Emissions (smog) tests?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 26, 2012.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

I just learned that some counties in California don't have vehicle emissions tests at all. In the Bay Area, I have to get my car tested every two years (it's 10 years old) and if it doesn't pass, I can't renew my license plates. High stakes testing !! :lol:

Do you have to have your car tested for emissions?

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2012

(love your Marida avatar!!!)

Here on the East Coast, we're required to have an emissions test once a year. It's so funny you mentioned it because I actually had mine yesterday. The guy who did it wasn't very thorough though...normally it takes about 10 minutes. This guy only took about two, but considering how long the line was and the hot weather, I didn't complain.

When I was in college, my friend had an old junker that failed the emissions test. I'm not sure what he had to do to get it back on the road, but he was pretty upset.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

Thanks, Em_Catz. Love Merida.

I had my car tested last week. I actually needed the new registration to register my daughters for school. I have to do an inter-district transfer every single year so they can come with my to the district where I teach. It's worth it, though, for sure since it's a major perk of my job.

I had problems in college getting my car to pass the tests. I think I took it too literally when people told me you could keep a VW Beetle running with rubber bands and duct tape.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

We need them in CT, too. (The tests were phased out for newer cars for a while, but I believe everyone needs them once again.) It's every 2 years for us. I actually just got a reminder card for mine last week!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

Not here.

I am VERY supportive of better taking care of our planet and health, but what happens to the poor person who has a failing car and who can't afford to repair or replace it? I don't know so I'm asking, but are there sometimes easy solutions to this? I don't know...filters or something? That could be a really dumb question. :unsure:

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

The counties with the greatest poverty are exempt from the smog laws. If someone lives where they are required, they have to find a way to repair their car, get a newer one that is more likely to pass, or go for public transportation. Sometimes you have to do things that are risky, like drive anyway and hope not to get caught.

Poverty, that is a big subject.

8. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

In FL they don't require emissions testing at all (I believe they used to and then stopped in 2000). When I moved to the southwest, they require it every two years if your car is older than 4-5 years. My car is a 2006 and I needed a test last year, it was super fast, I only had to get out of the car for a few minutes, paid the fee and got my paperwork to renew my registration/license plate.

If your car doesn't pass you cannot renew your plate/registration until it does. They will tell you why it didn't pass. If your check engine light is on (even if its just a computer malfunction and nothing is wrong) you automatically fail. The place I went to had a emissions repair shop across the street for cars that failed. However if someone can't afford to fix the car, they either drive with expired tags and hope they don't get caught or take public transportation.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

I have a hybrid car, so it's not required. I LOVE my car! :)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2012

No such thing here.

Lots of old junker cars here, so I can imagine there would be a lot of people driving illegally if it were required. I live in an area with no public transportation. We're so rural that there isn't any way to walk anywhere easily, and you'd be taking your life in your hands riding a bike on our winding, narrow roads.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

We have emissions tests, but only in the largest counties in the state. I don't know exactly how they chose the counties, but I think I remember it being something about having the most people doing the most driving (most people commute pretty far as compared to very small towns/farmers driving habits).

12. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I did in CA (Los Angeles area). Here in TX...I don't know. I haven't needed to yet, though we do have vehicle inspections required yearly and I'm not sure what all they check at those other than the proof of insurance they ask for. But from the horrific amounts of exhaust coming off some cars I've seen, I would guess that they don't do smog checks here--at least not on everyone!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

14. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 26, 2012

I have to get my car smog checked every year, and it's an 07. It was only 2 or 3 years old when I moved here and had to start getting it checked.