Emergency Sub Plans - Ideas PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Sep 5, 2009.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I need to come up with 3 days worth of Emergency Sub Plans to turn in by Thursday. Does anyone have any neat activities that I can include?

So far I have (some math review sheets for Addition/Subtraction/Multiplication/Place Value), a couple of Reading Comprehension activities, a couple of grammar sheets (review). A story (Ms. Nelson is Missing) and a writing activity to go with it. A few activities to go with Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. A couple of Social Studies / Science activities that could be used. I would like to add more items (this group loves to talk unless they are kept busy).
    I thought about giving them directions for a couple of games they could play with just math flash cards or the week's spelling words.

Anyone have some bright and exciting activities I could include?

Thanks,

Melissa

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 5, 2009

I have random class sets of reading comprehension pages in my emergency sub tub. I also have a few graphing activities where they have to color, cut, and glue.
    Other things to put in:
    *several read aloud books
    *Scholastic News/or equivalent- Sometimes that have a set that can be used any time of year. That's the set I put in my tub.
    *Easy Art Project- My favorite is the torn paper project. All students need is construction paper and glue, and it can be relevant any time of the year.
    *Year round activity book so the sub can copy more pages if needed

4. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

When I was a sub a teacher had me have the class write her a letter about their day.....the letters were great. They were really honest in their letters and told what work they got done, if they behaved (and surprisingly kids even mentioned when they were bad),etc.

I'd say too putting in like 4 simple centers...that the kid could do for 15 minutes. Then the sub could rotate, that would take up an hour!! One could be reading, another computers, some spelling activities, and maybe a writing prompt/reading comp something like that (or if you have a listening center).

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

I also love to add the color/cut/glue activities- sometimes they are a little messy, but the kids take a long time with them. An easy art project would be good if you can have all the materials somewhere accessible. Otherwise, it sounds good to me!

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Sep 6, 2009

I had to do this this past week. I put decodables in there and listed where literacy/math board games could be located...where addition/subtraction cds were...ideas for leveled readers, some of the students' favorite books, etc.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I try & put in a bingo game, with a note where prizes are located.

Can you put in a video? If you choose a movie like Toy Story, the teacher could stop the video after different scenes & talk about what has happened. I use Toy Story to talk about friendship. When I taught 3rd I would have them write about why the toys were mad at Woody after Buzz fell out the window & then we would talk about it. Or what part you want. Then they can share their thoughts & feelings. I've done that on those days that I just don't feel good, but came in anyway.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2009

I have subbed for over 12 years in public schools. When I sub, the teacher leaves me her lesson plans and I go by those so that she isn't behind and off track when she returns. I see the point of having a few extra things just in case, but why wouldn't you want the sub to do your lesson plans? The CORE LA, math and whatever subjects that you would be teaching that day? In today's school there is no time for busy work.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

Heavens,

Unfortunately you have not been my sub! I've had subs teach things wrong or used different vocabulary then we use at school. I've had subs not follow the directions in my plans, given the kids the answers, given extra time etc. I've had subs pull worksheets off my shelves & give to the kids.

I've just come to the conclusion that there are some things that I don't want my sub teaching, therefore I have to substitute something else. Or I do it in such a different way that it is difficult for a sub to step in without knowing the procedure, or I know that my kids would take advantage of the sub.

Does that make sense?

I don't want it to be a wasted day, therefore I try & leave things that the sub can do & it won't cause issues if it isn't done the way I would have done it. I look at it as a review day.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2009

Also, what is in my sub tub is for an unplanned absence. If I am sick on a Monday, I might have a book that the sub would need to teach with at home, or have my lessons plans with me, or like last year, I had the flu and the school schedule was changed because of the weather, and my plans were almost worthless. Otherwise, yes, I do have the sub stick to my lesson plans as closely as possible, although like pp said, it doesn't always happen....

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

Heavens,

These plans are for if I am out and it's not a "planned absence". In other words like TeacherC said in case I wake up, can't make it in, and have the lesson plans with me. We are being hit hard by the flu right now (kids and staff) and one of my teammates was out 2 days w/o having plans at school since it was the beginning of the week. We got the e-mail about 3 days of emergency plans after that. I just want those things to be "review" of skills and I will try and catch up when I get back. So far you all have had some really good suggestions. I have a talkative bunch this year but if they have lots of things to keep them busy they can actually work quietly.

12. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

I always fall back on plenty of CRCT practice. My 5th graders need to practice ALOT!!!

13. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Sep 6, 2009

Oh, I do want the sub to do my plans. However, our admin still requires us to have several days of "emergency plans" incase they can not follow our plans for some reason or if we are out past what we already have planned. Most of our permanent subs do an excellent job of following the plans to the t, but there are still some that you come back, and you can't tell that anything was done, unfortunatly.

14. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Sep 7, 2009

For EMERGENCY plans we are not allowed to give plans that use our regular curriculum. We have to come up with lessons that can stand alone. It's actually really annoying but the admin's thoughts are that in an emergency you would not know where you are in the book, or things may be different at different points in the year. When I am out on a planned absence or even when I'm sick I write out actual plans that use our regular curriculum. FTR I have never used my emergency plans (nor has anyone else that I know in our building) but we have to do them at the beginning of each year.