Embarrassing?!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Apr 8, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 8, 2011

Anyone ever done anything embarrassing at work? Something that you just did not want to go to school the next week?

It happened to me this week. I made it through the week but I am so mortified. I can't tell you all what happened for fear someone from my school on here will read this.

Lets just say there were a couple of families that are furious with me!! And I'm sure the staff has a lot to talk about now.

This happened Monday but I made it through the week. Afraid it will be hard to make it through another.

I want to cry. It was soo bad. Make me feel better and day you have.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2011

Just keep telling yourself...this, too, will pass...this, too, will pass...
    The good thing is that pretty soon someone else will do something and you will become old news.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 8, 2011

I thought for sure I had locked the door to the staff bathroom.

Apparently not.

Out of all the people in the school to walk in on me, it had to be one of only three male teachers on the staff.

Em-barr-ess-ing.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 8, 2011

Jem thats pretty bad! I can't even imagine. I just can't seem to get over this. All week I have been a wreck. IT will pass but when.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2011

Three words: Total Tampon Failure.

It's a good thing I keep a change of clothes in my room.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2011

Haven't had one of those moments, but :hugs: to those of you who have!

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 8, 2011

yep - I return to work while I was still nursing my youngest daughter. We had been in school about three weeks and I hadn't had any issues with "leaking" so I decided one day I didn't need to wear any protection in my bra. About mid-way through 3rd hour, I noticed ALL my students staring, open-mouthed at me. "What's up with ya'll" I asked. One of my students replied, "what's happening to you?" I looked down to see two huge wet circles on the front of my shirt!!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2011

Woah, this must have really been embarrassing for you! Nothing clse to that has happened to me at work.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2011

Jem,

I can't tell you how many times I look at the bathroom lock while I'm on the john and worry that it isn't locked. It opens right onto the first grade hallway. There's no hiding anything if I forget. I can't quite reach the lock, so I just stare at it.

Turns out there are other teachers who worry about the same thing at my school with that particular bathroom!

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2011

yep - sixteen years ago and it's still very vivid in my mind :)

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2011

I have an embarrassing funny that I can't share it openly here...but if you (or anyone else) wants to feel a little better about yourself, just send me a PM. :p

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

I was reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn to my 3 seniors. I had just been saying Huck Finn since we started. Well one day, I almost transposed the first letters of his name. :eek: I was half way through the f word before I stopped. I didn't say it though! And we had a good laugh.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 9, 2011

You guys are making me feel a little better but its NOTHING compared to what I did.
    And over and over people keep bringing it up and asking me about it.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2011

oh come on ;) nothing could be as bad a two giant milk circles on your ta-ta's in front of a class of high schoolers

I am sure what ever it was VANewbie, as others have suggested, this to will pass. I think we are sometimes are own worst enemy when it comes to this kind of thing. You just need to come up with a good answer when asked about the event that will keep people from asking anymore.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 9, 2011

I was sitting on a stool during a guided reading lesson. It was a little wobbly but I thought nothing of it. I went to reach across the table and the stool broke beneath me. It was like slow motion as I was going down. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't 2 other adults in the classroom:blush:. The students reminded me about it for about a month and then it was forgotten, lol.

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 9, 2011

Seriously its worse than any of this. I have no good answer. I'm just sick of people talking about it.

18. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 9, 2011

Can you think of some funny little comment to say and then shrug it off? People will soon get the hint.

Big hugs though! Just think though--you've made it through the first week and that's always the worst! Something else will happen (to someone else) and that will make people move on in the conversation.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

Well, not something accidental.

But I did have to go braless to work for a week. Let's remember that one of those two "ladies" was 50 years old at the time, and that I teach in a coed high school.

And my friend's daily greeting of "How's it hanging, Alice?" only made it funnier.

20. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Apr 9, 2011

I coughed and passed gas at the same time once. I don't know who was more shocked: me or the kids. I just said excuse me and went on with the lesson but my face was red!

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 9, 2011

I did the same thing! I looped with that group of kids & every once in a while someone would bring it up.

I also said the word B*&%ch. I was doing a read aloud, the word was witch.

I had a friend send home a letter, the word was suppose to be shirt, she left out the r.

Things happen. It's too bad that whatever it is, people feel the need to keep bringing it up. :hugs:

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 9, 2011

My first full day as a substitute teacher, I grabbed a pair of pants with a zipper that tends to "unlock" at times. I was teaching the first period and had walked around the room for about 30 minutes before one of the 8th grade boys finally had pity and told me the "barn door was open". :eek:

Just a few weeks ago, I was subbing for a coworker during the morning. The class had been given a vocabulary assignment, but several of them were doing more socializing than working. I walked over to one group and sat down on an empty desk in front of them to get them back on task. Unfortunately, the front legs on the desks in this room are not even with the front corners. As soon as I sat down, I felt the desk start to tip and I knew there was nothing I could do but go along for the ride - falling flat of my backside in front of the entire class!

