kids need one and not the other. I am now primarily an LS teacher, but my years of teaching in SBD classrooms makes me a better LS teacher every day. So many mental health needs in schools today....

5. roll

roll Rookie

Nov 21, 2010

Thank you! I noticed in the LS classroom I observed there were at least a few kids diagnosed with EBD. So it sounds as though this won't hurt me.

Around here additional cert would take me another year and a lot of $$. I'm hoping to push any more school off for at least a few more years, until I decide what I want to specialize in.

6. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 22, 2010

I'm also in PA and don't think you have to have an additional cert. When I was interviewing this summer I received interviews for both ES and LS positions. I ended up being hired for an LS position and canceled the ES interview.

7. TeachSpeak

TeachSpeak Rookie

Nov 26, 2010

I have been an ES teacher for 25 years in Virginia, Georgia and now Pennsylvania and I've never been required to have ABA certification. AND I highly recommend ES - it's an amazing group of kids and I think you'll end up loving it! :)
    Good luck!
    Margot Parsons

8. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Nov 28, 2010

I'm further west than you, but did my student teaching in a behavioral support situation. It was a great experience! I don't teach in that setting anymore, but have great classroom management skills and am very up on special education law. I'm also not afraid of kids that are described as difficult. Even if you don't stay in that setting, it'll help you in other situations. I think this could be a great placement for you.

9. roll

roll Rookie

Nov 28, 2010

Thanks everyone! :) It does sound as though the placement will be challenging but enjoyable. I like a challenge and I am definitely looking to improve in the way I interact with more challenging students. So hopefully next semester will go well!

10. TeachSpeak

TeachSpeak Rookie

Nov 29, 2010

Who does require the ABA certification to teach ES/EBD?