Emergency Drawer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heymiss, Aug 22, 2009.

1. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

My school starts on Monday :eek: and I'm trying to think of things that I should keep in an "emergency" drawer in my desk, for my own use.

I'm thinking things like an extra pair of contacts, deodorant, Pepto, Tums, Advil, and bandaids.

Does anyone else keep a drawer or box like this? What do you put in it?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

I don't have a designated drawer, really, but I have some feminine products, a small amount of cash, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, and lotion stashed in my room.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

I'd keep one full change of clothes. Last year, a colleague spilled coffee all down the front of my pants. Can't take the day off and go home like a regular job. Bell was ringing in 5 minutes. Fortunately, because I bike to school, I had clothes to change into.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

"Female products' of course. Immodium! Never go without immodium. You don't have time to wait for pepto to kick in.

Change for the soda machine is also important.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 22, 2009

In some of the Ladies bathrooms at my school, we have a stash of women products, lotion, etc in there already. I always keep my purse fulled stashed with monthly women products, but I have kept things like Advil, gum, teeth cleaners (those things you slip onto your finger to clean off your teeth and tongue), and some snack bars in my desk.

I would recommend keeping some kind of snack for you have in your desk--- there have been a few times where my blood sugar has dropped and I had to snack on something or I had to skip lunch.

For the bad days, a chocolate stash is always nice and can be shared with other teachers too. I made a few teachers very happy with the Russian chocolate stash my Mom gave me mid-way through the school year (especially since most of it had alcohol in them.. hehehe :D ).

But having some kind of extra jacket to wear or an extra watch in case yours dies is nice too.

7. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

These are great ideas.

Would you believe we don't have a vending machine? I put a mini fridge in my room, so I can have caffeine/sugar on demand anyway. A teacher down the hall has a coffee maker in her room! I think another one is bringing a microwave. We do have a lounge, but it's downstairs and we're upstairs.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

We don't have a vending machine. We are also not allowed to have minfridges or micros in our rooms (huge no-no in our district -- will lead to a letter of warning and confiscation of the appliance when found, and dismissal from your job if there is a repeated infraction). We cannot have coffee makers, hot pots, anything.. no appliances. We even have to get special permission to bring in a burner to do a science experiement! It isn't just the cost of electricity -- it is the fire hazard caused by some who overload the circuts or bring old applicances that don't work well. The district had several fires caused by overloaded circuits, and cracked down HARD.

One other hint -- if you keep a snack at your desk, make sure to bring a tupperware type container to put it in. Schools are notorious for having mice -- and you don't want to attract them into your desk.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

I keep Advil, Gas-X, individually-wrapped peppermint Lifesavers, teabags, and real sugar. We have a fridge in our department workroom down the hall where I keep a package of string cheese for nutrition. I use a Sunbeam Hotshot that I keep under my desk to heat water for my tea - it's faster than the antique microwave in the workroom!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 22, 2009

Can you believe they won't let us us our mini fridge in our classrooms this year! They said it costs electricity.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

I can, cutNglue. They have been banned in our district for 5 years now. We have 2 large staff fridges -- and they are always overflowing and nasty. And, people take yoru stuff...often overnight...so you can't leave anything there and be sure it will be there later or the next day. :(

12. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

This is why I wanted my own fridge. Since we don't have a vending machine, I think I might have some kind of Incredible Hulk-type rage if someone stole my last Dr Pepper. Also, the one in the lounge is so tiny, it's almost a joke.

As far as I know, nobody specifically asked permission to keep appliances in our rooms. I just know that it was done last year and saw some people carrying in fridges and coffee makers, so I brought mine, too. Our school seems to have a pretty hands-off administration, and as long as you're not causing problems, it sounds like you're pretty much left alone to do your own thing. I did make sure to get an appliance-grade extension cord so I'm less likely to start a fire, though. My room only has TWO outlets!

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

I have gum, mints, floss, a nail clipper set, a mini sewing kit, a brush, chapstick, pepto (will never do imodium again) advil, money for the vending machine, deodorant, make-up compact. I think that's about it.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

The things on my list have already been listed; I also keep an extra sweater in my closet and a couple of pairs of shoes under my desk and a pair of boots behind my door.

We aren't allowed mini-fridges, microwaves or other appliances in our classrooms. (I can have a coffee-maker in my office because I don't have students in my room).

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Some things I keep around -

Sweater or school logo sweatshirt or cardigan for cold days.

Slippers or spare shoes in case the ones I am wearing become unbearable (Mens plain slippers in brown or black can usually fool people as real shoes).

Lotion, chapstick, change, female products, tweezers, a little mirror, advil, pepto, some kind of snack, gum

some kind of meal that doesn't need refrigerated. I might try those healthy choice things this year. Usually I keep a couple of those campbell's soup at hands. I also used to keep mini cans of veggies in my desk, so that if I felt like I wasn't getting enough veg, I could just nuke a can and add it to my burger from the cafeteria or whatever.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Oh, and a bowl and cup.

