Embarrassing moment

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maebowler, Nov 1, 2006.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 1, 2006

I work in a 4th grade classroom in the afternoon as a paraprofessional. This afternoon the teacher was asking the students if they knew when the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. I was moving around the classroom getting my students homework ready. I hear the teacher saying nobody knows when the Mayflower landed. Then I hear Miss E. do you know when they landed? Of course I don't. I just sat there and was like I was hoping you weren't going to ask me. Talk about on the spot. I know I should know and I may have if I thought about it for a while, but I was trying to get the homework ready to go. Poor excuse I know, but how embarrassing and stupid I felt.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 1, 2006

OOPS, I don't know! Right before winter?! Lol.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2006

Being a Canadian teaching Soc. Studies in the US is hard. I also do not have any textbooks. I tend to depend on my parapros for answers but I let them know ahead of time :). I also have an internet site ready for those questions neither of us have answers for.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 1, 2006

My teacher will glance at me and raise her eyebrow like she is gonna ask and I will shake my head no and she doesn't ask. HAHA. OR she might say "do you have something to add." If I was in the middle of homework though, I might have been a bit thrown off. BTW, what was the answer?

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2006

I'll ask my parapro and get back to you tomorrow:).

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 1, 2006

The answer was 1620. The teacher knew the answer. He was just upset that nobody knew the date. They are in 4th grade. I was a little surprised, but also wasn't paying that much attention. I should have been lucky that I even knew the question.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 1, 2006

Look on the bright side. At least you can spell embarrassing.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 1, 2006

Yeah, I think it was in June or July? of 1620.

Definitely an embarrassing moment, but we've all had them. There have been many times I've been asked questions by colleagues or students and had to say, "You know, I don't know off the top of my head..." ;)

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2006

Hey, it's okay. I bet most people wouldn't know either if they were put on the spot.

11. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Nov 2, 2006

I always come back with..."I'm not sure, but I know where to look it up and FIND the answer." It's a great way to look HUMAN in front of our students and teach them how to use different reference sources.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 2, 2006

I had to look it up in my social studies manual. They left England on Sept. 16, 1620 and landed sometime in November. It doesn't give a specific date though.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 2, 2006

This came from the Plymouth Plantation website.

November 11, 1620
    The Mayflower anchors in Provincetown Harbor, the passengers having decided to settle in New England.

14. jeepNteach

jeepNteach Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

I have a relative from 13 genrations ago that was actually on the Mayflower and I didn't even know. I knew it was early 1600s, though. =P

15. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Nov 2, 2006

Me too! I had several relatives come over, My relative (John Howland) fell off the boat and was rescued, he met (while on the voyage) and married (after landing)my great etc.....grandmother,

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 2, 2006

I also have relatives that came over on the Mayflower. One of them was one of the people who signed the Mayflower Compact and then died that first winter in Plymouth.

17. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

I hate embarrassment, it's really such an obnoxius feeling to experience, especially in class. My experience is that when teachers experience embassment, the class tries hard to not realise that the teacher did something embarrassing. Like, when a teacher squeaks, the class starts talking about something else or we make an effort to ask questions about work. Just something to try and take their mind off what happens.

And if it makes you feel better, I dont even know what "mayflower" is

:)

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 3, 2006

The Mayflower is the ship that the English settlers (Pilgrims) sailed on to America in 1620 before landing in Massachusetts and starting the first colony there (Plymouth).

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 3, 2006

For more on this topic than almost anyone can stand, try reading the recent book, "The Mayflower." It was good!

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 3, 2006

Actually it wan't the first colony. It was the second colony in America, first in New England. Jamestown in Virginia was the first permanent colony.

I once nearly fainted in a seventh grade class while practice teaching a lesson. The classroom teacher had to walk/drag me down the hall to the nurses office. Talk about embarassing!

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2006

I said it was the first colony there, meaning that Plymouth was the first colony in Massachusetts (or New England for that matter). I can see how it could have been read wrong, though.

Don't worry. I'm well aware of Jamestown. ;)

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 4, 2006

This is why I teach preschool... LOL I can't remember a lot of dates in history and all those names. I have enough trouble remembering my students' names, especially if the kids look alike!! LOL
    I just gotta remember how to count to 10, my ABC's, colors, shapes, etc. LOL!!

23. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

I wouldn't be so sure about preschool being easy...I had a student ask me last week whether there were butterflies on Noah's Ark...hmmm....

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2006

Yes, 2 of every animal, so I imagine God thought of butterflies too. I wasn't there though. God is wonderful!

25. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

Actually, there is a commentary on the bible that says that not all insects were on the ark...how do you explain commentaries to 3 year olds?

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2006

You don't. You tell them, you imagine beautiful butterflies being there. They might have been, but he/she can ask God when he/she sees God one day. And that was a FABULOUS question. Great thinking (name)!