Emails to Principals

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Krystin, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 29, 2020

I am applying to jobs in the county I am moving to. I am trying to get my name to stand out above the tons of applications sent in. I plan to email the principals to these schools in order to try to get some interviews. Does anyone have any ideas on what to say in these emails?
    I was thinking about introducing myself and my background, telling why I would be a good fit with my experiences, and telling them I would appreciate the opportunity for an interview to talk to them about the position then attaching my resume.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2020

Most people here recommend that you don't cold call (email) principals. Especially at this uncertain time, they have enough to do without reading unsolicited emails.

We advise that you follow the guidance of their application process. Usually that means to file your application online. Often it specifically says not to contact schools.

Does this lessen your chances of standing out? Yes, but it gives no one else a better chance of standing out, either.

Good luck with your job search.

bella84 likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 29, 2020

I agree. Don’t bother emailing principals. They don’t like that. Just follow the guidelines stated in the application process. Let your resume and cover letter do the standing our for you. If you’re worried that it won’t stand out on its own, then find a way to beef it up.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 29, 2020

I was going to say exactly this.
    Usually principals don't even look at the applications. They're being screened out at the district office, credentials checked and then they schedule the interviews and that's when the principal finds out how many applicants they have etc. Emailing them would be bothersome and confusing.

The best chance you have at standing out is with an amazing cover letter. The cover letter's job is to get them to look at your resume and your resume's job is to get them to call you for an interview. And then your job at the interview is to get them to hire you :)
    So your education and experiences will speak for themselves, but only after they saw your amazing cover letter. And then you at the interview, your personality and the things you say is the major determining factor. It's like building a house or baking a cake. You're the icing :)

whizkid and bella84 like this.
  6. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 29, 2020

Okay, so if I want to change up my resume somehow, for a position I applied to but they don’t allow for you to change your resume or application after that. I can withdraw, but it says to only apply once to a posting so it’d probably not the way to go. Do you just let it go by and hope for the best?

7. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 29, 2020

Thank you for your input. Does it go through the district still if you apply to a specific school for a specific grade level? I’ve gotten an interview but it was only because my name was given to the principal by a contact, and they invited me to an interview from that. What would you put in a cover letter to make it stand out from others?

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 29, 2020

You could either let it go and hope for the best, or you could contact HR and let them know that you’ve updated your resume since your initial application. Ask them if it’s possible to send your new version to them.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 29, 2020

Don’t do it right now. Principals are dealing with so many other things as they try to wrap up this school year. They need to focus on all of that before dealing with any new staffing needs.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2020

Yes, unless you see a job posting that directly gives the principal's email address or another email address then hold off on it for now. I noticed that when I applied to 3 different private schools the posting gave an email address but I'm assuming it's because the private schools had smaller HR departments so most info went directly to the principal which is not true in most public school districts.

11. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 30, 2020

The schools in the system I am applying to are filling multiple positions daily and holding zoom interviews daily. One principal actually called me for an interview that I couldn't make due to a conference call with my current principal, and she said should would give me another time but didn't because she filled the position already. I got a position filled email two days later. I have applied for 50+ openings in just one county, and so far over 30 openings have been filled. It seems that the principals are carrying on with hiring and interviewing at this time in all four counties I have applied, so that is why I am getting worried about getting a new job and trying to find a way to stand out among the other online applicants.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 30, 2020

I think if the district is big enough, it's the district office that handles all that. My district is very small, 3 schools and that even includes juvenile hall, and it was HR that contacted me for the interview. At the interview my P was there (and 2 others from the school) and they explained that after that HR will check my references, and make their recommendation to my P.
    It was HR to call me with the job offer and to go and get fingerprinted and then to sign the contracts. It wasn't until this very last phase I got to talk to me P (she called me)

I would ALWAYS include a cover letter. A resume is just a collection of facts about you, a cover letter lets you stand out and say what you have to say, let your personality show and sell yourself (at least for them to take notice, read your resume and call you in). You want them to be curious / interested and want to at least meet you.

bella84 likes this.
  13. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 30, 2020

Oh okay, for the district I am applying, the applications are filled out separately for each school and teaching position, and I have only had contact with the assistant principals and principals for interview set up and decisions. They mentioned that they look through all of the applications to pick and set up interviews. I don't think the HR is very involved in all of it. The applications in this county ask for a letter of interest rather than a cover letter, and it has to be uploaded in a separate file from the resume. They are very specific in what documents to attach. Should I use my letter of interest to serve as my cover letter?

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2020

A letter of interest and a cover letter are the same thing.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 30, 2020

I was always confused about this. I know ow to do a cover letter but wasn't sure about the letter of interest. Once I've read that it's simply just expressing interest in the position, but I feel that it's pointless, simply applying expresses interest, right? :)

16. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 30, 2020

According to my research on this, they are very similar but do have a few small differences.

17. Krystin

Krystin Guest

Apr 30, 2020

That is exactly what I thought about it too. I looked up ideas on how to form a good letter of interest and did my best to beef it up! Here's to hoping.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2020

In our field, they're interchangeable. If you're looking for a teaching position, you can send a letter of interest or a cover letter, but they will say the exact same thing: you're interested in a teaching position at the district/school. In other fields, they may differ only in that one expresses general interest in a company (but not interest in a specific role), while the other expresses interest in a specific role and accompanies your resume when you apply for that role. I would argue that you should send your resume with you and that the only difference would be one sentence where you state why you're sending the letter. The bulk of the letter is going to be the same regardless, especially in education.

vickilyn likes this.