emergency permits/limited license question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by weisemaries, Jun 13, 2007.

1. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Have any of you contacted schools and asked them if they would accept someone with an emergency permit/limited license in a high needs area? Did it work for you? There are a couple of schools near me that have a high school math position that has been posted for a few months now. I am enrolling at a local college this fall to get my math endorsement. I also plan to take the Praxis II Math Content Knowledge test soon to see if I can get highly qualified in Math--to add to my Special Education Certification. (My license is Mild Disabilities K-12) I think it would be wonderful to get Math experience while I am working on my math endorsement. What do you guys think?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

I am licensed in Indiana, although I teach in NV now. I know there are some districts which will allow emergency credentials. Where are you at? My friend got a part time position teaching a foreign language in Bloomington, and she didn't have either a teaching license or any coursework towards one.

I guess it couldn't hurt to call.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

I should add that at least here in NV, we teachers had until June 1 to become highly qualified in our subjects. There's a rumor going around that everyone who isn't HQ will be let go (but I don't see how this is possible...that's a discussion for another time).

If Indiana has a similar deadline, it may not work because you wouldn't be HQ in the field you're teaching in. Again, I'd probably still make the phone call, first to the school and then to the district licensing office.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2007

It sure wouldn't hurt to apply! The district may wait until the last minute to hire since they're hoping to find a candidate who is currently qualified. I was willing to take an unusual position once but I hesitated. when I finally called to inquire, they told me they had hired someone who wasn't qualified yet. they have to hire someone and it could be you.

6. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jun 13, 2007

You're in the exact position where limited licenses are to be used - credentialed yet looking to change subject areas. Here in California, if you are a limited license teacher (called limited assignment permit), the school is not hit for having a teacher out of his subject area. This is very different than an emergency permit. Call the school, talk to the principal and detail your plan. A principal would much rather start the summer with a filled position than hold out for someone that they have not been able to find so far....

7. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I live in hendricks county. (about two counties north of Bloomington) One of the schools is in Hendricks and the other one is in Putnam.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking about emailing the principals directly. At one of the schools, I have applied for and interviewed for a Special Education Position and am waiting for the call either way. The other school had a special education opening that I applied for, but never got the call for an interview. They already have my information--do you think applying for the special education positions first would hurt my chances?

Thanks guys, I love having people to bounce my questions off of. This forum has been very helpful to me so far--I get a lot out of just reading your posts.