Emailing Principals or Department Heads & Applitrack

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, May 11, 2012.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 11, 2012

Hey guys! In NJ, a lot of school districts, especially large ones, use applitrack. For schools that use online applications, is it a good idea to email principals or department heads after applying through applitrack? I know some schools say they've gone "completely paperless," which means no emailed resumes, but other applitrack districts don't forbid email outright. What are your thoughts? I definitely want to email every principal of every school I'm interested in, but I'm not sure about the "applitrack districts."

Thank you, and sorry if someone already asked this question! :love:

3. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

May 11, 2012

Same is true here in IL. I always email either the DH or the Principal unless if it is expressly forbidden (there have only been a couple that have said "Do not attempt to contact the school in any way until you are contacted), in which case I figure it's better to not go there.

See my post from 2 days ago- emailing department heads has paid off way more than emailing principals!!!

The email is definitely a good idea though- gets your name out there at least! I haven't had any luck physically mailing resumes/cover letters.

4. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 11, 2012

I'm so tired of getting the generic "Good luck in your search" replies from principals!

5. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 11, 2012

My district uses Applitrack (blah). Within the online application it specifically says not to contact principals. HOWEVER, my principal will only interview people who come in and personally drop off resumes.

6. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

May 11, 2012

Me too. I understand that they don't have to reply at all. I truly do appreciate that they're sending an email back. What would be more helpful and take just as much time is to say, "At this time, I do or don't anticipate any openings in that subject/grade level next fall." That way, I at least know if I'm possibly barking up the wrong tree. It's probably not feasible, but it would sure be nice. It's not their responsibility either. I get that. It would just be awesome if they did it that way ;)

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 11, 2012

I always appreciate emails back, too, even if it's not what I want to hear. :) I applied to a ton of private schools (in PA, NJ, and DE) in January, and a lot of the principals wrote very kind letters saying they weren't sure of their staffing needs at the moment. I even got a personal phone call from a P, who told me the English department had a very low turnover rate and he didn't anticipate any openings, but I shouldn't be discouraged in the job hunt. I thought it was an amazing gesture, especially considering some people use the poor economy as an excuse to be unnecessarily cold/callous to job seekers.

Thanks for all the replies so far! It makes me want to send as many emails as possible, even if the district uses applitrack.

8. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 11, 2012

Honestly, we have 5 positions open and my principal didn't even look at applitrack. He picked people to interview that took the initiative to contact him beyond the application system (as I mentioned above). There are sooo many people floating around in that system that I think ANYTHING you can do to tell the P, "Hey, I'm here (and I rock!)," is a good idea.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

Unless it says specifically to not contact them, I don't think its a bad idea to send an email out to Ps and dept heads.

Where in NJ are you? My district (Mercer Cty) has a literacy coach and ms English position available, as long as they haven't expired yet. :)

10. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 12, 2012

I'm in Southern NJ, but I'm considering relocation to other parts of the state. Southern NJ's market is brutal because teaching seems to be a VERY VERY popular career choice here. The interview on Tuesday is in Monmouth, and I've definitely been applying to schools in Mercer too!