Emailing Principal

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Futureteacher08, May 14, 2015.

1. Futureteacher08

Futureteacher08 Rookie

May 14, 2015

Hi, So there are a couple of positions that have been posted for a school district. I have applied online, and the ad says to also email the HR Department, which I have. However, it has been a couple of weeks, and about I week ago I emailed them asking if they had gotten my application materials. They said that they had, but had not began the interviewing process. I am super curious, would it be okay to email my application materials to the principal?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 16, 2015

Some swear by it, some swear at it, some swear it increases your odds of an interview, while many administrators swear they will delete any emails that come in this form, and consider them to be in bad taste. I believe that new teacher candidates lack the experience to understand the way the system works, how slow the process can move, and just how normal that is. My gut feeling is that jobs supposedly gained from emails to the principal have happened in spite of the email, instead of because of the email. If a principal hates the email but that one errant candidate is exemplary in every other way, he may wisely consider that this is a candidate who will grow and mature with time, so he gives the applicant the benefit of the doubt. However, for the multitude of candidates who are closer to average, admin may not be as forgiving and actually hold that disrespect of the process against the applicant. That's just my opinion, but I have some good friends in admin and this comes up in conversation.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 17, 2015

I would say go for it unless it specifically says on the posting to not e-mail the principal. On some postings, it just says that there is a position but doesn't say the specific school. However, when it says the specific school for the position, my feeling is that they wouldn't say the name of the school if they absolutely didn't want the P to be contacted. I had one P e-mail me back (but no interview) and another actually respond to my e-mail and ask me to come in for an interview (but I had jury duty that day and they couldn't reschedule!). So based on that, I say go for it.