Emailing Principals

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vateacher757, Jul 18, 2014.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

Ok well I am still searching for a teaching position for the upcoming school year. I had 2 interviews soon after school ended. I heard from 1 that I did not get it but have not heard from the other, I am assuming I was not chosen for that either.

So far nothing that I would be qualified for as a teacher has posted so I was thinking of emailing some of the Principals at the high schools near me. I have not emailed any Principals only completed the online application for each district as required.

Would you email only or would you also attach a resume? What should my email say?

TIA

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

I always attach my resume and a cover letter. I usually just type a short message stating the reason for my email.

Some people prefer to make the body of the email the cover letter and only attach a resume.

4. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I do the same as giraffe326: attach my school specific cover letter and resume to the email. In the body of the email, I introduce myself and give my certifications. I explain that I am seeking a full time teaching position and to contact me if any additional information is needed.

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you both!!

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 20, 2014

I just sent out a few emails to Principals....time is getting closer to when teachers report and then when students report.

7. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

Good luck to you! Remember to email even if there isn't a position listed. This year I got two interviews: one from a position that was just listed the day I sent the email (she replied back the next morning and since I was going to that state the next week, we set up an interview for then- and I got the job offer that day), and one from a school who had no positions open at the time I applied. However, when one opened up I got the call. This one was scheduled for after the other one so I ended up canceling it.

I also wanted to say that the last time I looked for a job, it was not as simple OR quick as this time! I had interviews the last week of July/beginning August and got a job offer in August, so there is still plenty of hope! Even if it might not feel like it at some points. :)

8. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 22, 2014

My state uses Schoolspring to apply for jobs....would you all recommend still emailing Ps even if I apply through there???

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

For last minute openings, a principal is probably not going to find candidates through an electronic system that probably requires the district's HR to manage the process. When a P has an opening pop up a week before school starts, they're going to look for someone immediately, which is why so many of us recommend emailing Ps directly. My state primarily uses EdJoin, but I landed my first job by emailing.

Good luck.

10. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

I've had to do online stuff for each district, but I still always send an email. It doesn't always work, but the only interviews I've gotten have come from schools where I've emailed the principals. One district I applied to showed how many applicants applied to each position, and there were never less than 500; some that I applied to had over 1,000. This is the only district where I've had more than one interview. I don't think there's any way I would have gotten an interview if I didn't make contact myself.

11. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 22, 2014

Wow, interesting!! I've always heard the opposite, so it's cool to hear that you guys have had success with emailing. I guess I will give it a shot - it can't hurt right?

What do you typically say in an email / attach?

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Update: I emailed 4 schools/principals....only one I knew had an openoing that I was partially qualified for........that school called me today for an interview for that position....although I will be out of town on vacation on the day they want to interview they will do it via facetime.