Emailing Principal after...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lessa99, May 25, 2012.

1. Lessa99

Lessa99 Rookie

May 25, 2012

Hey Friends, I completed an application for a district in which my future father in law has worked for the past 34 years! He left a message for the principal recommending me, and I want to proactively email the principal, but Im not sure how to phrase things...

Sample:

Dear Principal,

I am writing you this email in regards to the Social Studies teaching positions that have opened within District #. Upon the recommendation of "Father in Law" I have completed the application process including uploads of my Letter of Interest, Resume, Transcripts, and Teaching License.

I would like to express my interest to you as an applicant for these positions. I am available to speak further with you about any of my credentials at your earliest convenience. I have also attached my Letter of Interest and Resume for your review.

Thank You for your time and consideration, and I eagerly look forward to hearing from you!

Lessa99

How does this sound? Anything else I should add or omit? Any help would be appreciated before I send this out!

Thanks Friends, Lessa

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 25, 2012

Letter looks fine, but are you sure you want to work in the same district as your father-in-law...eep!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2012

Leave out the reference to your FIL. You don't want to emphasize any hint of nepotism.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 25, 2012

Relative recommendation... :(

6. Lessa99

Lessa99 Rookie

May 25, 2012

He is not my FIL yet, I haven't married yet, and it is kind of removed because it would be my wife's sister's husband's step father...haha...

So is a relative recommendation a bad thing? I just thought having anyone and everyone I can think of putting in a good word in this competitive market would be a good thing....

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 25, 2012

I think that mentioning people in the district who you've worked with in the past or who know of or have seen your work is a plus...but I don't know about relatives.

Also, I'm really not seeing how this guy qualifies as a "father in law". He would be your FUTURE (not current) brother in law's father...not your father in law.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 25, 2012

Only if they can attest to your abilities as a teacher. Even then, anyone who got a job without the "help" of a relative would resent it. It's tough enough to get a teaching job, having a relative shouldn't give anyone a step up on the competition.