Emailing Principals

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nattyj21, Aug 10, 2010.

1. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

OK, so I finally created an online portfolio. I am feeling like time is running out, but from what I hear their is still time. I want to get my portfolio, resume, etc... to as many principals as possible.
    I am single and willing to go pretty much anywhere. I have been looking since May 08, had to sell my house in mean time, so I am literally packed and ready to go anywhere.
    All my job fairs, going in person, mailing my information, etc... has gone no where so far. My question is how should I go about emailing principals? Should I email as many as a I can doing a general email, or should I concentrate on an area and be more specific to each school? I want to reach as many as I can, but don't want to just spin my wheels (since every day is going to count).

Any advice is appreciated!

3. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I would just start searching and finding email addresses and emailing principals through either the IL job bank or k-12 job spot. I would send a nice paragraph introducing yourself and your interest at their school and then attach your portfilio or resume/cover letters. Right now is crunch time so they will probably respond to your pretty quickly. I did this to land my job in IL and I know its worked with others. Whats your certification?

4. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Thanks bre.

I am certified k-8, plus endorsed in english/language arts and social science in middle level.

So, I emailed a bunch of principals today. Some I chose just by proximity. Some I chose by looking on IL job bank. I got a handful of responses, most were that they had no positions available. All of those I responded thanks, that I hoped they would keep me in mind for future openings and appreciated the quick response. However, I got one that doesn't have openings, but that the principal wanted to meet with me. I already have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow. It is an understatement to say I am excited.

I will be working on more emails tomorrow!!

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Good luck! I saw two openings near where I live and one at the school im working at. The one was a first grade, and the other at my school is either k,2,3, or 4th. PM me if you want more info. Its in central IL (not sure where your at). You seem like you have a ton of options with you certification! Let us know how it goes with the prinicpal! Good luck!