Emailing principals/department heads

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nyjets88, Jun 6, 2016.

1. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

I'm in my 3rd year of looking for a social studies position and getting very anxious now, so far no interviews for this upcoming year yet. Last year it picked up more in August, but still its hard to be patient.

Anyone have success emailing principals or department heads to go along with your application?

Assuming you don't say anything stupid in your email, is there any downside?

Is it better to email the principal, or the department head, or both? It's tough because different schools handle hiring differently, sometimes the principal isn't even in the interview at least for the first round.

Also, if you have interviewed at a school before, and not gotten the job, but were told, or thought you made a strong impression, is it a good idea to send an email referencing that, talking about enjoying your previous interview, and mention how you've grown?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 6, 2016

I have seen how many emails a principal and a department head can get in the course of a day. My gut instinct has always been that those random emails to applications that haven't been evaluated are deleted. If that is the case, they would be annoying, not beneficial. I think that sometimes we think we should email just because we can. I would suggest grooming the resume, cover letters, and interview skills before shooting off the emails, but I know some people swear by the email. I can never help but wonder if the candidates who emailed wouldn't have done just as well without the email. Maybe they had invested the time and effort in making sure all of their ducks were in a row before the emails went out. If the very last thing that they did was to email, do you think they credit the email, or the effort expended before the email? I know how I would answer - how about you?

4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 6, 2016

In my district, hiring a centralized process. You can put your name in for various schools along with your resume and a general cover letter. It seems like for the more coveted positions you have to know someone in the school to get in, and I've gotten interviews by emailing principals at some semi-desirable to mid-range schools. I think it REALLY depends on where you are, though, and the culture of hiring in your area.

5. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

I would send the email. Get your name to the front of the principal's mind! I have had good luck with dropping off a resume and introducing myself, even as they told me, "We do all our hiring through the website."

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2016

Send a cover letter and resume via snail mail. In this day and age, it might set you apart.

7. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

I'm in my third year of looking as well, and prior to last week, I never sent one email or made one call about an application to a principal. I didn't get a ton of interviews, but I did get some without the added bugging or whatever.

Last week, I send out two emails to principals a week after submitting my application just to say, "Did you get my application/had time to look at it?" "I'm still interested." etc. I heard absolutely nothing. So now I'm like, is there not a right or wrong way to do this?? Do I just leave it up to fate?? I have two other applications out there, and I considered emailing the principals, but after being ghosted, I decided not to.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2016

Email. Call the secretary and see if you can drop off an application. The process of getting resumes from HR to the building can be long and arduous... If we have a sudden opening, and you just happened to email us in that subject area within the last week, we will look at your resume! Just make sure you've completed the district application process first!