Emotional and Behavioral problems

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by mschristine23, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

I am currently at FSU pursuing my Master's degree in Special Education. I was wondering if any of you would be able to direct me to some good websites, books, or any other information that would be useful for my project. I am doing it on Emotional and Behavioral problems. Anything, that you would be to tell me would be greatly appreciated.

3. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Sep 11, 2005

Can you be more specific on your topic? There are LOTS of E/BD problems out there, and sometimes kids deal with more than one at a time.

4. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

More info

I am doing it on the basis of what are emotional and behavioral disorders, such as types and what causes them. Right now, I am just looking at different resources to kind of narrow down specifically what I am going to talk about. I just wanted a few more sources. I also wanted to see some sources on warning signs for teachers and activities that teachers can use. Let me know if you need me to provide any more information on what I am looking for.

5. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 16, 2005

These books are HIGHLY recommended
    Positive Intervention: For Serious Behavior Problems by Diana Browning Wright, Harvey B. Gurman

Tough to Reach Tough to TEACH: Students with Behavior Problems by Sylvia Rockwell

These books are both excellent resources for strategies to determine the causes of behavior issues, how to collect data efficiently, and the second book gives specific management when working with students with Emotional Disabilities. I hope this helps.

Troy

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 17, 2005

Welcome! You can subscribe to the monthly LDOnline magazine for free. It is full of info.

www.LDOnline.com

7. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Sep 20, 2005

Thank you

I wanted to say thanks so much for your help. It is a big topic and all your responses help so much.

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 20, 2005

I LOVE The Tough Kids Books for practical approaches to behavior management.

9. liz

liz Rookie

Sep 23, 2005

I love the Tough Kid series as well. I have recently discovered the Skillstreaming in Early Chilhood book. It is by Ellen McGinnis and Arnold Goldstein. They have different books for different age groups. They give social skill lessons with 3-4 steps. It is great!
    good luck,
    liz

Another great author is Torey Hayden. She is a former teacher of children with emotional disabilities and she has written 5 or 6 books. Check out Beautiful Child or Someone Else's Kids. I love to read them over and over.