17. ms_first123

ms_first123 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I might have missed it somewhere, but don' forget your Tide To Go pen or some sort of stain remover.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 23, 2009

A flashlight, a small hammer, at least 2 screwdrivers (flat head/phillips). I have a hammer that the handle unscrews and has different types of screwdrivers. I always have change and a couple dollars in cash. Safety pins and a small sewing kit/needle & thread set come in handy too.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

My sewing kit always gets a workout during the year, from kids needing uniform repair. The boys in particular give me a double take I when I show them how to start, then hand the blazer over to them to finiish. One time this year, the dean of men was waiting behind me; I think he was happy to see the guys getting the work to do themselves.

My sweater is incredibly handy. I bring in either a black or a white cardigan (I have both) and it lives in my room all year.

Safety pins also come in handy, mostly for the kids.

Because I wear stockings almost every day, I keep some of those too (though in a pinch the dean of women always has some.)

20. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

New to my emergency drawer is a small bottle of saline. Last year, and don't ask me how, I put my contacts in the wrong eyes! I couldn't see straight at all. (How I didn't notice until I got to school, I can't say.) I had to wait until my break at 11:30 to get down to the nurse!

21. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Many of the previous items along with:
    throat drops (Ricola Cherry)
    spare pair of shoes (usually "tennies")/socks
    umbrella (golf size)
    eyeglass wipes
    vitamin c tablets
    hand lotion
    antibac hand wipes/hand sanitizer
    (over the years, I've found not touching kids
    stuff and not using sink kept me healthier)
    extra gallon of bottled water (to refill water bottle)
    nail file

22. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 23, 2009

In my room, I always make sure I have lotion, chap stick, advil, cough drops, gum, dental floss, deodorant, and band aids.

23. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Guess they didn't want to stop at the grocery store for dinner
    :lol: Okay, seriously...that would make me very angry!!! Another reason why I keep my lunch in my room in an insulated lunch bag that I refill each day.

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Off topic threadjack:

I just had a brilliant idea to solve the refrigerator problem. District buys small, energy efficient refrigerators and then rents them to teachers for $10 a month.

25. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Agree with the immodium!!!:lol: I also keep a change of clothes in my closet, a winter coat and heavy sweater. I always have something to snack on at recess, I'm starving by then!!

26. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

good idea:thumb:

27. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

Thats funny, my district is charging us this year to use our refrigerators and microwaves. Something like $70 and $30 I think. I'll pay it because our appliances in the lounge are disgusting. I can't believe how people could make such messes and spills and never clean it. Oh, and stealing food is fairly often here too.

Back on Topic, I keep Motrin, female products, tooth brush, tooth paste, floss, cough drops, deodorant, lotion, gum, tide 2 go pen, batteries, brush, head band, umbrella, and vodka.

By my "kitchen" I keep food and drinks.

In a backpack I keep a complete change of clothes including shoes.

28. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

29. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 23, 2009

30. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

tools (hammer, screwdrivers, tape measure) I use these all the time!!!

feminine items

hair brush, body spray, deodorant, tooth brush/toothpaste, nail file, nail clippers, lotion, petroleum jelly (for when the kids have chapped lips), chapstick,

advil, allergy meds, mucinex, tums, zinc lozenges, cough drops

snacks that stay good for a while & pop tarts for when I am running late in the morning

super glue

baggie of condiments (ketchup, jelly, mustard, taco sauce)

31. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

Just remember if you work with little people that all the meds are locked up! All it takes is to turn your head for one second and a big "uh-oh" could happen.

32. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 23, 2009

I also keep a small sewing kit and some safety pins for wardrobe malfunctions ;)

33. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 23, 2009

??????????

34. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

A lint brush comes in handy at times.

35. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

Jeeez I thought no one was going to catch that one. hahahahahahaha

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I missed it the first time, as well! If you do have some stashed away, I'll keep your secret if you promise to share! :lol: (kidding...)

37. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2009

My mini-fridge has extra water and Sprite, but I would like to get a box this year as well to put a few items in, particularly feminine products and Excedrin so I am not suffering greatly throughout the day.

38. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I use a large index card file box (5x7), I have a few feminine products, tylenol, benadryl, fingernail clippers, emery board, pony holder, barretts, brush, deodorant, super glue, Scope, comb, foundation, mascara, eye shadow, tinted lip gloss, toothbrush and toothpaste, about $7 in cash (in case we decide to order in lunch) and change for the vending machine, oh and body spray.

I keep the box in a cabinet in my office. In my closet in the office I have a coat and a pair of socks.

On the back of my chair I have a cardigan.

In my fridge I have bottled water, soda (I always carry those flavored water mixins), cup of fruit, string cheese. On top I have a box of crackers and some campbell soup at hand.

I think that's it-typing it up it looks like a lot.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  39. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I need to buy some new makeup so I can leave the half-used stuff in my desk. I've just been toting my makeup bag back and forth, but one of these days, I know I'm going to accidentally leave it somewhere and not be able to get to it when I need it.

40. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

I forgot about my mini-fridge. It is new this year. So far, I have kept my lunch in there and also whatever else I need (currently, celery for an experiment). I also have 2-3 sweaters on the back of my chair.

My items are in the bottom of my rolling cart behind my table. The kids know not to go back there.

41. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 24, 2009

I keep generic blank cards (or thank you cards) in my desk. You never know when a co-worker could use some encouragement, or a student brings you flowers, etc. They've come in real handy in the last 8 years.