Emergency Sub Plans

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ms.irene, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2014

The other thread about subs and plans reminded me that I am (still) procrastinating on doing this for my new school (I know, I know!). My school wants a full week of emergency plans (three block periods). What do you do for block period sub plans? What about a foreign language that few subs speak? I am drawing a huge blank on what to come up with that will fill a whole week -- besides praying it never happens, any other suggestions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2014

I'm not a foreign language teacher, but for my emergency plans I typically leave things that don't require a lot of teaching into...

Some ideas:

Word searches
    Dialogs/readers theater
    Reading passages with questions
    Country of language origin research

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 30, 2014

Matching pictures to words
    Love the above idea about researching the country. Maybe you could have them do a mini research project on a person who speaks the language or influenced the language in some way.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2014

Thank you for the great ideas! I like the mini research project idea, but how would you set up a research project without access to computers or resources beyond the textbook? Such is the reality of my classroom, unfortunately...I always run into that catch when planning and feel like there must be a good solution I'm not thinking of?

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Oct 1, 2014

Please remember if you use computers alot in your class generally the subs can not access that information.

7. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 2, 2014

Even if you don't have access to computers, can you come up with some resources for researching a country that speaks your language?

You could have a packet of work for Country A, Country B, and Country C, and the students could work on one each block period.

Or you could have one day be a video about the country, one day be a reading/writing assignment about the country, and one day a reading/writing assignment about a person from that country.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2014

There is nothing wrong with accumulating your own inclass library from travel books, and resources retired from libraries and found at thrift stores. Using books shouldn't be considered obsolete - I mean, we had Hurricane Sandy, no electricity, no phones, no cell service or internet, but with books, learning went on. You just needed enough light to read them!

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2014

Thanks again for the ideas...I am working on developing my in-class library, but being a still-new teacher, what I have is limited and probably not enough to keep a research project afloat for 100 minutes with 30 students all at once. I like the idea of doing packets...it just seems so time-consuming to try to plan so much work with so little to go on!

I am definitely wary of giving a sub plans that rely on technology...too many things can go wrong, from the wi-fi not working to kids misusing/abusing devices and I can't count on the sub to be able to improvise. I am also wary of spending too much of my own personal money on classroom items, since I feel like we are all out of pocket more than enough already.

I could teach French in the dark with no books if I was there myself...it's trying to give someone else something to go on for a full week that has me stumped!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 5, 2014

Are there any appropriate movies from that country? I found a pg-13 movie about too teens for a French class I had to cover. Perfect for 9th graders!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2014

:lol: a sub probably shouldn't be choosing a movie:2cents: you never know, you could end up with something along the lines of 'La maison de poupee' :rolleyes:

If a teacher is leaving a movie, there should be an accompanying note taking guide or other written response requirement. :2cents:

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2014

Thanks again for all the ideas...Although I agree, a French film about two teens sounds iffy, knowing how French films tend to be...

14. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Oct 9, 2014

Also a language teacher here...and rather new to it as well. I haven't yet fully developed my emergency sub plans, but I have accumulated a couple of things so far. The textbook we used comes with some readings in the target language, so those are easy to leave along with reading comprehension tasks (answering Qs, writing a summary or response, etc.). I think leaving a class set of some sort of authentic material could be neat as well (an infographic, a comic strip, etc.), because they could always translate parts, add more to the story, create their own, write their opinion about it, etc. I agree with you - it's difficult figuring this out, especially when regular planning sucks up all of my time! :)

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 9, 2014

I show at least one movie a year (thinking of another this year too). I don't require any writing while they're still viewing. The writing comes after when they do an essay that relates to the book we read and the movie with the same topic. I tell them they can take notes but some are very familiar with the movie I show.

OP, can you do a donors choose project to get more books? What about current event articles? I leave those a lot.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2014

I would not leave a research activity for the sub if there are issues accessing information and technology. While the idea of creating country info packets is creative, it would be so seriously time consuming that it would hardly be worthwhile.

I am a foreign language teacher. Here's what's in my emergency sub tub:

Several news articles that pertain to my subject. I have included several comprehension questions and critical thinking questions, along with instructions for students to create their own critical thinking questions (with answers) based on the reading.

Create-your-own-study-guide. Students have to write a certain number of study questions about anything we have learned so far this year. They must also include answers.

Numerals practice activities (adding, subtracting).

For my upper levels: some sight reading passages and children's books written in the target language.

17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2014

Just coming back to this thread to say thank you! Caesar, your ideas sound perfect -- doable without creating a nightmare amount of prep.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this and procrastinating and need to just get on it before flu/cold season hits! I also need to get my flu shot while I'm at it...