I just sat there, laughed with them and said "THAT is why you should never sit on your desks." :lol:

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

Thanks guys. You are slowly making me feel better.
    I guess because there are a couple of parents/families involved it makes it worse.
    If it had anything to do with the kids then that would be embarrassing but I could get over it.

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2011

Now That is funny I mever have tyops

25. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

You guys I am so afraid to go to work tomorrow!!! Another week with my situation all over again.

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 10, 2011

Afraid because of the embarrassment or are you being harrassed?

:hugs: VANewbie - I know this probably won't may any difference, but we really almost always our own worst enemy when it comes to these types of things. We tend to beat ourselves up much more than others do.

But if you are being harrassed, that's an entirely different situation.

27. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

i'm not being harassed but people just can not let it go. Even people I do not talk to want to know what happened and tell me what they heard.

I'm so mortified and I do not want to talk about it. but I feel like if I do not explain myself everyone will be looking at me and wondering or assuming.

I hate this.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2011

Yes
    .this, too, will pass...this, too, will pass...

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 11, 2011

Whatever it is, you Do Not have to explain yourself. Unless the party asking is directly involved in whatever it was, you can reply "that is between me and <insert appropriate person>", and walk away. Make it clear that whatever the incident was is simply not open to discussion. You DO NOT have to put up with harassment. What you are describing is harassment.

I hope your week gets better. Things will eventually calm down.

30. GreenTea

GreenTea Rookie

Apr 11, 2011

I burst into the staff bathroom while one of the school's two male teachers was using it. It was the first day of school, and we had not yet met, but later at a meeting, when someone introduced us, he said, "We've met - sort of" and laughed and I was about to die in my seat!

At least we know that that situation is embarrassing for everyone involved. :lol:

Another time, I was on after school duty, walking around to make sure the kids were in the right places. I caught a young couple cuddling up in an alleyway between two buildings. As I admonished them, a gust of wind blew through and I felt my skirt lift up. I don't think it would have lifted all the way, but in a panic, I pushed it down with my hands and the kids laughed pretty hard about it.

31. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 13, 2011

It has passed!

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 13, 2011

yea!! :hugs: so happy for you VA :hugs:

33. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2011

Please don't feel bad. Once my doctor put me on blood thinners, and I had no idea it would affect the volume of..well..you know.. Long story short, I had to leave work early and sneak out a back door ..:eek:

34. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2011

I will never forget the story that someone told me about an embarrassing incident at Wal-mart. She had to use the restroom quite badly or she wouldn't have gone in there. She was pleasantly surprised to see how clean it was, but it was only noted in a quick passing blur because she had to get to the toilet. She had diarhea, you see. Her youngest daughter, 5, was with her. She told her to stand right there at the stall door so that "Mommy can see your legs." Luckily no one was in there.

So the little girl made comments about Mommy's noises, but that wasn't the worst. When Mommy went to flush the toilet, it overflowed. Now Mom is trying to get out of there before the overflow comes sweeping out the stall, and her daughter is being difficult about moving, but Mom pushes her out of the way and Mommy races out the door and over to the sink. Little daughter stands there looking at the coming tide and starts exclaiming about it. Mommy is afraid someone is going to walk in any second while her daughter is exclaiming over "what Mommy had done."

She gets out of the bathroom, and it's right beside the help desk, so she says to the girl at the desk, "Umm, the toilet is overflowing in there," and what does the little girl say? "My Mommy...." is as far as she got before Mom clamped a hand over her daughter's mouth and dragged her away.

35. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2011

Last Friday when Jeannie and I were in the ladies' room at Wal Mart, a MAN came in.:eek: He looked at me and Jeannie ( we were thankfully drying our hands at the sink!) and says 'Oops. I'm in the wrong one.'

36. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

When my husband worked nights and I got dressed in the dark everyday, I came to school with my slacks on inside-out one day; two different shoes (same style, different color) and once with a lovely black and orange shirt-over blue pants. It doesn't sound like a tragedy, but it looked horrid-people looked at me like I was crazy and I felt the need to explain to everyone why I was dressed rather strangely. Little things, but they add up! I now dress in the light!

37. nitsirk

nitsirk New Member

Apr 14, 2011

Really happy to hear that, sounds like it was very uncomfortable for you... good job reaching out!

I don't have any hugely embarrassing stories to share...I got most of those experiences out of the way in adolescence, it seems! Whew, those were some hard times.... But I have done some minor but foolish mistakes like typos in worksheets I made up, forgetting I had a class when in fact I did, or being outsmarted by a kid upon making an unthinkable error (that's right, nitsirk, it was EDISON not Einstein who invented electricity! :dizzy:)

Sigh, anyway, great advice and support here. Good thread....

38. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 14, 2011

Thanks everyone! I am just so glad its over.