Emailing Principals - Subject Heading

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher Gii, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 25, 2013

What would be a good subject heading when emailing principals about interviewing or being considered for an interview at their school? I have emailed dozens and have only received about 2 responses. I know P's can be busy, receive hundreds of emails in any given day, and that emails can go straight to spam..but I am wondering what would be the BEST subject heading to increase chance of them actually opening up an email from a job seeker?

Side note: I also plan on sending packets eventually, but right now I am starting off with emails. Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Principals are probably opening most email...some could be from parents or staff...they can't possibly know from the email address who it may be. I'd go with something simple: inquiry, request, opening...

4. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 25, 2013

When I emailed principals, I would always put "Teaching Position at ***** Elementary" as the subject. It is normal to not receive a response back. I only received a response 10% of the time, and all of my interviews were with Ps who did not respond.

Good luck on the job search!

5. teachyouteachme

teachyouteachme Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

When I'm applying for a specific job that's posted on the district site, I put "___ grade teacher opening." When I'm just sending an email to be considered for any openings that may come up I put "Resume - My first and last name"

I've sent out several of these emails. I got one reply from a principal saying that there are no openings. Another one didn't reply to the email but she called me to set up an interview. No response yet from any of the others I've sent out this week.

Good luck!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2013

I usually tried to be move vague with the hope that more will open it. I've used opening, the name of the school, introduction, etc...

7. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

I also went for a vague subject line, ie "Kindergarten" if it is a K position. That way the principal is more likely to open it because it could be from a parent. I've had a little under half the principals respond to my emails, and about half of my interviews are from ones in which I've sent emails to the principals.

8. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 25, 2013

All excellent suggestions everyone! The ones I have sent have been something like, "Interviewing for Open Position - Resume Attached," but it didn't seem like anyone was biting so I have decided to try and take a different approach.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

That is a good point. A P is less likely to open your e-mail right away, if she/he thinks it is from "just" a job seeker. (And then that e-mail is more likely to get lost in the shuffle.) You guys got me thinking, maybe I should do this too... especially at places I've personally visited earlier this summer.

What would be the gist of it? Just say "I'm available"? Or do another introductory letter-like e-mail? Do you attach materials (again)?

10. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 26, 2013

I almost feel like sending another email to the schools that I have already sent to and change the subject line. The only problem is I would probably have to type a whole new email (the original is quite lengthy and more like a cover letter). So I guess just keep it brief?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

KISS principle...keep it simple sweetie.:D

12. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 26, 2013

:lol: Cute. Love it!

13. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 28, 2013

Not sure if its cuz I changed the subject heading, but I emailed a few principals on Friday..and two of them emailed me back. Granted, they told me they were currently fully staffed and would keep my email (we'll see), but at least they responded. I sent one right back thanking them for their reply and that I hope to hear from them in the near future *fingers crossed*

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Fingers and toes crossed!!