Emailing Schools That Do Not Have a Vacancy

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jess93, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

What are your thoughts on emailing principals at schools that do not have a listed vacancy? I've been checking for vacancies at this one district for months, and they never posted an elem position. It's a large district, so I almost thinking they don't update the site much.

Thanks for your input in advance! I went through a 5 round interview and ended up not getting the job, so I'm back searching again. :(

3. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 24, 2015

omg a 5 round interview!!! Never heard of such a thing! SO SORRY!

But I am planning to send cold emails as well. Just to have my name in front of the P

That could be a county that no one leaves -you might have to wait until someone dies - that's about how it is here.

4. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

Yes, it was technically 4, but they had me do two second rounds (1 for each grade). It still seemed promising, though.

What's a cold email? An email no-vacancy schools?

The area is notorious for teachers leaving for whatever reason, so I'm rather surprised nothing was posted.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 24, 2015

Do many or any of these schools use Applitrack for online applications? That is a great way to keep applications on file, which you can periodically update, to keep them fresh. So sorry to hear about the continued search. Any chance of getting constructive feedback from this go-round? Could help, and they may feel obliged with that many interviews.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2015

I applied to a school when no jobs were listed and they hired me. I also applied to another school with no openings and while they really had no openings, the lady liked me so much she hooked me up with a summer job.

So yeah, it's worth it!!

7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 24, 2015

The only thing I would say is check with the district to make sure it's ok to email principals about jobs. The district I sub in says not to contact schools about job listings, and if that's the case they may not respond or it could cost you your chance at a job in the district.

Hopefully that's not the case though, and you're good to email! It can't hurt to ask, especially because job listings don't always get updated in a timely manner (like you said).

8. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

I will email the school just to put my name out there.

In regard to the other school, I received a very generic (my name was inserted) email. I felt rather confident about getting the job, especially since the principal said the final interview was perfect after I finished answering the questions. The interview took place with several teachers, as well, so I'm thinking they played a huge part in deciding who got the position.

When I got the email, I promptly replied thanking them, explaining what I learned from being so involved with the interviews at that school for the past month, and asking for them to keep me in mind if anything happened. I never heard back from them.

I should have asked for feedback, but I guess I didn't want to hear it at the time because I was rather upset.

9. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

As for applitrack, yes many of them do, but this district happens to be a bit of an oddity.

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

I snail mailed all my resumes to as many schools as I could, directed to the principal. The New Teacher Finder system in NYC really sucks so I didn't rely on that. Was greatful for the decision I made. So I'd send emails/snail mail regardless. The worst that could happen is them not looking at your resume. But it will be in front of them.

11. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 25, 2015

That's what I did getting my job for next year.

They had a position posted I wasn't interested in by I just emailed the principal asking about potential openings in the next few weeks and they called saying they had a position just open up that had been sent to HR to post and I interviewed for it and got it.

Another school in a different district, the principal told me they didn't have anything right now but in 2 weeks there would be a position open so to be on the lookout for that. Sure enough, it just posted.

Some places say not to email but at this point in the summer you have to be on it because hiring is peak right now.

email, Email, EMAIL.

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2015

I have emailed my resumes/cover letters out and gotten replies back (on more than one occasion!) saying that yes, they do have vacancies, they just have not posted them yet. And they never had to because they hired me for the position :)

13. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I email the principal cold in little districts because they don't use applitrack that often in little districts. I usually get a response that my materials have been recieved, but only once has it led to an interview.